I know its DM but terrifying!

...Lol let's just hope this post isn't my "famous last words". To be honest though, the thought of the huge CDC building housing all of their germies scares me more than the current Ebola outbreak. Now if THAT places goes...

I'm with you on that, and I don't even live close by!

BBC news last night reported that the aid workers from America who were diagnosed with Ebola have left hospital cured using an experimental drug, surely this is a good thing? Of course it could depend on a lot of things

I don't know it was just the short news after eastenders last night

Islamic state.

And with british now going over to join and behead American journalists its becoming very scary but I think that needa a whole new thread x

Just heard the C-17 land bringing the Ebola patient home to the UK, really hope they make a good recovery.

First contracted case in the States: one of the health workers treating the poor fellow who died. As the wife of a paramedic who also works on the flight/airport team at an international airport, I find it a tad unnerving how frequently the poor health workers seem to be getting nailed. Both the Spanish nurse who was recently infected and this US worker were reported to have been wearing appropriate protective gear. :(

First contracted case in the States: one of the health workers treating the poor fellow who died. As the wife of a paramedic who also works on the flight/airport team at an international airport, I find it a tad unnerving how frequently the poor health workers seem to be getting nailed. Both the Spanish nurse who was recently infected and this US worker were reported to have been wearing appropriate protective gear. :(

I think with it being so extremely highly infectious though, and having exact protocols for even removing protective gear in order to keep any fluids from getting on you, its just bound to happen when these are regular healthcare workers who have never been trained in proper decontamination for a level 4 biohazard. Sending hospital employees a link from the CDC about it, and having employee meetings about the importance of proper PPE isn't enough for hospitals actually facing this. They need proper training by CDC, and even then, mistakes are going to be made because its so new to these healthcare workers. It's an extremely difficult situation.

Yeah, I read a bit more about how easy a slip up could be for those not used to such protocols and I think I have a better understanding of how it could happen. I have my fingers crossed that those couple of exposures will help raise that sort of support for other health care workers new to such things.
It's funny, but I am remembering reading The Hot Zone and how those working with Ebola had to go into the decontamination showers before they unsuited. I wonder why that has changed?

Yeah, I read a bit more about how easy a slip up could be for those not used to such protocols and I think I have a better understanding of how it could happen. I have my fingers crossed that those couple of exposures will help raise that sort of support for other health care workers new to such things.
It's funny, but I am remembering reading The Hot Zone and how those working with Ebola had to go into the decontamination showers before they unsuited. I wonder why that has changed?

I'm not sure that part has changed, they might still be doing that. But there apparently is an exact way that PPE is to be removed, especially gloves, that is not the natural instinct way to remove them, so without proper training in that procedure, it would be very easy to do incorrectly and chance getting infected material on you.

They do, but I think (from talking to husband) that it's maybe a bit more theoretical than practical?

They do, but I think (from talking to husband) that it's maybe a bit more theoretical than practical?

This is exactly it. They are shown how to remove them properly, but when you have done it one way your whole career, its very hard to switch to another way of removing PPE all of a sudden and remember exactly how you are supposed to do it. Even though you are taught in these types of emergency situations, sometimes your natural instinct still may take over. Kind of like when you are driving somewhere you've been a thousand times, and halfway through the drive you realize you don't know how you got that far other than you are just so used to doing it all the time. I think that's what may be happening. Especially with glove removal, the way most remove them is to grab the top of the glove and pull it off; that's the way that is easiest and makes the most sense. That's not how its done with Ebola, though, because you risk touching your skin if you remove them that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->