I shouldnt really be worried, right?

emicakess

Reaction score
Everyone told me before my ultrasound last night that 5+3 is usually too early to see a heartbeat so dont worry if I dont see one. Then today at my OB appointment she told me I wont get another ultrasound until 12 weeks. She then went to look at the ultrasound pictures and she abruptly came through the door back into the room and said "you need another scan in 2 weeks". She said its because she doesnt see a fetal pull and explained to me what a blighted ovum is. This really freaked me out!! I asked her if everything is okay and she didnt really answer me. Now I am worried if I should have seen a baby in the gestational sac, because all we saw was a yolk sac in there. Thats normal isnt it???

I wish I had some advise, but you are def in my prayers!

Please try not to worry too much. At 5 weeks pregnant, its hard to pick up a HB or baby on the scan. But I'm sure by 7/8weeks pregnant you will be!

Try to think positive thoughts:hugs:

We didn't see a fetal poll till 6 weeks and we also seen the heart beat. At 5 plus 3 I think it was, we only see the yolk sac and its like a tiny circle in the gestation sac, when you're further along you'll see a tiny blob next to the sac.
I'm sure everything is fine :)
Ps you generally won't see a heart beat until 6+ weeks because it doesn't start beating until then.

Thank you.. I am so mad at my OB for freaking me out! The ultrasound tech was acting like everything was fine!

At 5+3 (if you had a ''typical'' ovulation and implantation), you can expect to see the yolk sac and maybe if you're lucky the very beginning of a fetal pole (although most women won't), but def. no heartbeat!!

Thank you melfy thats what I thought, I am a little nervous now though! I wish I was having a stress free pregnancy :/ we did see a yolk sac so thats good right?

Thank you melfy thats what I thought, I am a little nervous now though! I wish I was having a stress free pregnancy :/ we did see a yolk sac so thats good right?

Very good:winkwink:

I had a scan at 5+5 that showed an empty sac (no yolk sac let alone fetal pole), bub was there at 8+6 :)

I had the EXACT same experience! Went in early, only saw the sac and no fetal pole. Cried on my way home because I was so upset. Went back two weeks later like they recommended and there was a little baby with a strong heartbeat! Try to stay positive! 5 weeks and 3 days is still so early!

Hey sweetie they saw an empty sac until 6 weeks 2 days with me. I had several scans leading up to a visit with my family at the end of October with only a sac seen. I was so freaked out because my doctor phoned me as soon as my plane landed in Chicago to insist I get an emergency scan before I fly back home!

I got two scans while trying to visit with family (staying with sister expecting her third:dohh:) and their office labeled my paperwork as probably ectopic...good times.....again!

I got back home to Florida and got a scan the next day and there was the nugget (6 weeks 2 days) and even what we thought was the heartbeat. :baby:

I know this isn't the case for everyone but one thing is certain, it is early to "expect" a fetal pole. Hang in there and know a lot of us were in your shoes and have wiggling nuggets in there lol.

Try not to worry. I had the exact same thing a few days ago. They didn't even really want to call the blob on the screen a gestational sack without seeing a fetal pole. Freaked me out, but I ovulated late and am barely even 5 weeks, so I'm trying to keep the faith. I return for another u/s in 10 days, so fingers crossed they can see something then.

Gosh, I thought the stress ended with a BFP. That's just the beginning!

Yolk sac = great news. Generally, if there is no fetal pole, there will be no yolk sac either. I had a scan at 6+1 and saw gest and yolk sac, and no fetal pole. The fetal pole we couldn't see then is now an 11 month old girl dancing to Michael Jacksons blame it on the boogie in the next room :haha:

Good luck!

xo

Try not to worry. I had the exact same thing a few days ago. They didn't even really want to call the blob on the screen a gestational sack without seeing a fetal pole. Freaked me out, but I ovulated late and am barely even 5 weeks, so I'm trying to keep the faith. I return for another u/s in 10 days, so fingers crossed they can see something then.

Gosh, I thought the stress ended with a BFP. That's just the beginning!
Omg I know what you mean! I didnt know I was going to be so worried, but I think it has something to do with having a mc before. I am not like super worried but I am going to have a little bit of anxiety in the back of my mind until I see that heartbeat , and my next ultrasound isnt for two weeks!!!

Hey sweetie they saw an empty sac until 6 weeks 2 days with me. I had several scans leading up to a visit with my family at the end of October with only a sac seen. I was so freaked out because my doctor phoned me as soon as my plane landed in Chicago to insist I get an emergency scan before I fly back home!

I got two scans while trying to visit with family (staying with sister expecting her third:dohh:) and their office labeled my paperwork as probably ectopic...good times.....again!

I got back home to Florida and got a scan the next day and there was the nugget (6 weeks 2 days) and even what we thought was the heartbeat. :baby:

I know this isn't the case for everyone but one thing is certain, it is early to "expect" a fetal pole. Hang in there and know a lot of us were in your shoes and have wiggling nuggets in there lol.

Geez louise you poor thing!!! The things we go through for our little nuggets, huh?! Lol I am glad everything turned out okay, I guess the doctor was being uber paranoid!

THANK YOU Everyone for the encouraging stories!!! I love this forum, its much better than searching endlessly through google lol

Hi there,

I echo everyone else's sentiments, that it is far too early to see the fetal pole at 5+3. I had lots of early scans with my son. At 5+0 we saw a small gestational sac. At 5+3 we saw a bigger gestational sac with a small ring inside it, this was the yolk sac. Later at 7+1 we saw the fetal pole and saw the heart beating inside it. I wouldn't worry, it is too early. I'm surprised your doctor started talking to you about blighted ovums this early!

I've attached a picture I found on google showing the stages of human embryonic development. Week 5 is around stage 10. The embryo is just a tiny little thing attached to the much larger yolk sac. It's not surprising they don't usually see them this early.

Hope your next scan goes well!

x

Attachments

• carnegie_stages.jpg
    carnegie_stages.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 18
Thx Squirrel! I was very suprised at my doctor for talking about blighted ovums already, I suppose its because of my brown spotting but that kind of discouraging could have waited until we have more info, couldnt it?? I thought it was a little unprofessional to scare me like that for almost no reason!

Thank you for the picture that helps :)

I know several people have said the same thing but with my first pregnancy I had an early ultrasound at 6 weeks and all they saw was the sac, my doctor was amazing and wasn't worried at all, she had me back two weeks later and sure enough a strong HB, that little sac is now a 3 year old boy. Please don't worry yourself over it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->