I need some weaning help! Clueless!

sweetsammi

1st time mummy and WTT
Reaction score
We started giving Oliver abit of baby rice after his lunch time feed (Hv recommendation) He's been doing really well with the spoon!

Anyway i know that for now after his feed, i can give him a teaspoon of rice mixed with 20ml of his feed once a day...But then what? Does he still continue to have the same feeds as he did before as well as the mini meal? (He takes 6oz 5 times a day)

Also do i always need to give him his feed with every mini meal i give him? Or is that just when you first start? Hope some of this makes sence! Im all confused! :wacko: Obviousilly i know that milk will always make up the most of his diet till he's one.. but i have no idea how many feeds or much i should give him now we've started weaning. And it seems alot to give him a meal AND a bottle at one time, suerly i wont always do this.x

Here is a good weaning chart :)

https://www.hipp.co.uk/weaningchart/

Everyone weans differently but from now untill 6 months i give milk first then the added baby rice/food, that way baby is getting the all the milk he/she needs as its still very important

but from 6 months plus, i give food first then milk, that way baby will only take what he/she needs as a top up, the more food you give the less milk the baby will drink.....thats how its worked for me anyway.

x

Right HELP me now lol

You girls are giving baby rice before 6 months? Both of you now?

Should I be? :wacko:

Here is a good weaning chart :)

https://www.hipp.co.uk/weaningchart/

Everyone weans differently but from now untill 6 months i give milk first then the added baby rice/food, that way baby is getting the all the milk he/she needs as its still very important

but from 6 months plus, i give food first then milk, that way baby will only take what he/she needs as a top up, the more food you give the less milk the baby will drink.....thats how its worked for me anyway.

x

Thanks! Thats really helpful! :) Its so confusing, everything is telling me different. I was told to wait a couple of weeks, then give a second meal..then a tghird meal 2weeks after that! I guess it all depends on the baby and how much he's willing to take. I was just worried cus i'm still giviNG Oliver 6oz every 4 hours on top of his babyrice (and i think he'd have more if i let him!) And alot of websites say to only give up to 600ml milk a day during weaning..Oliver has 850ml lol. But the chart u sent me says to carry on as normal..i like that one-makes me feel like i'm doing something right! lol. x

Right HELP me now lol

You girls are giving baby rice before 6 months? Both of you now?

Should I be? :wacko:

LOL only cus Oliver started to wake up in the night, spends all day munching on his fist and wants his feed like an hour earlier..yet when we offer him an extra ounce he isnt interested! Plus we started having probs with reflux again so we figured it would make all our lives easier this way, Oliver more comfortable. :) No rush wobbles. x

best to let baby tell you when he/she is ready, try not to listen to much to other people coz every baby is different, im glad my HV did say she thougt he could go on baby rice tho, made me feel better about thinking it myself this early lol

This is what im doing...

Adam had 6oz every 2 to 2 and a half hours, and as of this afternoon, he has 3 spoonfuls of baby rice on top of that.
I have just made bottles up for the next 24 hours and i made 5 bottles with 6oz water in and 1 bottle with 7oz of water in, so when i add the milk powder to teh 7oz one that extra oz will make up his baby rice, so he wont be loseing any of his normal amount of milk...does that make sence? lol its hard to explain. but basicly Adam is still have his full 6oz bottles and an extra oz to make up his rice (which is way to much but its easier to do it in oz for me)

Wobbles, if you think Caitlin is ready then go for it, but if she is still settled on the milk then hold off for a while, you know her best so you will know when she is telling you shes ready for something more than milk :)

x

Baby rice is given on spooh right? :blush:

I think she may be ready tbh I'd like to see her taking more as sometimes shes not taking her bottle just 3-4oz!

If she's not taking a full bottle then I wouldn't have thought she was ready. You'll know when it's time - honestly!

Tom was a milk feeding lunatic and screaming when there was no milk left in me. It happened really quickly too. At 4 weeks I was telling the HV we weren't ready to start weaning and within 2 weeks we were off on the baby rice.

best to let baby tell you when he/she is ready, try not to listen to much to other people coz every baby is different, im glad my HV did say she thougt he could go on baby rice tho, made me feel better about thinking it myself this early lol

This is what im doing...

Adam had 6oz every 2 to 2 and a half hours, and as of this afternoon, he has 3 spoonfuls of baby rice on top of that.
I have just made bottles up for the next 24 hours and i made 5 bottles with 6oz water in and 1 bottle with 7oz of water in, so when i add the milk powder to teh 7oz one that extra oz will make up his baby rice, so he wont be loseing any of his normal amount of milk...does that make sence? lol its hard to explain. but basicly Adam is still have his full 6oz bottles and an extra oz to make up his rice (which is way to much but its easier to do it in oz for me)

Wobbles, if you think Caitlin is ready then go for it, but if she is still settled on the milk then hold off for a while, you know her best so you will know when she is telling you shes ready for something more than milk :)

x

Yeah that just just like what i'm doing except Oliver isnt having a bottle as regular as Adam. Cheers hun x

Taking 7 mainly but seems to have 1 or 2 she won;t take as much. She seems to give up.

Baby rice is given on spooh right? :blush:

I think she may be ready tbh I'd like to see her taking more as sometimes shes not taking her bottle just 3-4oz!

Yeah baby rice is given by spoon, i just give Oliver a teaspoon of the rice with about half an ounce of his feed, mix it up in a bowl. I gave him some heinz fruit and yogurt earlier...he loves it! He's mastered the spoon already. :)

Wobbles, you say Caitlin is only sometimes takin 3-4oz, does she still seem hungry though even though she wont take any more formula? Cus thats how it started with Oliver, so yeah could be a sign she's nearly ready x

Im slightly confused now after reading this. Olivia has 7oz bottles every 3-4 hours and wolfs it down sometimes. I dont think Olivia is ready to be weaned and I want to wait until she is 17weeks at least... I personally think she dosent need any thing else at the mo but does this sound llike alot of milk intake in one day?

do what you feel is right Stef, you will know when shes ready for more or not.

I started Adam on baby rice, only 3 spoonfuls a day, but today i havent had to give him any coz he has been find on his milk, they can change from day to day, you just have to let them lead you :)

x

If u dont feel she is ready stef, its likely she isnt, u know best hun. x

Yeah baby rice is given by spoon, i just give Oliver a teaspoon of the rice with about half an ounce of his feed, mix it up in a bowl. I gave him some heinz fruit and yogurt earlier...he loves it! He's mastered the spoon already. :)

Wobbles, you say Caitlin is only sometimes takin 3-4oz, does she still seem hungry though even though she wont take any more formula? Cus thats how it started with Oliver, so yeah could be a sign she's nearly ready x
Sometimes I think so yer

Its like she gives up bothering lol IMO always been a bit of a lazy sucker :lol:

how is Oliver getting on Sami?

I havent had to give Adam anymore, he only had a couple of spoonfuls once a day for 2 days then really chilled out, hes not crying for feeds and is going every 3 hours again, so im keeping him on milk for a while longer

x

Hi Layla, he's doing really well thanks. Gave him some apple puree, brocoli and potato and some baby yogurt and he loves it all. At the min he's takin 6oz 5 times a day and has about 4teaspoons of solids after his lunchtime feed. I can't seem to get it in his mouth quick enough lol. He's mastered the spoon! My gp gave me some nice recipes so thats helpful! I'm glad Adam has settled down with his feeds now hun. Do u think perhaps he had a wee growth spurt or something? Oliver has stayed at 14lbs for the past 3weeks so i think we did the right thing in weaning him, especially with him havin reflux. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->