I hate this!!

I love how supportive this forum is! I keep coming back to read this thread when I sat here in tears trying to grit my teeth through a feed and it really helps :flower:
Have had lots of tears today which I remember from the same time with my daughter when my milk came in but was so happy to see a poo that was changing from meconium-the joy of hormones!!

Oh the yellow poop!!!!! Best thing ever...

Just wanted to send out a "good for you!" . I wasn't successful till my 3rd baby so I know what a roller coaster BF is. For #3 I think it was about the two week mark that things started to settle down. I think you are doing a great job!!!

Oh hun, hang in there! It sounds like your lo is off to a great start with all the wet and dirty diapers. I give you gals lots of props..you're awesome for fighting through it! I was one of the fortunate ones (don't virtually punch me) that had a relatively easy time with getting started. My lo latched well and I never dealt with much pain and I STILL struggled to stick it out in the early days! I think even just the exhaustion in the very beginning coupled with feeds so close together is enough to make anyone a little crazy lol. You're doing awesome mama, keep it up!

Last night was awful :cry: He wouldn' even attempt to latch, was screaming and arching away from me and I was having flashbacks to trying to feed my daughter. He was crying, I was hysterical and so ready to give up and go downstairs to grab the carton of formula that's still just sat there!
Today has been better, despite my going to a breast feeding support group which turned out to be a group for parents of children with additional needs but I was sat there for a good 15 minutes before I realised :blush: Sooo that wasn't all that helpful but they were all lovely!
Very very painful feeding this afternoon, still using the shields but he seems to be getting enough as he's sleeping 2.5-3hrs between feeds?
Almost another day down on my new target of 1 week old!

My baby arches his back like that when he's got really bad gas and needs more burps. That might not be your case but it might be worth a try. Don't be scared to swaddle to make it easier if your baby likes being swaddled.

My baby arches his back like that when he's got really bad gas and needs more burps. That might not be your case but it might be worth a try. Don't be scared to swaddle to make it easier if your baby likes being swaddled.

I agree with the above. Arching is usually a sign of discomfort. I was always taught to burp baby over the shoulder and always stroke up the way as it helps the baby's wind move easier.

My friend who's baby is 4 days younger than my LO struggles to part with wind and she was thought how to do a baby massage on his tummy which makes him break wind every time. Xx

:hugs: Even though there's so much pain, from the sound of it, you are doing SO great. It is unnerving not to know exactly how much LO is getting but plenty of dirty diapers mean plenty of milk is going in :thumbup:

My daughter had an awful shallow latch that reduced me to tears. I never dreamed I'd have any trouble at all breastfeeding! My son took to it naturally and I wasn't ever sore at all with him and ended up using the Lansinoh ointment on his tush. Just because I myself knew what to do meant nothing to my newborn daughter. My daughter hadn't a clue what to do other than to suck away which left me with blistered, cracked and bleeding nipples that made my toes curl, my eyes cross and I dreaded feeding her. :cry:

She would often get frustrated at my boob at times. I swear it was as if she was attempting to fight it, frailing her lil arms around before pulling off and screaming at it. It seemed like we fought and fought to get her latched on and then POP off she'd go, screaming :dohh: I found it best to put her on my shoulder and pat her. Sometimes she'd burp and that had been what she needed, sometimes not but it soothed and calmed us both down before tackling it again.

Afterwards I would swap sides, sandwich my nipple between my index and middle finger and attempt to shove as much as possible into her tiny mouth. Sometimes I'd have to work and work at it before FINALLY success! Sometimes I had to leave the living room, go to a darkened bedroom lit with a small nightlight and turn the fan on for background noise. Sometimes all the noise and lights (TV, other family members) seemed to overwhelm and upset her.

It took about 3 weeks before she finally got the hang of it and I wasn't in tears anymore. Just remember that while some babies are great right away at breastfeeding, others have to learn. It's new to them too and you aren't the only one upset at times :hugs:

It WILL get easier. Then you will remember how much of a bother washing, mixing and warming formula actually is compared to whipping a boob out. I HATED it when I went to work and had to switch to formula with my son. Nothing like staggering in the middle of the night into the kitchen to fix a bottle to the tune of a screaming baby :dohh:

BTW, I also would squeeze a bit of breastmilk out onto my nipple and rub in. Breastmilk is great at healing (I've used for diaper rash, gave some to a friend for pink eye which cleared right up!) I've also used coconut oil to moisturize my nips.

:flower: No matter what, as long as you and baby are happy and healthy, that's all that counts.

Thank you ladies, I've been using a muslin to swaddle him and it seems to be helping-he does get a little bit warm and sleepy but I've been taking his feet out of his baby-gro to help keep him a bit more awake.
I'm stil not convinced his latch is great, I've had it checked almost every day by 4 different midwives and they all seem happy but my nipples are still being shredded! The right side now has a huge piece of tissue almost hanging off and I'm not sure whether it's best to leave it or try and pull it off :cry: I don't want it to become infected so have been keeping it as clean as I can and using the multi mam patches on that side but might be better to let it just drop off?
We've made it to 1 week today though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"