I know its DM but terrifying!

Midnight_Fairy

New baby J
Reaction score
Ebola scares the hell out of me. :( how can we control borders when the situation is as bad as it is. Anyone else get scared. This just sounds like it will inevitably happen at some point :(

Scares me it could be during flu season and people misread signs

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...a-s-sophisticated-cities.html#article-2709051

The plague was found in China recently. Doesn't worry me though, too exhausted worrying about my own little life to think about global what ifs lol, my husband would love it he's a self confessed hypothetical doomsday prepper, obsessed with all things apocalyptic, weirdo!

I want someone tobsay dont worry. Im usually pretty rational but the whole bleedimg thing sounds horrific x

It sounds horrid but DM and scientists love a bit of drama, it's not something we have any control over so it's not worth the time worrying. I remember when swine flu started hitting headlines, it is scary, but as much as our world is "small" it's amazing how developed we are to handle things as well.

all i can say is wow.. and perhaps its time they closed down all flights/travel to and from those infected countries to try and contain it!

UK is an island. Would be easier to close off but would never happen. This just strikes me as so likely as its so contagious. Even someone in protective clothing caught it?

Definitely one of those absolutely terrifying and fascinating diseases. I think I've read The Hot Zone about 10 times, which is about an Ebola outbreak. I actually wanted to become a virologist and study it for the longest time, and then finally had a reality check on how stupid that would be, lol! Glad I said no to that now, as most of the scientists who study it are over there dealing with it now, trying to contain it.

I agree they need to be doing more to control borders until its contained, as its really been spreading over there. Doesn't seem like they are having much luck keeping it isolated; it just keeps popping up all over the place in those regions.

I knew nothing about this at all. I avoid the news as it's so negative and depressing. Scary stuff :(

Definitely one of those absolutely terrifying and fascinating diseases. I think I've read The Hot Zone about 10 times, which is about an Ebola outbreak. I actually wanted to become a virologist and study it for the longest time, and then finally had a reality check on how stupid that would be, lol! Glad I said no to that now, as most of the scientists who study it are over there dealing with it now, trying to contain it.

I agree they need to be doing more to control borders until its contained, as its really been spreading over there. Doesn't seem like they are having much luck keeping it isolated; it just keeps popping up all over the place in those regions.

No! I know you're a smart scientist so please tell me this is media scaremongering and nothing to worry about, please don't burst my bubble lol. If you say it's something worth worrying about, I *will* worry :haha:

No! I know you're a smart scientist so please tell me this is media scaremongering and nothing to worry about, please don't burst my bubble lol. If you say it's something worth worrying about, I *will* worry :haha:

So far, its still seeming to be contained within Africa, but the worry is that is has spread so quickly among more than one country. It was contained for a while within one country, but then a bunch of outbreaks started happening regionally in other nearby countries, meaning infected people had travelled unknowingly to those areas and spread the infection even further. Scientists have set up isolation tents in most of the infected regions there, to keep those with symptoms isolated, but the problem obviously is people travelling before being symptomatic, and then once they realize they are infected, they are in another area, and now a new area is added to the list of places where infection is present.

TBH, I'm not massively worried about it being a word wide pandemic. These are 3rd world countries we're talking about here, so most of the regions being affected by this don't have the means to travel far away to distant countries. Obviously there is always a chance of it happening, but I think the main worry they have is just containing it within those regions, to keep it from spreading to the neighboring countries in Africa. That's a major issue they are facing, as travelling to neighboring villages, and neighboring countries IS a very real possibility. Which is why the areas of infection there keeps spreading out further and further.

ETA: https://news.msn.com/us/family-of-texas-doctor-with-ebola-not-showing-signs-of-virus

Spoke to soon, looks like one of the scientists contracted it unknowingly, and travelled home with it to Texas! They are hoping no one contracts it from him, but it looks like it was caught as soon as he started having symptoms so should be okay as far as not spreading. The contagious period starts as soon as symptoms appear.

Yes, my fiancé is Nigerian and has booked his flight to stay with Family in October. He doesn't seem worried about it though

Oh god this ome gives me a bad feeling. I hate it. Just feel odd. Horrid horrid horrid. Dont feel good about this at all. Probably as its so foul. (And ive played plague inc)

I remember with the SARS outbreak here they closed down flights etc to try and keep it from spreading or bringing new cases in. :nope: Its very scary stuff, although I tend to not worry until its right in my area.

We've got a few cases of West Nile Virus here, but not in my area. Its all freaky and tbh the Ebola virus scares me quite a bit.

Oh god this ome gives me a bad feeling. I hate it. Just feel odd. Horrid horrid horrid. Dont feel good about this at all. Probably as its so foul. (And ive played plague inc)

I thought of the plague game as soon as I read this post too! It's terrifying :(

I felt that way when bird flu was meant to be coming to wipe us out, Ebola is terrifying but these are 3rd world countries, overcrowding, poor nutrition, living conditions, sanitation etc; it is scary but the press do dramatise everything to shift papers.

I felt that way when bird flu was meant to be coming to wipe us out, Ebola is terrifying but these are 3rd world countries, overcrowding, poor nutrition, living conditions, sanitation etc; it is scary but the press do dramatise everything to shift papers.

Its the bleeding that gets me. Its also a type of virus that no one has a clue how to start on a vaccine or cure. One infected person has enough to infect the planet in theory. I didnt know much till earlier but I bet within months a western country will have an outbreak :(

I'm a self confessed worrier but certain things make me go cold when I read them and this outbreak did when I read about it a few weeks ago. Hate sounding like a doom monger but this is really worrying me for some reason.

Me too. I highly suspect this wont go away. People are dismissing it. I guarantee we get a uk case. My anxiety is ridic.

Me too. I highly suspect this wont go away. People are dismissing it. I guarantee we get a uk case. My anxiety is ridic.

Yeah i must stop reading news stories - not good for those of us prone to anxiety! Like someone else said, it's written to sell, not always accurately inform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->