I think my little cat is dying...

SoBlessedMama

Reaction score
I have a little Calico who is almost 16 years old. The past few months, she has shown signs of kidney troubles. Then this week she has been hiding under our bed and has drastically cut down what she's eating and drinking. Now today she hisses and growls if I try to pick her up or pet her. She let me scratch her head for about 5 minutes, and purred a little, but that was all.

I'm taking her to the vet in an hour and I'm devastated because I'm almost certain he will say she needs to be put to sleep. I know she's just a cat, but I love her, and she's been with me half my life. She has seen us bring both our boys home from the hospital, and has been a part of the family. She used to try and groom our oldest when he was a baby.

She's just the sweetest little cat, and I'm going to miss her so much. Maybe I will get unexpectedly good news at the vet. But I really don't think so.

I'd love so much for her to run in here and rub all over my feet like she does.

I'm not sure of the purpose of this thread--I guess I just needed to write all that down.

Just an update in case anyone happens to read this. She was in stage 4 renal failure. The vet was very kind and compassionate, and after sitting and talking with me extensively about what she was feeling/would likely feel, and how advanced the disease was, we made the decision to put her to sleep. I'm broken hearted, but she was calm and peaceful, and I was able to sit and hold her head and pet her as she passed. I love her and miss her, but I'm so thankful to know she's not hurting, and so blessed to have been able to have her in my life for so long.

I am so sorry for your loss. I really dont know what I would do if something happened to my baby girl. We got her when I was pregnant so shes older than our son and we got a second cat, a boy whos a year younger than her.

She is my princess and she is always there for me and has helped me through pnd to name one thing.

I am just so sorry but at least she is not in pain now. I hope she got a lovely send off. Sounds like she was a very loved member of your family and will be very missed. My thoughts are with you :hugs:

I'm so sorry for your loss. It doesn't sound silly at all! I grew up with my two cats, Molly and Polly. They were by my side from when I was born, to my 18th birthday! Then they were sadly put to sleep within a couple of months of eachother. It was heartbreaking. I still miss them very much now, they were a big part of the family. :hugs: to you hun! x

Awww, I'm so sorry, luv to hear your kitty has passed :hugs::hugs::hugs: I have 3 girls that I love so much, the oldest is 12. I think I'll be just devastated when it's her/their time :nope: What was her name?

Thank you so much, ladies. I appreciate your sweet words, and the fact that there are other fur mamas who understand. : )

Lilly, her name was Callie. (Yes, Callie the Calico lol, not very original.) My oldest son (5) called her Boss Cat. Lol that started because when he was a baby she used to try to groom him, and my hubby joked that she thought he was a bald cat. So the joke became "Boss Cat and Bald Cat" and when he got old enough to talk, it stuck. : )

I bawled like a baby all day Saturday, and I've cried a few times since then, but it's getting better. I keep expecting her to walk around all the corners in our house, though. I really do miss her. : (

Awww, so sweet! I hope you have tons of sweet memories like that and pictures. I'm sure the Boss is watching over you guys from the rainbow bridge! :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Sorry for your loss, SoBlessed :hugs: Losing a beloved pet is hard. I have 2 cats and the older one is 14 now, nearing old age.

I have four cats (yep I'm mad lol) but I'd be gutted if anything happened to them. :hugs: :hugs: hunny it's so hard loosing a pet they are apart of our families xxx

I am so sorry I know how it feels, I lost my dog 2 years ago just after xmas he was 15, I was 10 when I had him and he was the biggest part of my life. Even when I moved home to my own house he stayed at my mums as that's where he lived all his life, and sadly passed away of cancer. We have our own family dog now and he's amazing and when I look at him I remind myself of the good times I had with my little Tigger. It does get easier 💜

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->