I think I'm having a giant!

Thanks ladies!!

Mizzy I saw the chart on the midwives last night too! I definitely don't have one of them. Could it be my area does things differently?

JL, long time no speak! How are you getting on? :flow: thanks for the info! Will it be a planned section earlier than 40 weeks? I'm terrified of a section but I have a feeling it may happen. At least bubs is in position! I hope he comes a little earlier for you and hopefully not a giant :haha: at my private scan he was head down, has been since 20 weeks. I kept laughing saying he knows what he's doing and ready to come out!

Kirst thanks for your experience! Please keep me up to date with that's happening :) your story about your friend is reassuring! Can't believe how off they can be with the weight. I so hope my measurements are off cos I don't think I have much room left if his legs keep growing :dohh:

It definitely is scary how wrong they can be with weight but what about measurements? I just picture myself having to cut the feet off his baby grows to fit his legs in :haha:

And do you ladies think there's a chance of someone going early if their baby is big?

You can buy footless baby gros and sleep suits - something we are now looking into as Imogen has her daddies long legs and big feet so doesn't fit in newborn or 1month but 0-3 are still a touch big. Ironic as I hate trussed up babies and said I was just gonna keep her in sleep suits for comfort - and now what fits her best is dressed and tights!! Doh! Try boots, pumpkin patch and the white company.

As for the charts I never had mine filled in. There are some centile charts on the ultrasound printouts and that's all I had - nothing to suspect I was going to produce this little chunk!

Bunny boo- I've wondered about going into labour early as bub is big too. I'm not too sure of the answer but I do know that my mum gave birth to 3 kids- all 2-4 weeks early and all 8 pounders. Maybe I'm just wishful thinking? Xxx if our lo is healthy and ready then I'd love to meet her a bit earlier :)

You can buy footless baby gros and sleep suits - something we are now looking into as Imogen has her daddies long legs and big feet so doesn't fit in newborn or 1month but 0-3 are still a touch big. Ironic as I hate trussed up babies and said I was just gonna keep her in sleep suits for comfort - and now what fits her best is dressed and tights!! Doh! Try boots, pumpkin patch and the white company.

As for the charts I never had mine filled in. There are some centile charts on the ultrasound printouts and that's all I had - nothing to suspect I was going to produce this little chunk!

I think I'm going to have to rethink my clothing plan if he has giant legs! :haha: will need to stock up on socks too! Will definitely have a look for footless baby grows :D

Bunny boo- I've wondered about going into labour early as bub is big too. I'm not too sure of the answer but I do know that my mum gave birth to 3 kids- all 2-4 weeks early and all 8 pounders. Maybe I'm just wishful thinking? Xxx if our lo is healthy and ready then I'd love to meet her a bit earlier :)

I'd love him here a bit earlier if he was healthy! :D does the NHS ever induce for bigger babies? Would rather that than a csection!

Bunny - I'm not sure about they would plan a section early if bubs kept growing or if they would let me get to 40 weeks. I'm like you and am scared of a section - I'd way rather go naturally! Now I'm just kind of waiting to see what will happen - I hate not knowing! I'm not really sure why my doc thinks I'll go early (maybe a combination of bub's size and position? But from what I've read that doesn't always mean anything). Who knows? These babies kind of do whatever they want! :haha: I do know that I feel like I'm symptom spotting for labour as bad as I was for that bfp when I was ttc all those months ago!! :rofl: :dohh:

what made me panic was being told that they dont induce for big babies not even if I go over my due date!! I couldnt believe it I just assumed they would if baby was getting really big and I was over 40 wks! so all I can think is if they are saying mine will be 10lb at 40 wks, what will she be if I go over! arghhhhhh!

Bunny - I'm not sure about they would plan a section early if bubs kept growing or if they would let me get to 40 weeks. I'm like you and am scared of a section - I'd way rather go naturally! Now I'm just kind of waiting to see what will happen - I hate not knowing! I'm not really sure why my doc thinks I'll go early (maybe a combination of bub's size and position? But from what I've read that doesn't always mean anything). Who knows? These babies kind of do whatever they want! :haha: I do know that I feel like I'm symptom spotting for labour as bad as I was for that bfp when I was ttc all those months ago!! :rofl: :dohh:

I hate not knowing too! From my wee ones position it feels like he could come now :haha: sooo low down and head butting my foo foo :blush: Thats what worries me cos surely he is running out of space in there with his giant belly and legs! I'm dreading the symptom spotting for labour cos ttc was horrendous! :haha:

what made me panic was being told that they dont induce for big babies not even if I go over my due date!! I couldnt believe it I just assumed they would if baby was getting really big and I was over 40 wks! so all I can think is if they are saying mine will be 10lb at 40 wks, what will she be if I go over! arghhhhhh!

I'm worried I'll get told they won't induce either :( cos I dont want to go overdue and he is so big he won't fit out and gets stuck and it has to be a section. Plus i'd rather have a planned section to an emergency but would love to avoid both!

Hi ladies,
I'm just wondering if any of you have had any updates / changes to your "big baby" situations? I have my appt with my OB tomorrow and I know we're going to have a "talk" about options (early induction vs planned c section vs natural) and I'm suddenly really scared about what the doc might say. I know they had concerns about shoulder dystocia (which sounds terrifying) and I did probably the worst thing ever and started looking up stuff online and (of course) found a bunch of horror stories about the baby going into fetal distress all the scary risks of inductions and c sections, and now I'm TERRIFIED. Bah! Why do I do this to myself?? :dohh:

I was told Sophie was going to be huge...like over 10lbs at 40 weeks. Agonised over it. Chose a planned c-section. She wasn't huge at all! 49cm and (chubby but not big) 7lbs 15oz. She just seemed so TINY, I had these newborn sized clothes for her that were hanging off her.

Her head circumference was measured at 36cm at 34 weeks, it was 34cm at 39+2 when she was born. So that was off. Her belly was 90th percentile in scans, and only 60th at birth.

So much for the giant baby!

I would always opt for at least trying the natural birth first, if I could go back and change things. I had an emergency section with my son (he was 7lbs 4oz and I didn't dilate past 4cm) and to be honest the recovery from that was easier than the planned one with Sophie. And the hours I did get to labour with him were an amazing experience that I was always treasure.

JL - had my consultant appt yesterday and feel slightly disappointed. She just kept repeating how they are not worried about big babies, only small ones and kept repeating how method of delivery would not change so a section is out of the question. To which I was obv relieved as I want a natural birth! But the way she was going on it was like she thought I was only there to try and get out of a natural birth which is far from true! She tried to talk me out of wanting a growth scan but I was having none of it because at the end of day I only know baby is big due to private scans which obv isn't in any of my notes. I want it in my notes so when it's time to give birth they are aware he may be big. I'll hear soon about what there decision is on a scan.

Sorry for the rant! Just get quite angry! :haha: I'm terrified of his shoulders gettin stuck too and read online as well... :dohh: I just personally feel like they don't care and think I'm daft for being worried..

Minties - thanks for your experience! That's why I don't want a planned section because they can clearly be so wrong! I'm just worried he is as big as they say and just because they don't believe big babies are an issue they can have problems during labour. Is it too much to ask that they keep and eye on his size so they are prepared for his birth? They may see babies born everyday and see it as a job but this is my baby and I'm not letting them get it wrong! I suppose it also depends on where you live as to how they deal with bigger babies

Thanks for sharing minties - like Bunny, I feel the same way about wanting to avoid a c section for that very reason!

Bunny - I'm sorry your mw seems to brushing you off :hugs: I agree that a natural birth is great, but you're absolutely right that size is something they should be aware of in case it does cause any unexpected complications. I'm glad you're pushing for the growth ultrasound - don't let them talk you out of it!!

Afm - I had my appt this morning and am feeling somewhat better. I had a good talk with my doc and explained that I'd really like to have a natural birth if at all possible but that the prospect of the whole shoulder dystocia really scares me. My doc actually agrees that at this point, a natural birth would be best. They want to repeat the growth ultrasound next week and see how bubs is growing. My doc said that, generally, they always try to do a natural birth first as long as the baby is measuring under 11lbs - if the baby measures over that then they discuss other options but it still doesn't necessarily mean a section is best. We talked about possibility of early induction (and if it would be effective in preventing a future section - by getting the baby out before he got too big) but my doc actually feels like trying to induce at this point would actually increase my chance of a section because me feels my body isn't ready yet (cervix not favorable, etc). So now I'm back to playing the waiting game until next Wednesday when I have my second growth ultrasound. Hopefully bubs is less than 11lbs and I can just let my body do it's thing naturally!

JL - so glad your appt went well! That's the type of appt I wanted! I feel like I'm on my own fighting this battle against them :( OH was always on my side until the consultant appt as he said he's not worried anymore since the consultant isn't bothered. But I'm more skeptical than him, I don't trust my midwives so why should I trust the consultant? They aren't always right! I just don't see why they can't keep an eye on his size? That's all I'm asking which isn't much or too outrageous!

Hi Ladies, just want to let you know that its not always problematic to birth a big baby. My cousin gave birth on Tuesday to a bouncing baby boy weighing 11lb9oz and it was all natural. She wasnt measuring big so there were no suspicions or worries. I sometimes think that because of all the technology we have now, we worry a lot more. Hundreds of big babies are born larger than average with no problems at all. Try not to worry, I think if you go into labour panicking that your baby will be too big to push out and its all going to go wrong, thats when things can go wrong, because the baby can pick up on your stress. I know its easier said than done, but try to relax and not worry about it too much, what will be will be.

Hi all! Just want to join you on this very comforting thread... Hope we can support each other through the last few weeks :thumbup:

Brief history... after all my miscarriages I have been on heparin injections throughout the pregnancy and aspirin until last week then I developed Gestational diabetes too and have been controlling my diet to keep that in order. Had a growth scan yesterday and have been put on metformin for the diabetes as little Squig's growth is too much, too fast. My dr has said that we will make a decision at 38 weeks scan (in 2 weeks) but based on Squig's current head size it looks like a natural birth may be out of the question :cry:

So his 36 week scan details are:
Weight: 3.3kg (approx 7.25lbs - 38w2d)
Head circumference: 34 cm (39 w 4d)
Abdominal circumference: 33.8cm (37w5d)
Femur length: 7.07cm (36w 2d)

I have put on 9kg (20lbs) and am pretty short at 1.63m (5'3"). How much has everyone else gained and do you feel it's relative to baby's size?? Maybe he's just destined to be short and chubby like his mummy:shrug:

Try not to have too many scans, they can be detrimental to baby's health.

JL - had my consultant appt yesterday and feel slightly disappointed. She just kept repeating how they are not worried about big babies, only small ones and kept repeating how method of delivery would not change so a section is out of the question. To which I was obv relieved as I want a natural birth! But the way she was going on it was like she thought I was only there to try and get out of a natural birth which is far from true! She tried to talk me out of wanting a growth scan but I was having none of it because at the end of day I only know baby is big due to private scans which obv isn't in any of my notes. I want it in my notes so when it's time to give birth they are aware he may be big. I'll hear soon about what there decision is on a scan.

Sorry for the rant! Just get quite angry! :haha: I'm terrified of his shoulders gettin stuck too and read online as well... :dohh: I just personally feel like they don't care and think I'm daft for being worried..

Minties - thanks for your experience! That's why I don't want a planned section because they can clearly be so wrong! I'm just worried he is as big as they say and just because they don't believe big babies are an issue they can have problems during labour. Is it too much to ask that they keep and eye on his size so they are prepared for his birth? They may see babies born everyday and see it as a job but this is my baby and I'm not letting them get it wrong! I suppose it also depends on where you live as to how they deal with bigger babies

I had consultant appointment yesterday, was a complete waste of time! waited an hr and half to be seen for him to say we will try for natural otherwise it will end up with cesearean! I mean, No shit sherlock! He said they dont give option for induction or cesearean as they deliver big babies all the time, however if you have gestational diabetes thye look at it a bit different as it can cause bigger shoulders apparently which ive never heard of before. HAd a student doctor measure my belly, now im 35 weeks pregnant and he said im measured 41 weeks!! the doc observing didnt tell him he was wrong or measure himself so anyway when the student doc went he said to take no notice of his measurements! how unproffesional I say! he then wrote on my notes i measure 38 weeks....but he didnt even measure my belly! :shrug: so I left there feeling more unsure than before I went in! also why are they not giving you growth scan? im over 95th percentile are you over this I cant remember what you have said previously..oh actually I think you said you dont even have a weight graph in your notes? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->