I know its DM but terrifying!

Were the American scientists ok?

This is pretty recent, so no final outcome yet. One is looking like she won't make it, they say her situation is pretty grim. But it hasn't spread to any of her family. The other just came down with it Sunday or yesterday, I think, so definitely no final news on him yet. They were pretty confident they isolated him quickly enough that it won't have spread to his family though. He contacted and reported at first symptoms to be isolated.

It's really not "treatable", its just one of those they'll either make it through it or they won't type illnesses. there's no treatment or cure. I think they just try to help treat the symptoms, like trying to help with fever, and aches, etc. while in isolation. Might be experimental treatments too, from CDC, to see if anything they have been working on helps. But this is something that's been worked on for years in Biolevel 4 at CDC, so I can't imagine anything helps or they'd have been using it by now.

What a horrible thing to go through, must be awful for the families not to be able to see them either.

^ nor me but sneezing?

I just wondered why they had a cobra meeting if not worried? Is that standard. Honestly I think they will play it right down. I don't know whats worse that or thermonuclear war lol

I think cobra meetings happen very regularly. We just don't hear about it.

I really think the best thing to do if you're anxious about it is not read about it. Media will ALWAYS sensationalise which will heighten any anxieties you have. It's a good thing that they are preparing and preempting how they would react to any cases. Hopefully the countries involved closing their borders will help to contain the outbreak.

Eta - that advice is given as much to myself as others as I need to stop reading about it as it makes me scared!

The thing that scares me is no cure or treatment at all. Id rather be put out of my misery!

This was it. It also speaks of outbreaks being contained, which is no longer true :(
https://healthmap.org/site/diseasedaily/article/pigs-monkeys-ebola-goes-airborne-112112

This was it. It also speaks of outbreaks being contained, which is no longer true :(
https://healthmap.org/site/diseasedaily/article/pigs-monkeys-ebola-goes-airborne-112112

read the link, I think what they experienced was likely laboratory environment related changes in the virus, and as they mentioned, not how the virus typically acts in its natural environment. Interesting that its capable of infecting more types of animals than previously thought, though. Last I had read, and this was years back, was that it was thought to be only a primate/human infectious virus.

This is awful but I've been watching Utopia and it is all I can think about when I read or hear about Ebola.

I read this article when it came out and it scares the crap out of me!! I'm trying to stay rational, so until it's ok the UK and starts to spread I'm not going to worry. If that does happen, I'd like to think I could stay indoors until it's over!!!

I'm petrified of this! Literally so scared, every time I get an ache or pain I think I've got it and I don't even know the symptoms. Elodie had a temp the other day and I was so worried but think it was due to her teeth as she was fine after calpol. I've got a throat ulcer and sore ear so now I'm worrying about myself :haha:

My auntie is flying to Tunisia tonight on holiday, is it acceptable to not lot her come up for a while when she comes home? :haha:

I got worried when I read this, but then read Sky news and Ebola test was negative.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-collapsed-following-flight-Sierra-Leone.html

https://www.cnn.com/2014/08/03/health/ebola-outbreak/index.html

Looks like one of the Americans is improving after an experimental treatment, so that's good!

Also, I think I must have misread earlier accounts of the 2 Americans, I thought they were already home and beign treated here. But they only just arrived back in US recently to be treated in isolation at a hospital in Georgia by the CDC, so I would say the families hadn't been exposed then.

ETA: Looked it up again, his family had visited him over there, that's why they were being watched with the 21 day watch. It wasn't exposure to it in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->