I need some advice about sleeping!!

AC81

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
Erin is 4 weeks old now, and when she was about 2weeks old she got a cold. Being new at this motherhood thing I was freaked out that she couldn't sleep because she was sooo blocked up, so for a few nights I nursed her to sleep in my arms in bed with me, so she was upright and it seemed to help her breathing and help her settle. This went on for about a week or so and now, yes you guessed it, she will only sleep if she's in my arms at night - where she stays for the whole night. My hubby has had to move downstairs because he's worried out her being in bed with us (although she is in my arms all night, and I'm a pro now at sleeping in an almost upright position).

Problem is I don't know how to reverse what I've done! Her daytime naps are also now affected and she needs to be held to go to sleep. It seems that the second we put her down in her cot, after she has fallen asleep, her little eyes flick open and she knows she's been let go and she's no longer on me. It's also not helped by the fact that when I'm feeding her at night I more often that not nod off with her on the breast and wake up several hours later with her still there.

We're torn as to whether we let her cry it out in her cot (not what I want to do) or to reassure her everytime she cries, then put her back down as soon as she's settled and repeat the process for however many nights it taks. I kinda want to crack this thing before it gets too far down the line and she is older, plus I miss hubby being in bed next to me (I also miss lying down to go to sleep). I feel so guilty because its my fault she's doing this, and before her cold she was sleeping ok-ish in her cot.

sorry for the long rant, I hope someone can offer some advice. I'm getting really down about this :cry: - on top of which I got a lecture from the health visitor about the dangers of her sleeping on me.

I don't think it's recommended to try crying it out for at least a few more months. I would just try nursing her to sleep and then laying her in her cot, even if she wakes right up. It might take a few nights but be consistent and always lay her back down in the cot when she's back asleep. You could also try sitting in a different room when you're nursing so you don't fell asleep.

I know it helped my lo to have a mattress that beats like a heartbeat in her moses basket that she slept in at night. It wasn't until I bought that that she would sleep anywhere but in my arms or her bouncy chair. I got mine at blooming marvelous. I can't remember what it's called anymore.

Don't worry, it will get better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->