Hypnobirth preparation - what should I be doing?

ChuggaBump

Reaction score
I have read Maria Mongan's book and have her CD, but I can't afford to do a course.

Can anyone tell me what I should be doing each day to prepare?

I am listening to the affirmations and rainbow relaxation every night, but I usually fall asleep to it!

I'm 36 weeks and starting to panic that I haven't done enough to prepare myself.

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Birth affirmations every day - and start to write them up and pin them around the house so you see them lots.

Rainbow relaxation every day - if you are falling asleep because you are doing it in the evening, then try doing it during the day. If you are falling asleep because you are so relaxed, that's fine :thumbup:

Practice your breathing - surge breathing especially, getting in to a rhythm and visualising whatever you find useful, whether it be riding waves or climbing to the top of a mountain and coming down the other side

Find music you find relaxing and calming, and listen to that after your rr and birth affirmations. Then when you are in labour, you have music that reminds of you that deeply relaxed state and will help you get yourself there quicker.

Get your partner to practice light touch massage on you if you can - then he will know where to touch and how to touch you in a way you like when you are in labour

xxx

I'm in the same situation, so I'd very much like to hear some answers to this. I'm reading Marie Mongan's and listening to her CD but I won't be taking a class either. I plan to listen to the CD when I'm at work so I don't fall asleep.

Thanks for the additional tips, booflebump!

Birth affirmations every day - and start to write them up and pin them around the house so you see them lots.

Rainbow relaxation every day - if you are falling asleep because you are doing it in the evening, then try doing it during the day. If you are falling asleep because you are so relaxed, that's fine :thumbup:

Practice your breathing - surge breathing especially, getting in to a rhythm and visualising whatever you find useful, whether it be riding waves or climbing to the top of a mountain and coming down the other side

Find music you find relaxing and calming, and listen to that after your rr and birth affirmations. Then when you are in labour, you have music that reminds of you that deeply relaxed state and will help you get yourself there quicker.

Get your partner to practice light touch massage on you if you can - then he will know where to touch and how to touch you in a way you like when you are in labour

xxx

Thank you.

I'll try and do it earlier in the day... it's hard as I have a toddler and have finished work now so he's always with me, but maybe when he has his nap I'll try and do it then instead so I'm not so tired!

So do you listen to the rr/affirmations in labour too or is it just a case of whatever you feel like when you're in labour?

Yup, you listen to them in labour - but not continuously if you don't want too. You would perhaps listen to them, get relaxed, and then play your relaxing playlist in the background to help keep you in that state. Do you understand the principles of deepening? If your husband can do deepening exercises with you, then he will be able to touch you during you labour with a key phrase and that will help you relax further :hugs:

Thank you! I do understand the deepening stuff but I find it hard to practice, and not sure how it will work in labour. Also not sure if I'm doing the breathing right!!

I think from what I understand so far, the main thing is just practicing and being comfortable with it all. Would your partner be able to watch your son for a short time each morning or evening so you could practice? And then maybe practice anything you need to together on the weekends or another time when you are both home but while your son is napping or otherwise occupied? And I think just talking about it and having him know what to expect and what you'll need as far as support.

Thank you! I do understand the deepening stuff but I find it hard to practice, and not sure how it will work in labour. Also not sure if I'm doing the breathing right!!

You can't go wrong with the calm breathing if it's making you feel relaxed :thumbup:

The deepening practice with your partner sort of embeds a touch and a word in to your mind so that when you are in labour, he can say the word/touch you and it will help you relax even more xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->