I live in the same area as the man in Dallas who has Ebola

Jazzycat123

Reaction score
:nope:I wasnt worried for me and my children but the more people who are being watched because they came in contact with him is starting to scare me. the way our CDC keeps stepping on their tongues while talking about this is scaring me as well. They seem to not know anything about it. I know logically I am probably okay but it is still literally making my night sleepless because I keep thinking about the what ifs.

I live in San Antonio...not far from you. I promise it is blown up way worse than it needs to be.

A) Unless you and your children are interacting with his bodily fluids, or anyone else showing symptoms...you're fine. You can only get it from direct contact by someone who is symptomatic.

B) Our medical care in the US is about 2387575837465901 times better than the medical care in Africa where this virus is a serious epidemic. It is easily contained here, whereas the poor people in Africa have no choice but to wait it out and hope they don't die from it.

Don't worry, you'll be fine :flower:

I live in San Antonio...not far from you. I promise it is blown up way worse than it needs to be.

A) Unless you and your children are interacting with his bodily fluids, or anyone else showing symptoms...you're fine. You can only get it from direct contact by someone who is symptomatic.

B) Our medical care in the US is about 2387575837465901 times better than the medical care in Africa where this virus is a serious epidemic. It is easily contained here, whereas the poor people in Africa have no choice but to wait it out and hope they don't die from it.

Thats what they thought in spain........

My OH has just come back from EG, via Nigeria. He is well but still paranoid that those sharing the plane with him might not have been. Although the likely hood is very very slim as he has spent 3 weeks in a compound, and no one was ill.

Its when it mutates to being airbourne we will have a huge issue.

Yeah the Spain thing is scaring me. The nurse who contracted it was wearing full protective gear and yet she is ill and has given it to at least 2 others. Eurgh the news is like watching the start of a movie at the moment. Scary!!

Resident of big scary Africa here and still not in the slightest bit worried.

Agree. I won't be worried unless it mutates to airborne. Which isn't that likely at this point, as the virus is working just fine the way it is. Usually mutations are because the virus has stopped being effective at what it does, and needs a better way to infect. At this point, you'd have to be in direct contact with an ill person's body fluids. Not likely. Especially in the US where our medical care and containment are so much better than what they have available in the regions being effected.

I also heard on the news they are probably going to press charges against him for lying before his flight about being in contact with sick Ebola patients/bodily fluids, which has since come out.

Yes, just saw on the news he didn't make it.

Yeah the Spain thing is scaring me. The nurse who contracted it was wearing full protective gear and yet she is ill and has given it to at least 2 others. Eurgh the news is like watching the start of a movie at the moment. Scary!!
No, it does not appear she has given it to anyone else at this stage, no need to scaremonger.

That's what i heard on the news. I would never make stuff like that up! If its untrue then i apologise but my only source is an unreliable one ..the media.

there is so much misinformation about the spain ebola case going around this is getting people all worked up for nothing. People, before you cause yourself or others hysteria do some research. Look at where you're getting your news, PLEASE do not scaremonger others. In spain, it was NOT a nurse, it was a nursing assistant who was infected when she came into contact with bodily fluids while cleaning up the body of a priest who died. That priest traveled from Sierra Leone to Spain. A deceased ebola patient is highly infelicitous and should NOT have been left to a nursing assistant, IMO they should be taken care of by specialized personal only to avoid cases like these. Ebola is not airborne and it may never become so, like pp said, they only mutate in certain conditions.

That's what i heard on the news. I would never make stuff like that up! If its untrue then i apologise but my only source is an unreliable one ..the media.

It may be what you thought you heard but I would be shocked if any reputable media outlet would make an error of that scale.

Not to say that the media don't sometimes get it wrong, but if that nurse had infected two other people, it would be the biggest breaking story in the world right now. Lead story on every channel and newspaper. What station were you watching/listening to? If they got that wrong, they will be being raked over the coals by their competitors right now.

It may be what you thought you heard but I would be shocked if any reputable media outlet would make an error of that scale.

Not to say that the media don't sometimes get it wrong, but if that nurse had infected two other people, it would be the biggest breaking story in the world right now. Lead story on every channel and newspaper. What station were you watching/listening to? If they got that wrong, they will be being raked over the coals by their competitors right now.

Agree. As far as I've seen in the news/read in the news, any case that's been diagnosed outside of Africa thus far has been isolated, and contained. And those cases are in the news a LOT with daily updates on how those patients are doing. If it were to have spread to anyone else, that would be ALL the news were to talk about.

Maybe it's just me but even though its a small chance, why are we leaving it open to chance? Why are we giving this pathogen more learning opportunities? It's bad enough it has been allowed to fester so badly in Africa. I really wish they would start a travel ban from the most effected areas. We need to get this under control, not be letting it call the shots.
Apparently there was a Japanese tourist who is now being treated in India? Way too many borders.

And I don't even wanna start on the possibility of becoming air borne..think I would start digging a freakin hole in my yard if that was the case.

My feelings go out to you, OP. I ordered something on eBay and it shipped from Dallas..it's sitting on my deck still as I don't have the courage to open it. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac though.

The BBC had it as one of their headlines online yesterday "3 Ebola cases in Spain" which after the news about the nurse (or assistant) made it very much sound like it was spreading, I didn't click on it so either the article was wrong or it was deliberately misleading so I can see why some people here thought it was worse than it is, I don't think Aimee needs to be picked on I would hardly say she was scaremongering!

It must be scarier if it is in your home town, it felt a bit eerie hearing the C-17 land bringing the Ebola patient to the UK (not helped by us watching Walking Dead at the time!) but it doesn't worry me given what our abilities for sanitation and quarantining are, life's too short to worry about the what ifs, there's a lot more scary things around much more likely to happen but life would be rubbish to worry all day, definitely the media exasperating everything.

Maybe it's just me but even though its a small chance, why are we leaving it open to chance? Why are we giving this pathogen more learning opportunities? It's bad enough it has been allowed to fester so badly in Africa. I really wish they would start a travel ban from the most effected areas. We need to get this under control, not be letting it call the shots.
Apparently there was a Japanese tourist who is now being treated in India? Way too many borders.

And I don't even wanna start on the possibility of becoming air borne..think I would start digging a freakin hole in my yard if that was the case.

My feelings go out to you, OP. I ordered something on eBay and it shipped from Dallas..it's sitting on my deck still as I don't have the courage to open it. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac though.

I agree with you Desi... I thunk any traveling between infected areas and non infected areas should be banned.... They should try to contain it as much as possible. About digging the hole....Im with you... Lol Im in California, but hearing about all these deaths is very scary.... And how many others will lie just so they can fly home? Nine of that sits well with me.. And dead bodies of ebola people are more infectious than when alive? Or did I mis read that?

I just googled the man who passed away...

No offense, but it's an outrage that his family wants to examine the treatment that he was given. That they sent him home on sept 25, and they wonder if he would have survived had they admitted him right away...

Now that may very well be, but HE LIED HIS WAY TO THE US...
How is it the hospitals fault that they didnt give care to their standards. He had an obligation to himself, his family, and all of the people he is coming in contact with the be upfront and honest about his interactions with this deadly illness...

I just googled the man who passed away...

No offense, but it's an outrage that his family wants to examine the treatment that he was given. That they sent him home on sept 25, and they wonder if he would have survived had they admitted him right away...

Now that may very well be, but HE LIED HIS WAY TO THE US...
How is it the hospitals fault that they didnt give care to their standards. He had an obligation to himself, his family, and all of the people he is coming in contact with the be upfront and honest about his interactions with this deadly illness...

I am pretty ticked about the lying to get into the country knowing he had been in contact with Ebola, but I Do think the hospital dropped the ball a bit by sending him home on his first visit. They have since acknowledged that he did state he had recently travelled from West Africa, and it just wasn't picked up on correctly that first visit. But then, I think no one ever truly expected it to come to US soil either, aside from flying back our own sick missionaries to treat them. It was a tough situation the whole away around, but I think for sure every hospital will be doing a much more thorough background questionnaire as a standard entry for that possibility.

ETA: I know the hospital I work at has had employee meetings as a response to this, discussing the importance of asking travel questions, etc, now more than ever before in case something like this reaches us.

In Spain they are thinking she took her protective gear off wrongly and infected herself. It's actually very hard to do properly. That case will put other countries on high alert and it's like going on a plane after a crash, it's probably safer. There are also rumours that they were using category 2 rather than 4 equipment though I don't think that's confirmed.

I don't think closing borders is practical, a lot of them are arbitrary based on old colonies so there is no actual fence as such. Plus it would mean all medical and aid staff who deliver help would be stuck there. Every delivery of medicine would trap staff and equipment leading to them stopping.

Yeah, I don't think closing borders would work either. There are far too many medical teams travelling to and from there at the moment treating patients, and medical supplies coming to and from there...YOu can't just abandon those people there because they happen to be in an area with an epidemic.

Was just watching the news this morning on my break, and it looks like they are going to start working on better airport screening of people on flights coming/going from those areas especially. Its not foolproof, but its better than what they are currently doing, which is just asking people if they've been in contact with sick people, and then they can just lie about it. At least a quick health screen will make sure they aren't sick enough to possibly infect other people on the flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->