I Don't Want A Baby Shower

Don't want one, either.

Every one I'd really want to be there lives too far away, with the exception of two people. I think it'd make for a really miserable and awkward time of forced socializing with people I'm not close to or friends with.

Aside from that, I dislike being the center of attention, and I'm not expecting people to give me gifts (for me, my registry is more of a shopping list for myself). I'm super happy when someone does send something... but I feel like a shower forces it and I don't want that.

I live in Cambridgeshire and they're becoming increasing popular down here. I find the concept a bit 'naff' as (originally) I'm from N. Yorkshire and we're grumpy about everything. It's a US custom not a British one and so we don't really understand it, and besides... we have our own traditions concerning the buying/giving and (re)distribution of baby things. One of my OH's mates (female...) tentatively asked the OH whether or not she could throw me a shower and was told 'perhaps not' in no uncertain terms. OH is Scottish and feels equally (if not more) uncomfortable with the concept. I am grateful for the sentiment, but it's not my tradition.

OH is from the Highlands and so even though 'Bump' is due to make his appearance at the end of July, the Knitting Battalion of the 1st Royal Scots have inundated us with small woolly cardigans. I am planning to the sew the lot together in a blanket. I dread to think what would happen if I got 'showered'. I'd probably be drowning in lemon-coloured acrylic/wool double-knit.

Good luck to you if you have one - but.... not for me chef.

My mum's doing me a Mummy To Be Afternoon Tea and combining it with my birthday which is a coupla weeks after. About 10 friends are coming who live locally and no silly games etc. Just cakes and tea and gossip. No obligation to bring gifts too as hubby would like to open some with me once baby is here!

I didn't want either. I just feel that I we would rather not be bothered. We have made all the major purchases, just a few more things to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->