I am the only one who doesn't have (and doesn't want) a smart phone?

calm

Reaction score
I have really noticed a big change in society in general and teenagers in particular as regards to these phones. I currently work as a teacher for Cambridge ESOL exams, so I have adolescents as pupils. Last year they seemed to own quite ordinary looking phones and didn't seem to be too bothered about them, this year however they all have high-tech smart phones and they are OBSESSED with them. I keep catching them checking their phones for updates, even trying to send the odd text in class :wacko: I am sure its interfering with their capacity to concentrate and to be honest they seem addicted to me as they just can't leave them alone.

The other week we were taking care of DH's granny, and we agreed to a game of monopoly with his youngest cousin who is 13. Now the game was his idea but he spent the whole game phoning and chatting on facebook to a friend. He has always had issues with concentration and finishing tasks, it certainly doesn't seem to be helping him :wacko: I ended up putting the game away as he was clearly not interested and we were only playing for his sake

I am not saying smart phones are "bad" or anything like that, when used effectively I am sure they are incredible tools, but so many people seem to be going overboard. I have no plan to get one and neither has my husband. I already use the Internet enough without using it on my phone. Maybe in a few years I will be tapping into my iphone9 (or some equivalent as I am a Libre girl), but for the moment: no thank you. Anyone else?

I don't have a smart phone yet because I'm still under my parent's plan until they move away and their plan doesn't support it. I have an iPod touch and love it and can't wait to get an iPhone!

Okay... I did suspect I would be on my own here :D

I love mine, but I dont they are suitable for school age kids. They do require a element of self control and regulation as there is just so much you can do with them.

i don't even have a mobile phone let
alone an all singing all dancing one

:rofl:

I didnt want one till i got my androide smart phone now im glued to it and love it.
I can do everything, internet, apps, email the shopping list to oh on his way home,take photos and videos and put them on facebook instantly, everything except make a dam phone call.
Stupid low signal area :)

I had my last phone for 8 years!!!. it was a nokia basic phone and had half it's keys missing meaning I had to poke it with a pen to press the numbers. finally yesterday I got a new one, but it's another basic nokia. I find it more than adequate for sending the texts and phone calls I make every day.

Me and my iPhone have a love hate relationship. I love it because I can do anything on it, I hate it because I can't stop using it

I do think they can be addictive. Both me and my sister were always moaning about our OHs fiddling with their iPhones but since we have got some, it suddenly makes sense as to why they couldn't leave them alone! I wouldn't allow my teens to have one unless they could use them in moderate - i.e. not in class! Saying that though my 4 and 2 year old love playing on Mummy and Daddy's phone and we do have to fight to get them off of it. :wacko:

Laughed my head off about the phone with no buttons! I do agree they seem to require an element of self-control that adolescents might not possess (the kids I teach certainly cannot refrain themselves from checking their phone every so many minutes). I don't have a facebook or anything of that nature so I don't miss those "apps"

nope, i dont have a smart phone, just a reg cell for emergencies! anybody i want to talk to are always right with me! and i have a land line, oh what ancient technology!:)

Had a BB but got fed up of it seeming to be a faff when wanting to use normal phone functions. So I got rid of it and now have a very basic Nokia.

Getting rid of my smartphone was best thing I've done!

I am actually proud of not having one however strange that might sound :)

Not strange at all!

It's so difficult to get a 'phone' these days. Esp one with actual physical buttons!!

I hate touch screen :growlmad:

Hello my name is Aliss and I am from the bronze age

I don't have a cell phone. Or Facebook. I guess I put that energy into here, LOL

One of my big issues with Smartphones is that they give kids unmonitored access to the Internet. Lots of families have the PC in the living room but then give their kids a smartphone meaning they can access the internet anywhere, anytime.

Hello my name is Aliss and I am from the bronze age

I don't have a cell phone. Or Facebook. I guess I put that energy into here, LOL

I don't have a facebook either, BnB is actually my only internet "vice". I do have a mobile phone though, if anything I would hate to be without it in an emergency. We did cope without them before though.

One of my big issues with Smartphones is that they give kids unmonitored access to the Internet. Lots of families have the PC in the living room but then give their kids a smartphone meaning they can access the internet anywhere, anytime.

I never had thought about that actually and it's certainly a important issue. Today I made a point of noticing my pupils phones, it made me laugh because their phones are so big they can hardly fit them in their jean pockets, but they try to, so they continually drop them on the floor (these smart phones must be resilient things).

And then another class, with an adult! she continually texted on it throughout the class :wacko: It was her last day, and I just couldn't muster the energy to say anything, but it felt really rude to me.

Oh, and another thing I have noticed. Before they would have their phone in their pocket or bag as they walked in the street or into class. Now they walk with them in their hand. I think that is one of things I don't like, they seem too addicted to them, like they can't bear to even put them in their bag for a few minutes.

My best mate refuses to have a smart phone, all she wants is a phone.

It should just be able to call and send texts, that's it.

V xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"