I know its DM but terrifying!

Luckily it isn't infectious before symptoms start and the incubation period isn't as long as some diseases. This makes it easier to control than some diseases which spread before anyone even knows they have it.

The news are definitely sensationalising it. Fear sells.
You have to consider that this outbreak is in third world countries. Countries where sanitation is low, families care for their sick using conventional methods, cleaning wounds, mopping up vomit, sponge bathing. The families also care for their dead, they clean them and prepare them for burial, and ebola can still be transmitted from an infected dead person. Ebola symptoms are also very similar to other conditions, such as malaria, which is common in these countries. Family members will not know how to differentiate between ebola and malaria, and therefore not take the necessary precautions to prevent spread.
IF ebola managed to get over the the US/UK/ect, it would be a completely different kettle of fish, as is currently being seen in suspected cases. As soon as symptoms present, and it is clear the person has a link to west Africa, the person is quarentined. Should someone fall ill on a flight, and potentially infect each person on the plane (which would be very, very unlikely since it is difficult to spread), then we are much more prepared and able to quarentine and control it. A good example of this is the SARS and MERs outbreaks, which are much easier to transmit. We also survived H1N1 pretty well.

Although potentially we could have an outbreak, it is highly unlikely.

The news are definitely scaremongering, they are not presenting the facts. Ebola is not an airborne disease like flu. It is reasonably difficult to catch unless you have had contact with an infected persons bodily fluids. Yes the incubation period can be up to 21 days but it is not infectious before symptoms start to show.

Africa is a third world country, disease is rife, the unsanitary conditions allow infectious diseases like Ebola to spread far more easily than they would here, how can people wash their hands when they don't even have clean water? The majority don't have flushing toilets or running water or access to antibacterial sprays and wipes. They care for their sick in their homes, they prepare their deceased for burial themselves. People complain about our NHS and our hospitals but they are a thousand times better than what they have in the infected areas.

Bird flu scares me more if I'm being honest. That virus has the potential to really pose a problem if it mutates into an easily transmissible strain.

My coworkers partner is doing volunteer work in Africa and he is going to visit him next month. I proposed a 21-day paid vacation upon his return...

But no really, I'm not really worried about myself, it is pretty far removed from Arkansas. But I won't be coming near that guy from work for a month or so after he gets back...it's not like we exchange bodily fluids though!

He thought it had to be blood or sexual-type fluids though, he didn't think you could get it from a sneeze. I'll have to remind him to avoid sneezes and coughs too!

Could be man made for population control....

Hah I no, after reading this thread I started freaking our and this was the response I got from OH.
It sounds like one of the most horrific ways to die. Bleeding from eyes and nose, vomiting and basically exploding by the sounds of it.
This is why I never watch the news, I like to live in my happy little bubble

Argh someone taken to hospital in Glasgow with "possible although very unlikely ebola"... only 5 or so miles from me! An illeagal immigrant Sierra Leone i think. :nope::cry:

Just read that the tests came back negative. Daily Mail jumping the gun again eh.

Thank goodness!! It was on the news as well :)

Thank goodness. But im still worrird as they say its not hit the worst yet x

As someone else said, the places it is spreading very quickly some are third world countries so poor hygiene, no way of quarantine or isolation or containing it and a lot of families In those countries care for their sick personally so will not know what the person may have so a lot of people in one family may catch it.

Cleanliness and hygiene and medical facilities are better equipped (hopefully) for something like this.

As a pp fear sell, sensationalising sells. I'm not letting it worry me unless it's on my door step as life is too short anyway :)

Shrug. I live in Africa and couldn't less concerned.

^^^^^^ reassuring words if there ever was any! 👌

I live about 2 hours from Emory hospital (where the infected doctor is quarantined) and the CDC. I'm not terribly worried, as they have done a good job here quelling people's concerns. The methods they used to transport the doctor, as well as his current environment, are incredibly secure. As the head of Emory's nursing department stated, "we have been ready and waiting for this for years".

Lol let's just hope this post isn't my "famous last words". To be honest though, the thought of the huge CDC building housing all of their germies scares me more than the current Ebola outbreak. Now if THAT places goes...

I live about 2 hours from Emory hospital (where the infected doctor is quarantined) and the CDC. I'm not terribly worried, as they have done a good job here quelling people's concerns. The methods they used to transport the doctor, as well as his current environment, are incredibly secure. As the head of Emory's nursing department stated, "we have been ready and waiting for this for years".

Lol let's just hope this post isn't my "famous last words". To be honest though, the thought of the huge CDC building housing all of their germies scares me more than the current Ebola outbreak. Now if THAT places goes...

Considering hospitals run more like businesses in the US as they are private I'm amazed a hospital is taking on an Ebola patient given how scared it could make others to not use it?

Considering hospitals run more like businesses in the US as they are private I'm amazed a hospital is taking on an Ebola patient given how scared it could make others to not use it?

Meh, they've had local outbreaks of other diseases that were actually more likely to spread to others. Like the bird flu epidemic, swine flu, the SARS scare, MERS , etc. People couldn't just avoid hospitals because they might have infected people there. Yes, ebola is pretty deadly, but the risk of getting an outbreak of that here is extremely low. I'm more concerned about catching more common diseases to our area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->