I have no idea please help

ciz

Mum to 2 girls and boy.. bub #4 due December 2023
Reaction score
I have been forcing myself not buy any and i mean any baby things lol until after the first scan to make sure alls ok. so now we got our beautiful scan I can go ahead.

so my big question is what do i need to buy for first baby?????

Everything!

Start small, we started to buy things after 20 week scan, moses basket, pram, carseat, bottles, sterilizer, clothes, nappies etc etc...but bits every week so its not too overwhelming.

Don't panic! I'm 35 weeks and we still don't have everything lol :) We also waited til after the 20 week scan and once we got the ok for that I went straight to the shops and let myself buy one little outfit :)

I found this website useful - they have checklists. One for essentials:
https://www.madeformums.com/downloads/MFM-WhatToBuyessentials.pdf

One for things that are useful but not everyone will want:
https://www.madeformums.com/downloads/MFM-WhatToBuyuseful.pdf

And one for things that aren't essential:
https://www.madeformums.com/downloads/MFM-WhatToBuynice.pdf

TBH I personally think there are things on all 3 lists that for me would be essential, but it's down to personal choice.

I would start buying small too as Loobylola says. Re the big things like cots, car seats etc they can be expensive so it's worth maybe putting aside some cash each month and buying these things later on in your pregnancy. This also means your house won't be bursting with bulky items and getting in the way! You can get some good deals in sales though, so worth signing up to things like Mothercare newsletters and jumping on items when they're on sale. If you join the Boots parenting club you get vouchers for baby items and extra points on your boots card :)

If you're not fussy about 2nd hand it's definitely worth a browse at car boots, and in my area there is a 2nd hand kids group on Facebook. We've only spent £30 on clothes so far and we are all set for 0-3 months we got so much and in great condition too, because really babies don't spend long in their clothes.

Congrats on your scan!

I waited until my 20 week scan, hardly bought anything before then. I'm massively on the look out for bargains though, and my best friend has just had a baby so is giving me really helpful info on what to get.

So far I have a few baby grows, 2 dummies, a bath sponge, baby wash, muslin towels, 2 blankets, a tommee tippee microwave steriliser I got from asda yesterday for £5 down from £25! (I plan to breast feed but this will be handy if I need to express), a warmer zip up suit with a hood as she will be a winter baby, some little boots and other very small bits and bobs, bibs etc.
We are buying our cot from a relative who is moving to australia in august, she paid £150 we're buying it for £50 and its in excellent condition.
We're going to try out prams at the weekend then I plan on keeping my eye on facebook/ebay/gumtree to see if I can get the same one second hand as I see so many barely used ones for a lot less than they are brand new!
I just don't want to spend all that money if i don't have to as I think you can spend a small fortune on stuff you're not going to use for a very long time.
My sister has been going a little crazy buying things, I've told her not to but it makes her happy so will leave her to it just as long as I know what she's getting and we don't duplicate.

I'm just hoping that as I go on, people will share their experience and expertise with me and I'll end up finding out everything I need!

I was like you also, and didn't want to buy anything before our first scan to ensure everything was ok. I think we will still wait until our 20 week scan before we buy anything major or super expensive. Mainly because of money and so we can check everything is still ok.
But since having the 12 week scan i have been picking up any good deals on baby wipes. For example Asda had a pack of 4 pampers wipes for like £3.50, when usually they are £1 for a pack in £ land or more expensive for larger quantity. So i picked up a few of them. If i see any good deals on other small stuff then i'm sure i will pick them up as well.

I've also been signing up to as many mum and baby clubs as i can to get their free samples etc. Always good to stock up on free samples of nappy rash cream etc. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->