I live in the same area as the man in Dallas who has Ebola

I think it comes down to this. I have small children. Millions of us have small children. How hard is it really for someone to travel internationally, sneeze on the ground at a mall, and a child to end up putting their hands in it? It isn't hard at all. They can sit there are tell us this and that but I will not soon be forgetting that they said its unlikely anyone with Ebola would travel because they'd be too sick. Bullshit. Every other day, a new case is popping up somewhere in the world. It's not fair to put the WORLD at risk.

Truth be told, it's the worlds fault. We should have acted MONTHS ago. We were arrogant and selfish. But now it's too late. It's popping up everywhere. It needs to end. I'm not saying don't send in aid workers but the borders need to close.

People only give a shit now because it's affecting the western world, previously when it was just in Africa few gave a damn, it wouldn't surprise me if effective treatment or prevention comes out of it now the rich, scared, white people could be at risk (and now a profit could be made from it).

I don't think that is fair TBH.. Before, when it was 'contained' its wasn't such a threat. Just because its outside of those countries now doesn't mean its just a threat to 'white' people. Its a threat to everyone! They probably did think that it could be contained, but now it is clear it cannot!

Don't play the race card.

Of course people are scared of it being brought back to their country! My OH has just come back from EG........he flew via Nigeria and yes, I was scared.
He also came via Frankfurt and if it was there I would have been equally as scared.

Lol this is the attitude I'm talking about exactly, so when it was contained, I.e. Only killing Africans, it wasn't something to be worried about right? But now it's not just killing Africans, now we're going to do more about it yeah? I was just being deliberately controversial with the white thing, but I will most definitely play the nationality card, most people didn't care when it was poor Africans dying. End of. I'm not talking about being scared perse that's each individual's business as to how scared you feel (with the media's help) but the general attitude and definitely the actions of governments and medical science were blasé about the ramifications until it got closer to home, understandable to an extent but still morally deplorable.

Agree for sure. I think this is pretty general for ANY type of outbreak, though, no matter where its occurring. People don't every typically care until the threat of it coming to their own home area. Look at the bird flu thing, the SARS scares, etc. People talked about it, but no one really cared until it actually became a huge issue that threatened to come where they lived. Def agree that its morally deplorable to feel that way, but also can't exclude myself from that. I've been guilty plenty of times of not caring about illnesses elsewhere (I mean really, truly caring beyond just talking about it) unless I was afraid it was going to become a local problem.

I think it comes down to this. I have small children. Millions of us have small children. How hard is it really for someone to travel internationally, sneeze on the ground at a mall, and a child to end up putting their hands in it? It isn't hard at all. They can sit there are tell us this and that but I will not soon be forgetting that they said its unlikely anyone with Ebola would travel because they'd be too sick. Bullshit. Every other day, a new case is popping up somewhere in the world. It's not fair to put the WORLD at risk.

Truth be told, it's the worlds fault. We should have acted MONTHS ago. We were arrogant and selfish. But now it's too late. It's popping up everywhere. It needs to end. I'm not saying don't send in aid workers but the borders need to close.

People only give a shit now because it's affecting the western world, previously when it was just in Africa few gave a damn, it wouldn't surprise me if effective treatment or prevention comes out of it now the rich, scared, white people could be at risk (and now a profit could be made from it).

I don't think that is fair TBH.. Before, when it was 'contained' its wasn't such a threat. Just because its outside of those countries now doesn't mean its just a threat to 'white' people. Its a threat to everyone! They probably did think that it could be contained, but now it is clear it cannot!

Of course people are scared of it being brought back to their country! My OH has just come back from EG........he flew via Nigeria and yes, I was scared.
He also came via Frankfurt and if it was there I would have been equally as scared.

Lol this is the attitude I'm talking about exactly, so when it was contained, I.e. Only killing Africans, it wasn't something to be worried about right? But now it's not just killing Africans, now we're going to do more about it yeah? I was just being deliberately controversial with the white thing, but I will most definitely play the nationality card, most people didn't care when it was poor Africans dying. End of. I'm not talking about being scared perse that's each individual's business as to how scared you feel (with the media's help) but the general attitude and definitely the actions of governments and medical science were blasé about the ramifications until it got closer to home, understandable to an extent but still morally deplorable.

Agree for sure. I think this is pretty general for ANY type of outbreak, though, no matter where its occurring. People don't every typically care until the threat of it coming to their own home area. Look at the bird flu thing, the SARS scares, etc. People talked about it, but no one really cared until it actually became a huge issue that threatened to come where they lived. Def agree that its morally deplorable to feel that way, but also can't exclude myself from that. I've been guilty plenty of times of not caring about illnesses elsewhere (I mean really, truly caring beyond just talking about it) unless I was afraid it was going to become a local problem.

Oh absolutely, I'm not trying to take any kind of moral high ground I am exactly the same, as I say I think it's understandable and even natural we can't worry about everything and plan for everything it would be exhausting, but it doesn't make it right and when it starts breaking out like it has now you can't help but feel it's a bit of karma for our ignorance if I can say that? Not that any person anywhere deserves this, but if we put our heads in the sand it can catch up with us.

I think it would be fair to say the western world wasn't exactly aware of it? I was, but I've been saying since I learned about it that we need to stop it ASAP not faff about.

I think it would be fair to say the western world wasn't exactly aware of it? I was, but I've been saying since I learned about it that we need to stop it ASAP not faff about.

Governments and the medical world have been well aware of it for decades.

I certainly first heard about it years ago. There have been plenty of "minor" outbreaks before, and I've been hearing about this one's progress for months.

The thing is, it is not THAT hard to contain if you have the right knowledge and equipment. Despite the blazing mistakes/ omissions in the US and Spanish cases, it does not actually look like anyone further has been infected. When developed countries with resources take it seriously, it is quite containable. When developed countries faff around and ignore outbreaks in poor countries until they reach epidemic status because, as noted, it is only more poor black people dying, then it becomes much much harder to get it under control.

I certainly first heard about it years ago. There have been plenty of "minor" outbreaks before, and I've been hearing about this one's progress for months.

The thing is, it is not THAT hard to contain if you have the right knowledge and equipment. Despite the blazing mistakes/ omissions in the US and Spanish cases, it does not actually look like anyone further has been infected. When developed countries with resources take it seriously, it is quite containable. When developed countries faff around and ignore outbreaks in poor countries until they reach epidemic status because, as noted, it is only more poor black people dying, then it becomes much much harder to get it under control.

Educating undeveloped countries about how its spread is a major problem as well, when they have such strong cultural beliefs about caring for their sick and caring for the bodies of their dead in their own homes. It's extremely difficult to change how people have always done things, even in light of these extreme epidemic conditions.

ETA: I also remember smaller outbreaks of this 10, 15 years ago; its not a new disease. I even thought about becoming a virologist back when I was in high school because I found it so fascinating. Thank goodness I changed my mind!!! Much safer diagnosing cancer;)

I live in San Antonio...not far from you. I promise it is blown up way worse than it needs to be.

A) Unless you and your children are interacting with his bodily fluids, or anyone else showing symptoms...you're fine. You can only get it from direct contact by someone who is symptomatic.

B) Our medical care in the US is about 2387575837465901 times better than the medical care in Africa where this virus is a serious epidemic. It is easily contained here, whereas the poor people in Africa have no choice but to wait it out and hope they don't die from it.

Don't worry, you'll be fine :flower:

I live in san antonio also I have never met anyone on here that lives in the same city.

i live in San Antonio too :)

I just googled the man who passed away...

No offense, but it's an outrage that his family wants to examine the treatment that he was given. That they sent him home on sept 25, and they wonder if he would have survived had they admitted him right away...

Now that may very well be, but HE LIED HIS WAY TO THE US...
How is it the hospitals fault that they didnt give care to their standards. He had an obligation to himself, his family, and all of the people he is coming in contact with the be upfront and honest about his interactions with this deadly illness...

Yeah, they are talking about suing now. But Liberia had an arrest warrant out for him because he lied on his questionnaire at the airport so he is a proven liar.

I really do not want anyone to get it. But my kids come first over anyone else. I will do whatever it takes to protect them.

Just read in the news that a healthcare worker who was part of his treatment team has now contracted it, and the hospital is cited for breach of protocol for anyone to have contracted it. Also, another possible case in Boston.

Just read in the news that a healthcare worker who was part of his treatment team has now contracted it, and the hospital is cited for breach of protocol for anyone to have contracted it. Also, another possible case in Boston.

Yeah she tested positive for it. They say she is really sick. The one in Boston they just confirmed he did not have it.

And now everyone in Cleveland is freaking out....reports on the news that the 2nd health care worker who just came down with it was on a flight in Cleveland the day before she was diagnosed. I'm sharing your major discomfort now, Jazzycat, this is way too close to home for my liking. It's so much easier to put aside the worry about it when the closest case is 1000s miles away. Not so now.

And now everyone in Cleveland is freaking out....reports on the news that the 2nd health care worker who just came down with it was on a flight in Cleveland the day before she was diagnosed. I'm sharing your major discomfort now, Jazzycat, this is way too close to home for my liking. It's so much easier to put aside the worry about it when the closest case is 1000s miles away. Not so now.

I'm with you...

Too close for comfort. I take some comfort in the fact that it is not contagious until symptoms arise but I have read that she DID have a high temp before the plane ride that later came down? Can't remember where and I hope to god not but why the HELL would you get on a f*cking plane after treating a now dead ebola patient. Wtf are people thinking???? Infuriates me.

Too close for comfort. I take some comfort in the fact that it is not contagious until symptoms arise but I have read that she DID have a high temp before the plane ride that later came down? Can't remember where and I hope to god not but why the HELL would you get on a f*cking plane after treating a now dead ebola patient. Wtf are people thinking???? Infuriates me.

Yeah and now I found out that one of my friends who is also a nurse there was one of the 70 that helped Mr. Duncan. She has basically made herself a hermit and hasn't seen her kids or husband in days. I talked to her and she finally confided in me. I told my sister who is also a nurse there and she said, "yeah, i knew but we were not suppose to give out names to anyone.".

Protocols dictate she takes no public transit until she is cleared and yet she left on a plane to Cleveland after recording a temp of 99.9 because it went down? Do you think she should be prosecuted? Her RN license taken away? Or nothing? I just want legitimate answers on this. I actually have a friend who was one of the 70 to take care of Duncan. She has basically became a hermit and hasn't seen her family in a while. We deliver her food and she gets a calls from her babies on skype. I just do not see why she would do this? Knowing that she could potentially be a carrier.

Call me insensitive, but I have NO sympathy for that Duncan man! I'm angry that he would lie to get over here and look at the Dave it's causing! And with more people becoming ill and people still boarding planes, it's inevitable that this disease will reach every part of the country... And before now, I never knew anything about the disease... Forgive me, but I live in the United States! In 1995, I was in junior high! So out if sight out if mind, I doubt the people of Africa give a DAMN That it's spread over here.. Or anywhere for that matter.. So many issues happen in our own country but were expected to worry about EVERYONE?!?! I'm sorry, but as previous poster already said, my kids come first... That's my only concern... But something needs to be done to protect the countries that haven't been overtaken by this illness... God help us!

Call me insensitive, but I have NO sympathy for that Duncan man! I'm angry that he would lie to get over here and look at the Dave it's causing! And with more people becoming ill and people still boarding planes, it's inevitable that this disease will reach every part of the country... And before now, I never knew anything about the disease... Forgive me, but I live in the United States! In 1995, I was in junior high! So out if sight out if mind, I doubt the people of Africa give a DAMN That it's spread over here.. Or anywhere for that matter.. So many issues happen in our own country but were expected to worry about EVERYONE?!?! I'm sorry, but as previous poster already said, my kids come first... That's my only concern... But something needs to be done to protect the countries that haven't been overtaken by this illness... God help us!

Something needs to be done about ALL the countries that have this disease in it ALREADY, if not due to morality but for the sake of your children and the the rest of ours. You make it sound like countries that have it should be shut off and forgotten about until it's over and that's the kind of attitude that's got it to this point frankly.

She was open about her fever, asked advice from those screening (CDC related) and was given the all-clear to travel, so in this case I would be leaning towards no.

ETA: I'm sorry about your friend, that sounds very stressful for her and her family/friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->