I am so sick of the way i get treated on bus

I would move my 4 year old if an adult needed a seat, I can't see any need for an adult to give up a seat for a child

I would move my 4 year old if an adult needed a seat, but I also always give my seat up if there's a child needing one...although I was always told that children stand, it's difficult for little ones to hold on and not fall over!

People are like that over here too! Obviously it is annoying I guess to get your foot run over by strollers or not be able to walk past strollers to empty seats further back on the bus, but it's part of life lol, if I have that much of a problem with it (which I don't- I was the one pushing the stroller not so long ago!) then I could buy a car or take a taxi! It's PUBLIC transit!

I admit that I get really pissed off though when people don't let my 4 year old have their seat and she has to stand on the bus. I have a bad arm so it's difficult for me to hold on, hold onto her, and keep us both from falling over everytime the bus turns or stops suddenly. It's bad manners.. same as making a pregnant woman or an elderly person stand. Just cause there's no sign there telling you to let them have a seat! (The signs here show crutches, wheelchairs, and walkers)

I was always taught that children should stand if there are only a few seats. My mum would always make me stand on the tram when I was little if an adult needed a seat. I don't know if that's fair, but I don't think a four year old is necessarily more deserving of a seat than an adult, though if she does genuinely need it you should ask!

There's no way my 4 year old could stand on a bus without falling over. I think little children should be allowed to sit as its safer than them getting in the way when people get on and off. My son is quite short so could get knocked by bags too by people carrying them. x

mine always just stood in front of me, sort of between my feet, they couldn't have fallen over or anything.

People are like that over here too! Obviously it is annoying I guess to get your foot run over by strollers or not be able to walk past strollers to empty seats further back on the bus, but it's part of life lol, if I have that much of a problem with it (which I don't- I was the one pushing the stroller not so long ago!) then I could buy a car or take a taxi! It's PUBLIC transit!

I admit that I get really pissed off though when people don't let my 4 year old have their seat and she has to stand on the bus. I have a bad arm so it's difficult for me to hold on, hold onto her, and keep us both from falling over everytime the bus turns or stops suddenly. It's bad manners.. same as making a pregnant woman or an elderly person stand. Just cause there's no sign there telling you to let them have a seat! (The signs here show crutches, wheelchairs, and walkers)

I was always taught that children should stand if there are only a few seats. My mum would always make me stand on the tram when I was little if an adult needed a seat. I don't know if that's fair, but I don't think a four year old is necessarily more deserving of a seat than an adult, though if she does genuinely need it you should ask!

There's no way my 4 year old could stand on a bus without falling over. I think little children should be allowed to sit as its safer than them getting in the way when people get on and off. My son is quite short so could get knocked by bags too by people carrying them. x

Sorry I didn't know that, not having a four year old yet! I just meant that it probably doesn't occur to people at all to let a child sit, and older people might even think it rude that a child is taking up a seat, rather than it being a case of people being inconsiderate.

I'm clearly of the opposite opinion of most, I don't see why an able-bodied adult with average upper body strength etc can't stand on the bus so that a small child can sit safely lol. I don't know if our buses are different over here, but if you don't hold on at all times and the bus stops or starts before you have a chance to grab on, you'll fall over as an adult? 4 year olds forget and let go of the poles, or aren't holding on tightly enough etc and get jostled around. 4 is still quite little lol.

I wouldn't ask anyone to give up their seat for me/us, because I understand on a personal level that not all disabilities are clearly visible... and who knows, maybe this is the first you've sat all day.. but I KNOW that is not everyone on the bus lol, which is why it bothers me but I wouldn't do anything about it really.

I wouldnt expect my daughter to give her seat up shes 3 nearly 4. I would happly give my seat up for someone that needed it. My daughter as had to stand quiet a few times and she always ends up hurting herself

Joel is nearly three and people were giving up their seat for him on the tube when we went to London - I declined at first thinking he would be fine to stand, but as the train moved he literally was falling all over the place. A three or four year old has much less balance than an adult in those situations, I guess simply because they weigh so much less. I would always give my place up for a young child now and I'm surprised that people take the opposite stance.

I think it's just something I am used to happening so I do it myself and always have, just like if visitors come into the house I will tell the kids to move off the sofa and give them a seat

I was always either made to sit on my mums knee or stand when I was younger. Round here very young children don't pay to get on the bus so i can see why some might feel that a paying adult should not have to stand while a child who hasn't paid is taking a seat up.

I agree on the sofa thing.

And children have to pay from 5. \but about the paying thing u could say that about someone with a bus pass they dont pay

People do pay for a bus pass, unless it's a disabled or pensioner pass, in which case it's fair to assume they probably need the seat more than a 4 year old

I always asked politely if I could put my pram in but more often than not it was met with a rude response. I once had a woman demand I move my pushchair so that she could put her suitcase there (despite there being a luggage area that was free) because 'why should she suffer for my life choices' :wacko:

Yesterday I had an older man (perhaps late 50's/early 60's) shout at my five year old (who looks two/three as she is so little that there are concerns over her growth) to let him sit down. She was upset, so I just told her to come and stand with me but I was quite cross as there were plenty of teens and young adults he could of asked. She ended up flying down the bus as it's difficult to help all three of my children (which is why I like her sitting down). Both she and my nine year old have hypermobility which has affected their core muscles, gross and fine motor skills, therefore their balance is not as good as the average child. Next time I will be refusing on those grounds.

People do pay for a bus pass, unless it's a disabled or pensioner pass, in which case it's fair to assume they probably need the seat more than a 4 year old

Not on about the day riders /week tickets

Tasha: My daughter is small to for her age. People are shocked to know that she is nearly 4

The sofa thing, absolutely, Elyse has her own small chair in the living room or can sit on the floor or something if we have adults over. Even if we have other kids over, it's polite to let guests have the seats, so she'll let them have their pick.

Not on about the day riders /week tickets

Tasha: My daughter is small to for her age. People are shocked to know that she is nearly 4

That's what I said Hun, if it's not a day rider/weekly pass then it WILL be either an over 60's or a disabled pass, in which case I would put their need higher than my 4 year old.

I know every child and situation is different though, I have an autistic 10 year old who holds a bus pass, I would never dream of attempting to have him stand on a bus.

Don't get me started on this! Iv had issues on more than one occasion. One time the bus was empty bar 4 people and an older lady was sat where the prams go. I very politely said excuse me to be told "I don't move for prams" I was livid and told her she ether moves or I'm just going to run over her feet and this pram isn't light. She soon moved.

Another occasion I was heavily pregnant and had my brother who was about 3 at the time. On our busses the sign says "priority searing for the disabled, elderly or those with young children" the bus was packed so I sat my brother on one of the seats behind the drivers cab facing sideways. An old man got on and rather rudely demanded the seat. I refused on the basis that they were others much more able to stand than a pregnant woman and a 3 year old. He got arsey so I just turned my back and ignored him. I think I shamed others into offering but he refused and stood, can't have needed the seat that much.

Don't get me started on this! Iv had issues on more than one occasion. One time the bus was empty bar 4 people and an older lady was sat where the prams go. I very politely said excuse me to be told "I don't move for prams" I was livid and told her she ether moves or I'm just going to run over her feet and this pram isn't light. She soon moved.

Another occasion I was heavily pregnant and had my brother who was about 3 at the time. On our busses the sign says "priority searing for the disabled, elderly or those with young children" the bus was packed so I sat my brother on one of the seats behind the drivers cab facing sideways. An old man got on and rather rudely demanded the seat. I refused on the basis that they were much more able to stand than a pregnant woman and a 3 year old. He got arsey so I just turned my back and ignored him. I think I shamed others into offering but he refused and stood, can't have needed the seat that much.

This is what i mean we ask polity but most of them are rude about it and thats when she say something. I always say if someone treats me with respect i would treat them with respect

I always asked politely if I could put my pram in but more often than not it was met with a rude response. I once had a woman demand I move my pushchair so that she could put her suitcase there (despite there being a luggage area that was free) because 'why should she suffer for my life choices' :wacko:

Yesterday I had an older man (perhaps late 50's/early 60's) shout at my five year old (who looks two/three as she is so little that there are concerns over her growth) to let him sit down. She was upset, so I just told her to come and stand with me but I was quite cross as there were plenty of teens and young adults he could of asked. She ended up flying down the bus as it's difficult to help all three of my children (which is why I like her sitting down). Both she and my nine year old have hypermobility which has affected their core muscles, gross and fine motor skills, therefore their balance is not as good as the average child. Next time I will be refusing on those grounds.

Have to agree. When T is finally out of a pushchair I will make sure he has a seat because of his problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->