I ate black licorice!

ItsAWonder

Reaction score
I never have junk food in my house. Usually I hate it. My Dad is visiting and he brought black twizzlers which have licorice extract and I ate three strands. I completely forgot that it can be really harmful when pregnant or breastfeeding. Now I am completely freaking out!

I had no idea you are not supposed to eat this and I thought I was all over the pregnany food rules! What makes it harmful?

I didn't know you weren't supposed to eat it either!

In the UK you're allowed too? And I ate it in both pregnancies. Obviously I'm not sure of the rules in USA etc.
I'm sure it'll be fine but ring doctor/mw for advice if worried. X

I didn't know you weren't supposed to eat it either!

Three pieces won't hurt you. Just don't binge on it.

I didn't know you weren't supposed to eat it!

Please don't worry! The studies that show that black licorice isn't great for pregnant women only find negative effects for women who ate an average of 100 g of licorice daily. That is a TON of licorice...and every day. You can def. eat black licorice in moderation--don't feel bad about what you already ate, and feel free to continue eating a few pieces of licorice, even every day!

I'm in the uk and there are no recommendations to avoid it

It's only meant to *possibly* effect baby's IQ. And its if you eat a lot like PP said. And I'm not even sure that it's an actual fact or not?! I ate some the other day :)

I was more concerned about the effects it has on thinning the placenta - which leads to diminished IQ, ADHD etc. You are right though, three strands is not enough and what's done is done. I will see my doctor tomorrow and hear his thoughts. Usually he is very laid back on what to eat and what not to but he was very clear that I should not eat licorice. I think it 's partly b/c my placenta was compromised last time.

I wouldn't worry about it. Relax! If it's going to effect you, it would probably take long time use of it. One time is not going to do anything. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->