I realised it's not lack of confidence..

nightkd

Mum to two!
Reaction score
I've recently realised that it's not confidence I lack. It's knowing what to say. Like if I'm in a situation where I KNOW what I need the outcome to be and KNOW exactly what I need to convey I'm absolutely fine. I can talk to strangers etc. It's just I'm sh*t scared of getting into conversations because I always end up really embarassed because I've got like....a mental block of what to reply with.

It makes me soooo frustrated and it makes me avoid situations where I DO need to talk to people, or MIGHT end up in a conversation.

Yeah, I do lack self esteem from certains occurences in my younger years and teens. That's improving. I still don't feel comfortable exercising in front of people incase I look unfit/stupid/ugly - that sort of thing. But my main barrier is this inability to think of things to say.

I love performing, singing etc on stage (though do get in a panic) it gives me a massive boost of confidence! Conversations though, another story altogether.

I don't know what to do. I mean...what CAN I do?

It's making my life really dull and causing me to miss out on things I really want to do, so I regret things. I LOVE talking to people, but I just....can't. :hissy:

I'm kind of the same, i have a phobia of making phone calls and have to rehearse what i wanted to say. All i can say is try to tackle it head on. That's what i did and i'm getting better xx

:hugs: I know how you feel hun, I am exactly the same and there is absolutely nothing I can think of to do about it!! If you think of something let me know! :)

I'm kind of the same, i have a phobia of making phone calls and have to rehearse what i wanted to say. All i can say is try to tackle it head on. That's what i did and i'm getting better xx

I thought it was just me that suffered with that!!! I hate making phone calls, I am a sissy, I would rather email or anything, i just hate using the phone, but as soon as I am on the phone talking, it doesnt bother me!! I think it might just be cos i'm weird!!

xxx

Im exactly the same hun. But i also have a speech block where i physically cant say a word. Its so embarassing! I can talk fluently if im talking to my baby or a dog or whatever but when it comes to conversations with people its awful! xxxx

Hi Girls

I know exactly how you feel. I have a job where I need to know the law and I get really worried about speaking to people as you have to speak to them, I get panicky about being shouted at - I have got confidence issues which started when I was little due to my Dad.

I get stressed really easily and everything just goes round in circles. I have tried rescue remendies, herb stuff and none of it works.

I have just had Hypnosis (Monday night) and I can see a change in myself already - its worth thinking about.

Wow, I'm so glad it's not just me! I just feel so helpless.. I really want to be able to converse with people, but I find myself shying away from conversations, or stopping myself from saying something incase it sounds stupid.

I've thought about hypnotherapy, was going to get a CD off of a website I found, but didn't quite know which one to get, none seemed specific enough for my issue.. :(

I think mine might stem from my mum bullying me all through my teenage years, probably before, but I don't remember so well... I've always had pretty lousy confidence, but it seems specifically to be this one thing! If I'm in a situation I'm comfortable in, with people who know me for who I am, I'm absolutely fine. Loud, bossy :blush: and just generally more outgoing.... I just can't think of things when it's people I don't know, incase I look like an idiot. :(

xxx

I rehearse over and over again and even ask my mum if it sounds alright etc. =/ Once I've made a call (as long as it goes right) I'm absolutely fine...still nervous, but feel much better about making more calls.

xx

Wow, I'm so glad it's not just me! I just feel so helpless.. I really want to be able to converse with people, but I find myself shying away from conversations, or stopping myself from saying something incase it sounds stupid.

I've thought about hypnotherapy, was going to get a CD off of a website I found, but didn't quite know which one to get, none seemed specific enough for my issue.. :(

I think mine might stem from my mum bullying me all through my teenage years, probably before, but I don't remember so well... I've always had pretty lousy confidence, but it seems specifically to be this one thing! If I'm in a situation I'm comfortable in, with people who know me for who I am, I'm absolutely fine. Loud, bossy :blush: and just generally more outgoing.... I just can't think of things when it's people I don't know, incase I look like an idiot. :(

xxx

I know exactly how you feel - down to the parent thing :hug:

Im exactly the same girls and im fine talking to hubby, kids family but when it comes to getting to know someone new im terrible! Iwish there was a book or somthing i could read to help me out, i swear its why i am a billy no mates!

I can relate. I'm also aware that my inability to idilly chit chat with strangers makes me look stand offish & just knowing that only serves to make my head go blank all the more.
Cant understand it, I'm not shy in the least!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->