HSG experience and a little bit of a background.

luce1982

Reaction score
I wanted to post this so that people can see a first hand account of a HSG as i found reading these prior to the procedure both helpful and a little daunting.
I am currently undergoing investigations for secondary infertility in the UK and so far have found the whole process a lot quicker than i thought it would be.
So far we have completed semen analysis, i have had an ultrasound and also all of the blood tests at varying times of my cycle. This has taken around 3 months from the initial appointment and the follow up visit is scheduled for this coming Tuesday. The HSG was the final test to complete and if I'm honest, the one i was most worried about!
I had issues fitting the HSG test in as my periods don't tend to start until late afternoon / early evening and the nurses who were scheduling the treatment assumed i just hadn't called them as a priority so i ended up having to wait until the 3rd cycle before i was fit in - the anticipation made the whole thing 10 times worse!
I am terrible with pain; by terrible I think it is the anticipation of medical intervention that freaks me out a little - i always handle the actual things ok - just not the thought of them!
Upon the advice of many people on the forums i took 2 paracetamol along with 2 tramadol (left over from a back injury!) an hour before the procedure which i think may have helped me relax a little.
Upon going into the room (my hubby wasn't allowed to come in with me) the 2 nurses and the doctor (all female) were really pleasant and talked me through everything before getting down to the 'remove your bottoms and pop the gown on' time which really relaxed me.
The procedure went a little like this:
*Popped me onto the bed and inserted the speculum - this was a little uncomfortable as they looked for my cervix - this was no worse than a smear.
*They then passed a thin catheter into the neck of my womb - again, this caused a little cramping but was not painful - more slightly uncomfortable.
*She then told me i might feel cramps, i assumed this was down to the catheter being inserted, then i found she removed the speculum (which was a relief!) while she was doing this they were moving the bed and X-ray into position which distracted me a little - next thing i knew they were showing me the image from the x ray - I assumed this was a preliminary shot to make sure they were in the right place before they injected the dye and caused me the agony i was expecting.
You can imagine my shock when they then said i was done - i thought again, that they meant i was ready for the dye to be injected - you can imagine my shock when they told me that they had done the whole procedure literally without me noticing - me who is terrified of pain!!
Apparently, when she had told me to expect some cramping was when she was injecting the dye, i was that distracted by the machinery that i didn't feel it (at least not in the way that i was expecting!).
once they told me i was done they removed the catheter and allowed me to lie down for a couple of minutes while they went about their nursey duties. They were really nice afterwards and gave me some time to clear myself up - not a lot of the fluid came out which was a relief.
They showed me the image and explained that there were no blockages. They also told me that sometimes the HSG can clear your tubes out nicely and conception is more likely - her actual words were 'Give it a couple of days and then get cracking!'
I was all geared up for a horrendous experience and felt a little cheated in a strange way that i hadn't had the pain i was expecting lol!
I had planned to rest afterwards and after an hour or so of lying on the couch i started to feel some cramps like a bad period - so far this has gone on for about 5 hours and doesn't feel like its going away anywhere soon but its a small price to pay for a painless procedure and good news at the end of it.

In summary the good points:
(+) Didn't hurt as much as i thought.
(+) Was very quick - around 10 minutes from start to finish.
(+) Brilliant idea to take precautionary pain relief.
(+) Good plan not to have anything planned afterwards - rest is needed.
(+) Instant results - explained so well to me.

And the bad:
(-) Hubby not allowed to come in for essential hand holding.
(-) Very cramp afterwards - hurt to lie straight and really hurt to laugh (seriously, my hubby turned into some kinda comedian straight after and couldn't help but make me laugh - he really isn't that funny normally.....he told me just to wait until i was actually in labour - 'its going to be a hoot' were his exact words.....)
(-) The no sex before the HSG was a bit of a pain - but then again i suppose i wouldn't be human if i didn't want to do something i had been told i wasn't supposed to!

Now all we have to do is wait until Tuesday to find out what we can do to move this baby train to the next station so to speak - it was just a relief to find out that so far (with the exception of the blood tests) that all is ok with me - makes it so much easier to treat!

If anyone wants anymore info i am more than happy to help!

Thanks for this! We are trying for number three and it is now month 8 with no luck. I had a really bad reaction to my paraguard IUD which I had removed in July, so my doc wants to do this test next to make sure there is no scarring, etc.
Thanks again!

I also had a HSG this week and my experience wasn't at all bad. I was expecting some serious cramping during this examination but was surprised.

I took two ibuprofen and two cocodamol (solpadeine) 1 hour before this as this works to help my period cramps and I usually get horrific cramps which usually end in me vomiting!

The nurse in my hospital talked me through the procedure and gained my consent and then took me to one of the changing rooms where I was given a hospital gown to put on.

They then took me to one of the x ray rooms where I lay on the xray table and they brought the machine over my tummy.

From there they made me put my legs into a frog like position and inserted the speculum. I didn't feel this or feel the catheter until they started inflating the balloon on the end of it. When they inflated the balloon I got a feeling of slight fullness and very very mild cramping. I did however get a bit more cramping when they started to inject the dye - it was like sudden onset period cramps but very mild and the nurse stopped briefly for me to acclimatise to this. She had already explained that they had, from past experience, got lots of results which showed blocked tubes when they took the x ray pictures whilst women are getting the cramps and therefore she got better results if she paused during the procedure.

After a brief pause and when I was feeling the cramping subsiding she quickly put a bit more dye in which showed my tubes up perfectly.

After this they let me get myself together at my own pace.

I had some cramps about 3 hrs later (for which I took some more analgesia) - again mild. The next day my tummy was sore and particularly with a full bladder - however this wasn't too bad and wore off by midday.

This is brilliant information, thanks. My HSG is booked for this coming Thursday and I've been so nervous.

I took Ibuprofen 1 hr before mine and didn't feel it either, the pills numb ya :)

Very informative thanks ladies x

I have mine scheduled for next Thursday! This helps so much!

wow, wish i had of seen this post rather then any of the others.

was booked in for 2.30pm today, although i read up on it and seen other peoples comments (alot of them explaining it hurt badddd) i still didnt think much of it. was fine all this morning, hit the x-ray waiting room and boom i started freaking out! i need'nt have! the nurses were lovely, 4 of them in total... one held my hand all the way through it and we put the world to rights... i didnt take anything before hand. the only thing which was uncomfortable was the speculum or what ever its called. nothing hurt at all tho. im no good with pain either.

so to all whos about to have one, although we all deal with pain differently and experience different things. dont get yaself worked up, its not as bad as alot of people have made out.

Hi ladies, I know this is a super old thread, I just wanted to find a spot to tell my experience from my HSG for anyone else who searches and finds this. I want to ease someone's mind!
I was super nervous because I read everything and anything I could find online about the HSG, and read all the horror stories as well. I was actually incredibly surprised when I felt NOTHING, that's it, nothing at all.
The nurse brought me in to the room, let me change and let me sit up on the x-ray able. She then showed me all the materials and instruments that they would use and explained what they were for. The doctor then came in said hello and we had a brief chat. They asked me to lay down on the table exactly like when getting a pap test. They inserted the speculum, inserted the catheter and after asking me if I was alright, injected the dye. They then asked me to lay down and place my legs a bit flatter (but not all the way down to the table). They then put the xray thing over my belly and took their pictures. Took one view laying flat, the other with my legs tilted a bit to the right. Took 2 seconds to take the pictures. The doctor then took everything out, I cleaned myself up and I was out!
The whole procedure took less than 10 minutes. I felt ZERO pain. Maybe a tiny twinge when he injected the dye, but I'm a teacher and I've had more pain from my K students plopping themselves onto my lap!
The funny part of the whole experience was the nurse handing me a birthday card! My birthday was the day after the test and they noticed this when admitting me.

Seriously, please do not worry about this test. I took two regular strength Aleve an hour before just to be sure, and I felt nothing. I've had pap tests that were more uncomfortable.

I hope I could place someone's mind at ease, and good luck to all of us on our TTC journey!

Hello Liz
Welcome to the forum I see this is only your second post. I hope you hang around and find a lot of support from the ladies on here. I'm guessing that you are TTC your first child. If you look down the list of forum sections you'll find Long Term TTC. You'll find that to be a very useful source of info and support.
Best wishes on your journey.

I know this is an old post but did anyone go on to have a bfp after the hsg?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->