How would this make you feel?

babyhussey

Reaction score
Got a phone call today from my MIL asking for my DD birth certificite as her an my FIL have been to speak to a few bank about opening an account for my baby. The account will be in LO name but it will be them who have the full run of it.

As much as am greatful for this I don't know if I like the idea. Am I over reacting or would you feel the Sam way?

I wouldn't like it if my mil did it...but that's due to a variety of reasons,if it was my mum it wouldn't bother me. I probably wouldn't say anything though, you never have to put anything else in the account for her, you could always set up another one so you have control over that one and just leave that one for them to put money into. x

My inlaws have opened an account for Millicent and it's an account I'm unable to put money into and the account is in her name. It doesn't bother me, like fantastica said if you're that bothered and want to save for her, you could open an additional one :) x

hi my mum has also done this i wasnt really keen on the idea at first but you just have to remember they are doing a really nice thing for your lo.

It really wouldn't bother me, my mum has done the same for my Girls. I think its a lovely idea for when their older.
We do have seperate accounts for them from us though as it will be my parents gift to them later on IYKWIM. :)

I think it's a nice idea tbh. I have always had accounts for my kids, no-one else has done that for them.

My MIL also did this when my twins were tiny. Have to say it annoyed me because I hadn't even had the chance to open an account for them. I can't pay in or take out of the account, have no control over it, have no idea what's in it etc.

But I suppose when LO hits 18 it might help towards a car/ university etc so it can't be a bad thing. Was just annoyed she assumed it was ok. I opened accounts shortly afterwards for them so now they have 2 each

I would suggest you opening account and giving them the details to pay into.

The girls godmother is going to set up an account for them but i have total say oer what the account is, when it pays out etc.

What if they decide to pay it out at 18 and you feel your LO is too young, will waste it etc. iI want to have control over that.

I dont see the problem, id be very greatful if they wanted to start saving for my child it doesnt mean that you cant also open one for your LO too so i would be really thankful.

I'd be pleased. I'd be so greatful if someone did that for my LO.

My parents are doing this and so I DH and I feel this great and such a nice thing to do I don't mind them having control over it as its fine thing they want to do for there grandchildren myself and DH have set up our in accounts for are children ding see the problem?

Why is it a problem?.... My LO has 2 accounts, one set up by me, one by his MIL. I know that she'll be able to put more in to hers so I am happy :)

It's also a good thing that I don't have control of the MILs as I'd prob take money out of it... and it's not my money, it's my LO's!!

Also, my MIL tends to go overt the top with presents at birthday/xmas... it drives me mad as most of it is a waste of money and takes up way too much space! I tell her if she wants to spend a certain amount then just buy a couple of presents and put the rest in the savings account..... we have told them this yr that if there are anymore than 3 presents we will just be choosing 3 for my LO to open and the rest can go back!

its not a problem it was just that she hadnt disscussed it with us or anything she just rang and told me she was coming to collect the babys birth certifitite.

I am very greatful but just wished she spoke to us first.

My in-laws have an account for each of our children. It doesn't bother me at all as it's their money and if they want to give them both money then it's fine by me.

I think its a nice idea but if you don't feel they should, how about they get some bonds in your lo's name instead? Would be a nice alternative. My oh's step sister received bonds on her 21st birthday from a grandad that had passed away a few years before. She said it was a brilliant gesture.

my MIL did the same thing. Just informed me that she would need the birth certificate to open a bank account.

I don't mind her opening the account, but it was the demand, not the ask that I had issues with.
However, my MIL went a step further and when I told her that I had already opened an account for LO, and tried to give her the account number so she could pay into that one rather than open another one, she told me that she wanted to open her own account so that she knew exactly what was in there, and that it would go directly to Daniel - Yep - Bitch basically said that she didn't trust me to steal from my sons account (I can't - I can pay in only.)

Despite being accused of future theft, I don't mind that he has 2 accounts. He will still get the money, where-ever it gets paid into!

I would be happy for my MIL to open an account on Tegan's behalf but not my Mum. I just don't see that working out well.

My mum recently did this and I was really pleased, it's such a nice thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->