I have a weird feeling...

Chel

Reaction score
... that my partners family have something against us having this baby...

I know it might just be weird pregnant logic, but I just realised after responding the "does anybody know" thread that my partners family haven't bought anything for the baby at all. Not an item of clothing, teddy bear or nappy... absolutely nothing...

My family, specifically my parents, have bought heaps of stuff for us and the baby. My brother, who is a punk rocker, found baby clothes with pictures of skulls and electric guitars on them, which... is... very sweet... and... a little weird... but his way expressing love! :p

My grandparents have bought things, my Nanna has knitted clothes, my friends have all largely contributed to his clothing (errr... they probably should have discussed what they were buying amongst themselves, as at my baby shower I recieved 27 tops in size 000 and not much else... oops!)

I dont know if its materialistic to base my opinion on that, but it seems weird to me that they've had no interest in contributing anything to the baby. Maybe I'm jumping too early, the baby isn't actually here yet... but... I dont know... it just seems a bit weird.

Maybe they're going to get stuff after the babies born? I think it's quite rude to expect stuff from them and then make it seem like they're not interested because you EXPECTED them to byu stuff

I dont mean it to be rude and its not like its a real big deal, it just feels a bit weird is all. I dont know.

My EX's family are the same. They have got nothing, not asked how I am, or how baby is. But it's totally different on my family's side. Even my mums friends who don't know me are asking how I am. And buying things. My nan has bought loads. My mum, and just everyone keeps asking if I'm ok. I know that when Lexie is here, all his family will want me to go down all the time with her, but they can piss off, they've done nothing for me this pregnancy, not give me any attention. Alls they are bothered about is the baby. Well, they can think again. I am not trailing down nowhere for them.

I think I know what you mean. I'm not expecting stuff off anyone for my baby so it's not that, thats bothering me...It just feels like My OH family aren't as excited as mine... I know that different people react to things differently, but it does worry me sometimes! I think things will be different when she's here though! :)

i know wot u mean, i mean my ex's family have bought the baby stuff but they have made no secret of the fact that they are not happy, well his mam in particular, like someone, i cant remember who sorry, said above, maybe they are waiting till the baby is born

give them a chance hun, they may turn out to be really happy about it

:hugs:

xxx

i think the mum's family get more excited and buy more tbh. my parents hated the idea at first, but they've bought loads, tbh i'm embarrassed at how much they've bought, and they wont take any money off me. OHs mum text me te other day to ask if i needed anythin and i was like, well thats a bit rich 2 weeks before i'm due, we've already got everything. all my family have bought stuff, and as yet we've only had some cardigans his nanas knitted. doesnt help that his parents live abroad mind!!

I'm sort of hoping once they see the baby they'll be happy about it. Surely he's going to be so beautiful that they'll just have no choice but to love him.

Early on in the pregnancy his parents actually lied and told their friends that we're not pregnant and on one occasion his mum practically begged me to put a jumper on to cover the bump because a close family friend was visiting... so... I'm not strictly basing my opinion on the material side of things, but, lately they've seemed to be happy about the baby and maybe they really are and they're just not gift-giving type people (because, come to think of it, I dont know if I've ever witnessed any form of gift exchange within his family, even with christmas and birthdays, so maybe its just not something they see as being important)... I dont know... and yeah, maybe they're waiting until after the baby is born to buy him something.

Early on in the pregnancy his parents actually lied and told their friends that we're not pregnant and on one occasion his mum practically begged me to put a jumper on to cover the bump because a close family friend was visiting...

Oh my god!!!

i dont know wot to say

wot a cow!!!

xxx

Chel, once that baby is here you'll probably be lucky to have a day where his family ISN'T "popping by" for a quick visit! Everyone shows baby excitement differently. Most of us dive into baby clothes and toys because they're just so darn cute, but some like to meet the baby first, or wait to find out what you really need after the shower, or what have you. If you think his family is already not really the gift-giving type, I'd just let it be water off a duck's back.
I bet the enthusiasm will be gushing once baby arrives. And if it isn't, well, their loss entirely!
What does your OH think? Have you asked him about it?

I wouldn't bring it up with him, because I think I'd feel petty saying it out loud. If the baby comes and they still dont seem all that interested in baby I'd probably bring it up with him then though.

My parents haven't got us anything for the baby - that I know of. My in laws have bought heaps. It's just that they are very different people. My parents will go overboard once baby is born and here safe. Whereas my in laws have been going mad since the second we told them. It's not that my parents are less excited. They are just as excited, just have different views as to when to do things.
Maybe it's the same with your OH parents? Maybe you'r reading too much into it? I don't know the family history, so can't comment too much, but perhaps it's something to consider.

I wouldn't bring it up with him, because I think I'd feel petty saying it out loud. If the baby comes and they still dont seem all that interested in baby I'd probably bring it up with him then though.

That sounds wise.
It would most likely upset him, or he might think you're criticizing his family, and if you're not totally sure, it would be much smarter to just wait and see.

It could be that they are waiting until after the baby arrives, to see how big he is etc. and what he needs before buying anything. Although we did receive a few things from both sets of parents prior to Hannah's birth a lot of people did hold off until she had arrived to give us things, probably a good thing as she was HUGE so people bought bigger clothes ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->