I might have to stop nursing for a week

Leanna5813

Reaction score
I've been prescribed an antibiotic that will knock out two infections that I have at the same time, rather than have me be on two seperate meds. The only problem is my dr said its okay to bf on and the pharmacist said its not. The antibiotic is cephalexin. Apparently not enough data has been gathered to deem it safe or unsafe. I've been told by pharmacist not to breastfeed during the week I'm on it. My son just started solids so I can feed him like that and just pump this week, but I'm wondering if he will also need liquids. I was advised that after 8 hours the medicine is out of my milk, so maybe I could feed him right before and then 8 hours after I take it and just feed him solids in between.

I'm so worried and confused on what to do. Should I supplement with formula this week or just give him solids? I don't have any stored milk because my supply is too low to feed him and also pump a lot.

Ask for a different antibiotic . Chances are a week of just pumping will kill your supply and alps you baby still needs breastmilk not just solids .

You could ask for another antibiotic, but I wouldn't bother. I'm not sure why your pharmacist has said that, but fwiw, my 9 month old has been on cephalexin daily since she was about 2 months old for kidney reflux. The amount that would be in the breastmilk should be much lower than what she's taking and I've never been told there were any real possible issues.

Also, a week of not feeding for that long would be really rough on your supply and your baby does need milk.

I was on that with my first for mastitis, and with my second baby for a bladder infection I got from the catheter after birth. I bf both babies while on it..... They were fine. Not sure what you're comfortable doing, but it was fine by my dr. If your dr says one thing and the pharmacist says another, call your pediatrician to see if they think its safe for baby. Good luck to you and hope you get better quickly!

I ended up calling the birthing center at the hospital and they said it was safe. So I've been on it and breastfeeding and everything is fine besides a little gas in the baby. I don't know why my pharmacist said its dangerous! I guess I shouldn't trust them lol

I am n cephalexin and have taken it with no ill effects previously. I have allergies to many others. This might help you decide

https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/dibm/antibiotics_and_Breastfeeding_oct_2013- wj.pdf

Sorry meant to add, the breastfeeding network note it as safe. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->