How was your labour for second baby?

sharnw

Mum to soon to be 3
Reaction score
My 1st labour all up was 34 hours. That's counting from the 1st contraction :)
Hard labour (4-10cm) was 12 hours.
I was pushing for 45 minutes :)
I'm now wondering how it will turn out when I go with this baby.

My labours were quite different. From first contraction to being born ds took about 29 hours, dd i had 2 days of slow labour, where i wasn't sure if it was bh or labour, then once i knew i was in labour it was about 29 hours again. The difference for me was once in active labour (4cm) it took 7.5 hours with ds including 30mins of pushing, dd took 11.5 hours including 45mins of pushing, as i never progressed after 7cm. However even though dd took so much longer it was much more manageable and i enjoyed the labour alot more.

My 1st was about 6 hours start to finish. 2 hours of pushing.
2nd was maybe 9 hours from 3cm-delivery (I was 3cm for a few weeks), but I'm not sure when I got into active labour (started contracting in the night at some point, contractions really ramped up at about 10am and I had her at 1.39pm). Pushed for 14 minutes :dance:

Mine were completely different too. First was an induction. Was having contractions before hand, but wasn't feeling them until after they broke my water, and they put me on Pitocin. Hard labor was about 4 hours, pushing was 1 hour 45 min. Induction (was 4cm) to finish 5 hours 45 min.

But for my second, 3cm to finish, 21 hours 20 min. Early labor 17 hours, hard labor 4 hours, pushing 20 minutes.

First - 36 hours, induced labour, 32.5 of which just got me to 3cm, god awful contractions from the start too. Active labour was 2 hours 3cm - 10cm & 1.5 hours pushing.

Second - 13 hours start to finish but the first 9 hours were really manageable contractions. Reached 4cm after 11 hours then I was 10cm just 80 minutes later & took another 50 to push him out.

Wow, so I could still be in for a few + hours lol. I say bring it on lol.
My 1st was drug free, not even gas/air. I'm hoping to do it again ;) ;) ;)

1st was 32 hours start to finish,ended up with forceps delivery, 2nd induced broke waters was 3cm already, 47 mins later dd2 was here, 3rd, induced again, had pessary, contractions started pretty much straight away, was 2cm when had it, 3 hours later ds was here, good luck hun xx

Thank you <3

I have forgotten what the pain feels like lol.
At least I have 5 months to prepare myself for it :haha: ;)

Fantastically better! Yes, it is possible, lol! My first was 36 hours long with really painful back labour the entire time. After pushing my son out I very intently vowed to never do that ever again. But...I got pregnant again and spent a lot of time worrying about labour and birth. Needless to say, the back labour had been so bad that I didn't find regular labour nearly as bad (still painful for sure) and laboured at home until 8cm. We got to the hospital and my son was born two hours later. Second labour: 12 hours. It's often true what they say...second labours are approx half the time and usually a little easier. Also, I pushed for 10 minutes before baby made his appearance :)

Good luck to you!

With my first two kids, my labors were nearly identical right down to the start time. DS was 19 hours from first contraction (started at 6am) to delivery, 3 pushes over 10 minutes and he was born. 6lb3oz and 18.5 inches long.
DD was 19 hours from first contraction (started at 6:30am) to delivery, 5 pushes over 20 minutes and she was born. 5lb14oz and 18.5 inches long.
DD2 decided to switch things up. Labor started with regular, strong tightenings (BH like contractions) around 7pm, cramping started around 11pm, 1 push over 5 minutes and she was born at 7:40am. Labor was 12.5 hours from start to finish. So I can honestly say there's no rhyme or reason to how your kids will decide to come. :haha:

Worse because i had SPD, much more intense for longer.

The length was almost cut in half.

First baby

From waters going - 38 hours
From first contraction - 37 hours
Active labour - 10 hours
Pushing - 1 hour 5 minutes

Second baby -

From regular contractions - 9 hours
Active labour (unknown, was checked once and cervix was closed)
Pushing - 8 minutes

My second was AMAZING, whereas my first was pretty traumatic and long!

My first labour was awesome, 4 hours from first contraction to baby. I think I was probably pushing for about 45 mins. Water birth and it was just nice and natural and I have very good memories from the first labour.

The second labour was 80 mins from first contraction to baby, nearly didn't get to the hospital, was wanting to push in the car on the way. Pushed for about 15 mins before baby came. I don't have good memories of this one, it was so rushed and it was just contraction after contraction with no breaks and then retained placenta. It was crazy painful.

My cousin is a midwife and she says to expect a second spontaneous labour to last about half as long as the first. She was right in my case!

DS1 26 hours total, 4 hours active, 2 hours pushing with waters intact (mw didn't realise I was pushing so 2nd stage recorded as 8 minutes).

DS2 11 hours, 2 active and I think 10 mins pushing.

Both mine were 6 hours from waters going to birth.
Ds1- contractions started an hour after waters went and was in active labour for about 4 hours with an hour of pushing
Ds2- contractions started about 2 hours after (not as strong at ds1 were) was in in active labour for just under 2 hours with 15 mins of pushing

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->