I know it's too early to wean but...

stepmum

Oliver's Mummy
Reaction score
Any other suggestions that I could try with my hungry monkey? He seems t have a bottomless pit for a stomach :shrug: he's currently on
7am - 8oz bottle
11am - 8oz bottle
3pm - 8oz bottle
7pm - 8oz bottle
11pm - 5oz bottle
And he'll sometimes wake early hours and takes another 4 or 5ozs..but for the last 4 or 5 days he seems very unsettled still and could possibly have more than 8oz (though he won't take them any earlier than every 4 hours), I know it's too early to wean him just yet and we've got a while to go until we can but I'm lost as to what to do now?

If I increase it to 9oz I feel like that is too much and he won't take every 3 hours, plus do babies actually reach the 9oz before weaning. He is around 13lbs now. Oh and I've been watching for the signs and he has started eating his hands and watching us eat but again, it's still too early isn't it.

I would try him on hungry baby milk but I'm a bit dubious as he is on SMA and I'm not sure if they do a hungry baby milk..I've only seen Cow and Gate and Aptamil so I'm a little unsure in case he won't take to a different brand.

Any ideas? Do they have a growth spurt at this age?

It's a bit early to wean him but the hungry milk helps.
SMA do a version.

My ds was the same, drinking 8oz every feed by 6 weeks. The HV said once they start drinking that amount to move to hungry baby milk.

My sil's lo was not drinking as much but age weaned her anyway at 6 weeks. I'm not saying it's connected (could be though) but her little girl now has bowel problems and diabetes. That's put me off weaning early

Forgot to say, once my son was on the hungry milk he was much more fuller and settled, still drank 8oz but seemed stuffed after it whereas b4 he seemed more hungry and unsettled.

oh thanks, I'll go searching for this SMA hungry baby milk. I didn't want to wean him so early either but I'm running out of ideas so hungry baby milk it is (just bought 3 tins of the normal stuff too!) x

Babies eat their hands, and watch everything, but it doesn't mean they are ready or even realise the concept of food and eating.
I think the SMA hungry baby is an option. But in the first 3 months there's loads of growth spurts. I'd probably ride it out a lil longer and see what he decides in a few days, he might reduce again/not feed as often

There is a growth spurt around 6 weeks which could be what your LO is going through. I would wait and ride it out as it if is just a growth spurt your LO needs the calories. Hungry baby milk doesnt contain any more calories or nutrients it just fills them up for longer.

SMA defo do a hungry baby milk. I think hes still quite a bit too young to be weaned. Hopefully its a growth spurt and he'll settle down again soon x

There is a growth spurt around 6 weeks which could be what your LO is going through. I would wait and ride it out as it if is just a growth spurt your LO needs the calories. Hungry baby milk doesnt contain any more calories or nutrients it just fills them up for longer.

Oh do we take into consideration the adjusted age for growth spurts too? I didn't realise, it could be that...he's actually been less hungry today but don't know if that's because of the heat :shrug: I'll see how he goes, thanks for the advice ladies :thumbup:

yes my LO got her growth spurts at adjusted ages x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->