I live in the same area as the man in Dallas who has Ebola

Call me insensitive, but I have NO sympathy for that Duncan man! I'm angry that he would lie to get over here and look at the Dave it's causing! And with more people becoming ill and people still boarding planes, it's inevitable that this disease will reach every part of the country... And before now, I never knew anything about the disease... Forgive me, but I live in the United States! In 1995, I was in junior high! So out if sight out if mind, I doubt the people of Africa give a DAMN That it's spread over here.. Or anywhere for that matter.. So many issues happen in our own country but were expected to worry about EVERYONE?!?! I'm sorry, but as previous poster already said, my kids come first... That's my only concern... But something needs to be done to protect the countries that haven't been overtaken by this illness... God help us!
God help ME because I am trying very hard not to use bad language right now.

Let me be very clear... The ONLY way to protect countries where Ebola is not yet established is to first get it under control in the countries where it is established. This is NOT a problem that can be treated with an "out of sight, out of mind" attitude. You don't get to cite the lucky accident of your birthplace as a reason not to give a shit about people who were born into conditions that your privileged ass can't even comprehend. Oh look, I'm starting to use bad language. I'd better quit now.

well if you have a better idea, please feel free to let the cdc know about it. As a whole, in every country, we have an obligation... If I handled deceased bodies of ebola victims, I would be voicing it to the nearest medical center.... Not boarding planes and lying about my contact. I have zero clue as to how to become prepared for this to affect my cities around me... But im gonna do the best I can to protect myself here, and I hope everyone else does the same.

Call me insensitive, but I have NO sympathy for that Duncan man! I'm angry that he would lie to get over here and look at the Dave it's causing! And with more people becoming ill and people still boarding planes, it's inevitable that this disease will reach every part of the country... And before now, I never knew anything about the disease... Forgive me, but I live in the United States! In 1995, I was in junior high! So out if sight out if mind, I doubt the people of Africa give a DAMN That it's spread over here.. Or anywhere for that matter.. So many issues happen in our own country but were expected to worry about EVERYONE?!?! I'm sorry, but as previous poster already said, my kids come first... That's my only concern... But something needs to be done to protect the countries that haven't been overtaken by this illness... God help us!

Let me be very clear... The ONLY way to protect countries where Ebola is not yet established is to first get it under control in the countries where it is established. This is NOT a problem that can be treated with an "out of sight, out of mind" attitude. You don't get to cite the lucky accident of your birthplace as a reason not to give a shit about people who were born into conditions that your privileged ass can't even comprehend. Oh look, I'm starting to use bad language. I'd better quit now.

Im privelaged? You dont even know me. Just because I wasnt born in their country hardly makes me privelaged. Out of sight out of mind, if you know how to read, was meant when I was in junior high. When the disease was first recognized. So of course I knew nothing and of course it was not on my mind.... Not my fault. So why dont you keep your pompous holier than thou attitude to yourself.. I hate when people get on their high horse acting like theyre mother theresa loving all others....

Im privelaged? You dont even know me. Just because I wasnt born in their country hardly makes me privelaged. Out of sight out of mind, if you know how to read, was meant when I was in junior high. When the disease was first recognized. So of course I knew nothing and of course it was not on my mind.... Not my fault. So why dont you keep your pompous holier than thou attitude to yourself.. I hate when people get on their high horse acting like theyre mother theresa loving all others....
If you have access to clean water, indoor plumbing, quality medical care and the internet, then you certainly are privileged. And considering you just said your only concern is protecting your own kids and own country, and don't think you should have to worry about "everyone else", it seems pretty clear you still have an "out of sight, out of mind" perspective.

I ain't Mother Teresa, I am a realist who understands that the real problem is not lax protocols in one American hospital, it's the fact that there could be 10,000 new cases of Ebola A WEEK within a couple of months if the Western world does not get serious about shutting the epidemic down AT SOURCE. :dohh:

Im still not even sure what the protocols are as far as how the nurses contratced the illness...
I only just read about the secind nurse getting it... I think its the mistake of the cdc that more and more people are getting it or spreading it. I dont think they know EVERYTHING about the spreading of it and cant take drastic measure to control it. They cant ban flight travel, or train, or bus... As much as we would like to stop inter border crossing, it simply cant be done... But if not, how can this be contained and why now is there being something done, or at least trying to be done? Im worried for myself and family... But im not a dr or scientist and cant even fathom how to control such a situation... Imdont know how this spread so widely in the country of origin, but it appears so laxed as far as how they were disposing of dead bodies and what not... And what kind of care is offered in that country? So many contributing factors and now look where we are. It looks as though the cdc is kearning as they go, and we can only wait and watch. And hope for the best. Me, myself, cannot do anything for the cause. I dont know... But hopefully a vaccine that is available to everyone will be brought about and we can slowly start to put this to rest... Otherwise the death toll will reach numbers higher than any pandemic we have seen. Amd theres no turning back from that, and if this disease evolves to become airborne? What then? All we can do is hope something can be done soon...

Its terrible about your friend at the hospital. Terrible because she has to worry about her own health and also for her family. But speaking for myself and my family, I am hugely grateful that she is doing that for not just herself and family, but that precaution benefits ALL OF US. And hooefully she gets cleared soon and can return to her loved ones. If I come in cintact, I know I would be worried sick about contributing to the spread... So I imagine she and everyone else who have been in contact are under huge amiunts of stress... So my heart goes out to them.

Ummm ok, im privelaged...
Arguing with you is pointless....
You twist words and make it sound like I dont care about people....
However, this disease couldnt be controlled in the country of origin and now look where its going. Spreading to other areas of the world. I dont work for the cdc, im not a dr, or a scientist... As an ignorant person to something of this magnitude, my first thought is to shut down the country its in and try and beat the disease from within... Continuing inter border travelingis only going to spread the disease... In MY opinion....
But what difference does my privilaged ass make? Not a one! Its terrible how many lives have been lost, but what more DO you want? For it to spread everywhere else to make it even? Whether I care or not for other countries is completely irrelevant... What is being done to protect EVERYONE? Do you know mother theresa, since yiure the spokesperson and advocate for the illness, im assuming, since youre just in here teying to fight and find flaws in peoples concern for their own families... Strike me dead for worrying about my family first. Doesnt mean I want this disease to take over the world... What would that mean in the end? So uts stuoid and ignorant for you to judge a worried woman.... But at the end of the day, whether other countries have running water, or I have running water, we are all in this together and have equal fight in it.... So just get off your hugh horse and let people, vent, be scared, and worry if they want... Doesnt mean im owed some superiority because I live in the us. But I have a right to worry for my family, and yoi or anyone else cannot take that away from me. So have yourself a blessed day.

Ummm ok, im privelaged...
Arguing with you is pointless....
You twist words and make it sound like I dont care about people....
However, this disease couldnt be controlled in the country of origin and now look where its going. Spreading to other areas of the world. I dont work for the cdc, im not a dr, or a scientist... As an ignorant person to something of this magnitude, my first thought is to shut down the country its in and try and beat the disease from within... Continuing inter border travelingis only going to spread the disease... In MY opinion....
But what difference does my privilaged ass make? Not a one! Its terrible how many lives have been lost, but what more DO you want? For it to spread everywhere else to make it even? Whether I care or not for other countries is completely irrelevant... What is being done to protect EVERYONE? Do you know mother theresa, since yiure the spokesperson and advocate for the illness, im assuming, since youre just in here teying to fight and find flaws in peoples concern for their own families... Strike me dead for worrying about my family first. Doesnt mean I want this disease to take over the world... What would that mean in the end? So uts stuoid and ignorant for you to judge a worried woman.... But at the end of the day, whether other countries have running water, or I have running water, we are all in this together and have equal fight in it.... So just get off your hugh horse and let people, vent, be scared, and worry if they want... Doesnt mean im owed some superiority because I live in the us. But I have a right to worry for my family, and yoi or anyone else cannot take that away from me. So have yourself a blessed day.

Okay... you're not really making a lot of sense.

Do I want the disease to spread everywhere to "make it even"? What??? Why would I, or anyone want that? I'm an "advocate" for the disease? Of course I'm not. I would prefer that not one single more person died from it, whether that person is a Liberian or an American.

But the fact remains that the real problem is not in America. Yes, you have a couple of cases and yes, that is scary. But it is a huge overreaction to suggest that the borders of three African countries should be closed and that will somehow help protect the rest of the world. It's just... impossible to close a border. I mean, you know that. The US, with all its manpower, couldn't even close the border to Mexico effectively in an epidemic.

Imagine what will happen if the 'rest of the world' tells Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, "Hey, we don't want your disease so we're cutting off all your trade, tourism and exit routes." Those countries have contiguous borders with four other countries. People are going to panic and just leave on foot or by car or by boat, in huge numbers. What are we going to do, gun them all down? People will be leaving undocumented, meaning the chances that you will ever be able to track the flow of disease are destroyed forever. The reason it's trackable in the States right now is that everyone who comes in or out or travels in mass transit is documented. Do you want to lose that advantage?

Bit of a leap from having an educated and compassionate opinion on something to being Mother Teresa but anyway ...

Funny thing. I have a good friend who is employed privately as a Doctor by a mine in Sierra Leone and he's much less worried about Ebola than my OH's sister who lives in Texas. Does make me laugh a little :haha:

Tough question. I don't think it's possible to prosecute someone if they haven't broken a law, and breaking hospital protocol doesn't quality as law.

But it was certainly an extremely foolhardy choice, with or without a recorded temperature, and under normal circumstances I would say she should face professional censure.

In this circumstance, should she even survive, I imagine professional censure is probably way the hell down the list of things that are going to cause her to feel remorse for her decision and change her future behaviour, so it seems a bit pointless.

I feel so heart sorry that this has got so badly out of hand in Africa, all those poor little orphans and poor little kids getting it it isn't helping with my hormones!

But for me in the UK it's keeping a rational head on about it. There was a story on the radio yesterday about a Liberian student who couldn't get a flat because the landlord wrote him letter saying because he was originally from an Ebola country or could go back to visit there at anytime he couldn't have the flat, it's completely ridiculous. An expert from the university in Liverpool says you would not catch it from sharing with a flat mate, and that it is very unlikely to affect the UK or usa etc in the same way it has Africa, but more does need to be done to stop it in Africa.

Even if cases do appear in the western world good hand hygiene and common sense will be enough.

Also I do believe that a vaccine is being rolled out to healthcare workers early next year which would be great

We are privileged, so much so we have become unaccustomed to death and it becomes something limited as much as possible to the elderly. Truthfully 100/150 years ago not all of us and our children would have been here, medical advances are such that a lot of things have been eradicated or can be cured. Thats why Ebola scares us so much because it cant at the moment be cured or vaccinated against.

The surprisingly useless response of the CDC in America aside I think the outbreak will be shut down. Clearly Ebola becomes more and more infectious the longer a person has the disease and proper precautions should shut it down. Nigeria did it within 20 cases and Congo did it with 80 (which is what usually happens) so I think America will be no different.

That said even from a selfish perspective the only way we can stop Ebola is in West Africa with a concerted effort by everyone. Hospital beds and proper burials to ensure that the infection rate goes down is the only way. Otherwise shutting it off will cause panic and people to run and it will never go away.

I feel so heart sorry that this has got so badly out of hand in Africa, all those poor little orphans and poor little kids getting it it isn't helping with my hormones!

But for me in the UK it's keeping a rational head on about it. There was a story on the radio yesterday about a Liberian student who couldn't get a flat because the landlord wrote him letter saying because he was originally from an Ebola country or could go back to visit there at anytime he couldn't have the flat, it's completely ridiculous. An expert from the university in Liverpool says you would not catch it from sharing with a flat mate, and that it is very unlikely to affect the UK or usa etc in the same way it has Africa, but more does need to be done to stop it in Africa.

Even if cases do appear in the western world good hand hygiene and common sense will be enough.

Also I do believe that a vaccine is being rolled out to healthcare workers early next year which would be great

Hand hygiene and common sense in theory, but the reality is it takes more than just good hand hygiene to avoid infection with a level 4 biohazard material. And also many people lack common sense, like this nurse who thought it was a good idea to travel out of state to visit family and friends during her 21 day watch period.

Also, I'm pretty skeptical about the vaccine. I think they'd do better to continue working on treatments for the sickness right now, such as the ZMAPP that has had some success. At this point, who exactly do they think will be lining up to be the first one to try a vaccine for a deadly virus that they have no way of knowing if it will work, or whether it could infect the person? This is still the biggest worry for the vaccine, given no human trials on it yet.

The whole thing is a very scary situation over there, and here now too with these new cases. I do agree with pp that the biggest thing right now is working on containing this at the SOURCE. Resources need to be sent, aid needs to be sent, whatever is needed to shut this down, as ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away. It's going to make it worse. This isn't the small outbreaks from the 70s, 80s, and 90s that quickly died down, which is why so few have heard about ebola until now. This magnitude of infection really needs support from EVERYONE to contain, as it containing means stopping the threat from reaching EVERYONE. It's not about their country vs our country. We can't think that way. Yes, its much easier in our mindset to take it less seriously when its overseas, not affecting us AT ALL, but when it reaches a threat level like it has over these past few months, you just can't turn a blind eye to helping, and supporting them in this fight for containment.

I think what they do is going to likely be a result of whether anyone else becomes sick due to her complete stupidity in traveling while under a watch for something so serious. If others become sick as a result of this, I absolutely do think something should be done, really to set a standard that endangering the lives of others when you have been exposed treating an ebola patient is NOT okay. The other nurses who are staying home, hermiting themselves away clearly have a much better understanding of the seriousness and the need to contain any possible spread.

ETA: If others become sick, and anyone dies as a result, they will likely view it as manslaughter if they are looking to bring up charges against her. The fact that she knew she could potentially become ill, and still risked exposing others, DOES fall under that if others get sick and die. Same as if an HIV patient knowingly spreads HIV. No, she didn't know she was sick yet, but she knew the potential was there, especially given a coworker had caught the virus.

Thats just it, you'd think it would be, but my bet is that it wouldnt. The CDC isnt even being forthcoming about its information. Did you know the nurse that flew was CLEARED by the CDC and had permission to fly??

I just read about that :nope: I strongly believe this CAN be stopped but that's only if people would start having some common sense!!

Has she actually be known to have passed it on to anyone yet though? (Genuine question) I've not heard reports of her vomiting on the plane etc, basically having done anything that makes it seem likely to have passed it on? You hear of 100+ people being watched after close contact with someone but none of them actually seem to turn into a further case of Ebola? I'm not saying it's unnecessary, it obviously is, but just that it goes to show it isn't spreading in the western world?

I was basically meaning that I have seen some forums where there is mass hysteria about it, people saying they will catch it from door handles or from simply being In the same vicinity, that people could be walking around with it infecting everyone else and that quite simply is not true. I meant good hand hygiene and common sense to protect ourselves from catching it not so much the health workers as I am aware they are at a much bigger risk of getting it than the general public, it was just me saying that I personally am not getting into a tizz over it or allowing myself to be scare mongered by the media that it's going to wipe out the planet, I have read loads about it online and I know I am highly unlikely to get it just keeping a rational head on.

As far as I know, no it hasn't been passed onto anyone yet from her.

She was open about her fever, asked advice from those screening (CDC related) and was given the all-clear to travel, so in this case I would be leaning towards no.

ETA: I'm sorry about your friend, that sounds very stressful for her and her family/friends.

yeah the CDC said they didn't give her permission and now they are changing their story. I dunno what to believe anymore. The CDC has made this worse six ways from Sunday.

She was open about her fever, asked advice from those screening (CDC related) and was given the all-clear to travel, so in this case I would be leaning towards no.

ETA: I'm sorry about your friend, that sounds very stressful for her and her family/friends.

yeah the CDC said they didn't give her permission and now they are changing their story. I dunno what to believe anymore. The CDC has made this worse six ways from Sunday.

Yeah, I keep reading changes to this story too, so not sure what to make of it now. Latest seems to be that they told her she could travel with that low grade of a fever, but also seeing stories that say they never said one way or the other about travel and she interpreted that to mean she was allowed to...I don't know. CDC has been changing their story enough to make me question whose at fault here for sure, but regardless of fault, there's no way she should have been in Ohio visiting family when she was on a watch period, and then traveling back home. That part doesn't change as negligent behavior on her part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->