I have cholestasis of pregnancy at almost 18 weeks. Scared

Suggerhoney

♡Praying for a miracle rainbow baby at 43♡
Reaction score
Hi ladies

So I've been diognosed with cholestasis of pregnancy or ICP as its known.
I am almost 18 weeks pregnant.

My pregnancy is also high risk because I have had a liver transplant back in 2011and I am on anti rejection medication I am also an older mummy to be. (39)

I also had cholestasis in my last pregnancy and pre eclampsia but I was 34 weeks and They ended up inducing me at 35 weeks and 4 days because the bile numbers got to high and so did my blood pressure due to the pre eclampsia.
I wasnt as worried about it with her because I was at a safe enough stage to get induced and she was born weighing 5lbs.

I am nearly 18 weeks pregnant now and at around 11 weeks I started getting really itchy skin. The itching got so bad that I was losing sleep and making myself bleed with the scratching.
Anyway I ended up going to the doctors because of the extreme itching and they did bloodwork.
I've had about 3 more bloodtests since then and was diognosed with ICP yesterday.
I've been put on meds that are supposed to stabilise the bile acid which they will keep me on until I'm at a safe stage to be induced or have a c section.

I know this condition can cause very early labour or still birth so as u can imagine I am worried sick.

I still have such a long way to go yet until I'm anywhere near being safe to be induced.

Has anyone ever had this condition really early like me and it all turn out ok?
I know my baby will be born early but I'm just hoping that with the medication I can get to the very very least 34 weeks.
I am so scared I am going to lose my baby boy. All I keep doing is crying and I just dont know who to turn to.
So anyone has any advice I wud really appreciate i .
I am midwife and consultant lead.
I see the midwife tommorow but will not be seeing my high risk pregnancy consultant until 4th June so a few weeks away yet.
I just feel in limbo land not knowing what the future holds.
I just want my baby to be ok and healthy.
I've been feeling so happy but now its back to worrying again.
:cry:

Last edited:
Hugs hon.
Didnt want to read and run.
I had cholestasis on my first but late at 38 weeks
I read lots at the time and came across lots of people who got it earlier and meds helped control it till bub reached a safe deliverable age.
Huge hugs for your worry xx
But it can all work out well even though its earlier this time x
Best of luck.

I hade Cholestasis at 30 weeks but wasn't diagnosed until 35 weeks and had him a week later. I want to have a 3rd but this is my fear.

Thank you for ure reply ladies.
So my bile acid levels are now only slightly raised so the medication is working and I'm so relieved.
I'm 21+2 now and the itching has eased up so much.
I had my 20 weeks scan last week and baby is healthy. I have another scan on Tuesday and then my first growth scan at 26 weeks. I will be having growth scans every 3 weeks from then.
Been told that the bile acid levels will prob start rising again in the 3rd trimester but that they will be closely monitoring me and when they get to high I'll be induced or have a c section depending how far I am.
But at the moment everything is stabilised and hopfully it will remain that way until I'm 34 35 weeks.
Hoping I make it to 36 weeks but we shall see. Will no more of a plan in a few weeks.
I also will be having steroids injections to mature his lungs but not sure when I'll be having them done yet. Not looking forward to that because they hurt but it's worth it for the baby.

I've joined a wonderful support group on Facebook for ICP and they have been wonderful. Theres womon on there that were diognosed as early as 8 weeks with bile levels through the roof but the medication worked for them and one lady had her baby at 34 weeks and another had hers at 36 weeks.
I'm feeling alot more positive now. I only have the condition mild at the moment. Prayers it stays that way [-o<

I hade Cholestasis at 30 weeks but wasn't diagnosed until 35 weeks and had him a week later. I want to have a 3rd but this is my fear.

I had it with my last as well hon but wasnt diognosed until 34 weeks then induced at 35+4. App u have a 50 to 80% chance of developing it again in future pregnancies and it can come earlier like it has this time with me.
But there is medication hon and not all womon get it again. U may be fine next time.
I had pre eclampsia last time as well so I'm freaking out about that but my BP is fine at the moment. I didnt develop pre eclampsia until 30 weeks but I'm hoping i dont develop that as well this time. It is such a worry

Hugs hon.
Didnt want to read and run.
I had cholestasis on my first but late at 38 weeks
I read lots at the time and came across lots of people who got it earlier and meds helped control it till bub reached a safe deliverable age.
Huge hugs for your worry xx
But it can all work out well even though its earlier this time x
Best of luck.

Thank you hon. Yes its scary. I didn't get it until 34 weeks with my last pregnancy and was induced at 35+4 so when I was diognosed so much earlier this time it totally freaked me out.
I'm 21+2 now will be 22 weeks on Monday and I'm feeling alot more positive. My bile acid levels are only slightly raised so there not to worried at the moment. The medication has helped so much with the itching. That itching was awful.
Feeling baby move and kuck now which is lovely and reassuring. Just hoping i can make it to 36 weeks. [-o<

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->