• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hypnobirthing & Ante-natal classes??

LaurenW

Reaction score
Hi girls, Ive been going to Hypnobirthing classes for the past 4 weeks and have also been to 1 ante-natal class at my local hospital. I just wondered if anyone was doing both and whether or not you think it's good idea? I don't want to undo all the hard work I've done with Hypnobirthing by listening to conflicting theories however I am interested in some aspects of the ante-natal classes (i.e breastfeeding etc).

I didn't do both but I teach Natal Hypnotherapy classes and have had many students who did/do both. I always remind them that whatever they hear at the hospital classes, they have the skills once they've done the hypnotherapy course to only let the positive elements of what they learn sink in and to let any negative aspects that won't be useful to them wash over them and away. I don't know the intricacies of the hypnobirthing course content but I can't imagine it is too drastically different for this not to be the case.

Do you have a script/CD or positive affirmations to listen to/say that include suggestions about only taking in positive ideas and letting go of the negative? I know we do with NH so I just make sure that my students know to use that if they feel they've been exposed to thoughts and ideas that may give them undue anxiety. At the end of the day, knowledge is always useful and if you do find yourself in a more medicalised environment when you are giving birth you'll be glad you have the knowledge you will do after this second round of classes. You'll also, thanks to the hypnosis, have skills and techniques to help you to cope in that less than ideal environment if that were to happen. It's a win/win really. :)

Good luck with it all,

Gina. x

Thanks Gina, I think you're right. I want to have as much information as possible and will just make sure I read through all of my affirmations and listen to my relaxtion cds as much as possible before birth.
x

Hi girls, Ive been going to Hypnobirthing classes for the past 4 weeks and have also been to 1 ante-natal class at my local hospital. I just wondered if anyone was doing both and whether or not you think it's good idea? I don't want to undo all the hard work I've done with Hypnobirthing by listening to conflicting theories however I am interested in some aspects of the ante-natal classes (i.e breastfeeding etc).

I did both, although I did the NCT antenatal course mainly to meet other new mums. I found my antenatal teacher 'mistrustful' of my hypnobirthing course and wanted me to 'report back' to her about how I found it. lol I think she thought it was some kind of brainwashing???!!!

Ultimately I found the two 'approaches' did clash. Ante natal language was all 'you will feel pain, you will need the range of drugs I am about to tell you about' - which conflicted. BUT I found I sat in the ante natal class quietly telling myself that this isn't my truth or how it will be for me, so it wasn't destructive and I got out of it what I needed (new friends and breast feeding advice and helpline contacts) Sounds like you bhave the right attitude towards it too!

Incidentally.... out of 5 of us girls I was THE ONLY one who had an
intervention free birth, and only the 2 of us were able to breast fed!! :thumbup:

:hugs:

I have done a hypnobirthing course and have been listening to cds & practising breathing and relaxation techniques since.

I was boked onto a nhs class but cancelled it. they are going to tell me everything i've already read so no point sitting in a room being scared to death about everything that could go wrong. that's how i felt anyway. I am going to the hospital parenting class but that is about bbay care not labour.

I did a hypnobirthing course with my 3rd child. Because I'd been to the antenatal classes fairly recently (17months between #2 and #3) I did the hypno course then decide against going to the hospital ones. I felt that my hypnobirthing teacher didnt cover anything that I hadnt learned during the hypnobirthing sessions only with a more positive approach than the hospital teacher.

For me personally I didnt want any necessary negativity 'leaking in' and 'jedi-ing' me! :lol:

I chose not to do the prenatal classes offered by my hospital, as I feel that my hypnobirthing class (and my own research) covered the things that I needed to know.

In my area (in Canada), you can take a seperate breastfeeding course, so that is what I plan to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->