I want to use Reusable nappies, but have *NO* idea where top start, or what I need!

flubdub

Reaction score
I would like to use reusable's. My partner isnt 100% keen as he knows how crap I am with washing! lol

Are there any brands you recommend? What do I need to buy? What do you put inside the actual "colourful" bit of the nappy?

If the baby does a poo, where do you rinse the poo off before you wash the nappy?

Do they need soaking, like Terry's nappies used to?

Will I need to buy lots of different sizes?

If you dont have a tumble drier, do the nappies feel 'rough' when they are dry? Like towels do.

On average, do they last a couple of hours, like disposables?

Can you get cheap ones, or is it a "get what you pay for" type thing? Would I be better off paying for a large pack of the from Babies R US etc?
:mrgreen: Thanks, I obviously dont have a clue.

when i finally took the plunge, i started off with a few different types, im still really new at it to be honest though
find what you like and go from there, personally, i like pocket nappies
but i have found that you get what you pay for tbh

I'm a newbie too but my friends are doing this. they're using bum genius v3 all in ones & I'm buying the v4 now that they're here! I have read lots of reviews on here & there's lots of info on the web. The only thing I can say is don't use conditioner as it effects the absorbency.

Im new to the whole reusable nappy thing, havnt even got my baby yet! But Ill try answer some questions for you :) (Ive been doing loads of research, its a bit sad lol)

Are there any brands you recommend? What do I need to buy? What do you put inside the actual "colourful" bit of the nappy?
As I havnt used them yet, I cant recommend any, but Ive heard fab things about Itti Bitti BUT I also get the impression its best to try a few and see which fits you and the baby best. Most nappies from what I know, have inserts in them, whether pop in (SIO) or pockets, so this would go inside the fluffy nappy bit or the wrap but you can get all in ones (AIO).

If the baby does a poo, where do you rinse the poo off before you wash the nappy?
I asked this the other day. You can get disposable liners to go in the nappy if you want, but apparently theyre only useful once the baby gets started on solids (and even then, fleece liners are apparently better). So many people either rinse the nappy quickly in the shower or just leave it, then do a rinse wash before doing the full proper wash.

Do they need soaking, like Terry's nappies used to?
I dont think they do need soaking. Just a pail to put them in and maybe you could put some scents in, just to keep it smelling pretty :)

When you start buying your nappies buy them for the size your baby will be once you start using them. I want to use them after a few weeks of her being born, so have brought small sizes. Of course, you can buy birth to potty (BTP) ones so theyll last for aaagggeess.

If you dont have a tumble drier, do the nappies feel 'rough' when they are dry? Like towels do.
Apparently not. I think alot of people dry them overnight on a clothes rail so they cant be that rough.

Depending on the make you use and whether your baby is a heavy wetter ect. But if you find a nappy that suits your baby really well, no reason why it cant last as long :)

Can you get cheap ones, or is it a "get what you pay for" type thing?
I think its a get what you pay for thing. I was a bit put off at first as they seemed so expensive, but you can search for bargins and also preloved nappies can be the way to go. Ive just got 2 preloved nappies for the price of one brand new one and theyre in perfect condition, you would think they were new :)

I hope thats maybe helped a little. Im still learning myself tbh, so couldnt answer them fantasticly, but its all so confusing thought Id try help!

My LO is almost 1, so I'll give you advice based on my own experience!

This depends on if you use an all in one (AIO) or a 2 part system ( a fitted nappy to absorb and a wrap to keep waterproof. When my LO was born he was in disposables for the first 3 weeks (I couldn't face the washing to start with!) but then he started going in fitteds (rainbow tots bots Bamboozles) with a wrap (motherease). I just put a paper liner in to catch the poo.

If the baby does a poo, where do you rinse the poo off before you wash the nappy? I use a paper liner which I just flush down the loo, but if the nappy got really pooey too I have a bucket in the bathroon and a pair of marigolds and I just hand rinse and then put the dirty water down the toilet.

Do they need soaking, like Terry's nappies used to? alot of newer nappies should NOT be soaked as it can ruin the elastic in them. But a simple terry square is ok to be soaked. Most people just dry pail. So just put the dirty nappies into a nappy bucket with a few drops of essential oil to keep it smelling fresh.

Some nappies are called Birth to Potty (BTP) and should last, but others are sized, so you'd have to buy small, medium and large. Personally I use sized ones as the BTP ones can be huge on small babies.

If you dont have a tumble drier, do the nappies feel 'rough' when they are dry? Like towels do. sometimes, but then again if you have a liner next to their skin (either a paper one or a fleece one) they are fine.

Yeah, but some nappies are more absorbant than others, so its a little trial and error. Bamboo are often more absorbant than microfibre, but then again they take longer to dry! You can always buy extra inserts to boost the amount of time.

Can you get cheap ones, or is it a "get what you pay for" type thing? Would I be better off paying for a large pack of the from Babies R US etc?
:mrgreen: Thanks, I obviously dont have a clue.

Mostly you pay for attractiveness! I shelled out £17.50 for a cute Bee nappy, which is the most I've ever paid, but now I'm paranoid about it getting stained!! My bamboozles, which I really recommend are about £9 each, then the wraps that go over the top are about £10 each, but you can reuse these. I've just ordered a few ebay cheapies from 97kgallery, they work out at about £6 each for pockets with inserts.
You can pick up bargains though on here and on Cloth Nappy Tree (CNT) and they also have a really good review section over there so you can read up on various nappies.

Hope that all helps! :thumbup:

Wow, thanks everyone for taking the time to write such detaied replies! Im really looking forward toi stocking up now! :thumbup:

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to reusables too.

Based on my limited experience so far, I would say try a few different types out and don't stock up on one type until you know you get on with them and they fit your baby.

I bought a couple of itti SIOs as they are gorgeous nappies, but I personally found that they took a long time to dry and my LO wet right out of the side of them. I've discovered that I don't really like poppers (but that is just personal preference as I know a lot of people prefer poppers).

My favourites are BumGenius - have been using v3s but just received my new v4s arrived today.

I've had no more leaks with reusables than I've had with disposables. I change him every feed time (3 hours) unless he has done a smelly before this.

I have a few for sale if you are interested. They have only been used a couple of times - PM me if you are interested. 1 cream medium itti, 1 blue BG Flip and 1 green small fuzzi bunz.

xx

Hiya, i'm going to give you a different opinion than the other girls, as I started a few weeks ago as my LO hit 11 months. I am on a very low income so couldn't afford to shell out £15-20 per nappy so I went on eBay and bought a lot of Chinese cheap pocket nappies.

For £175 I have managed to get 3 expensive nappies, 35 Chinese cheapies, fleece wipes & liners, wetbags and nappy buckets.

I find that my cheap ones are perfect for us, they are beautiful and can last my little girl around 3.5 hours each. When they are dirty I blast them with the shower, wet ones I just chuck in the bucket til washtime.

A lot of people I've found dismiss them as rubbish because they're cheap, but for £3-6 each it's worth trying them out

xx

I'm like you, want to use reusables but have no idea.

I found these guys https://www.babykind.co.uk/nappytrial.htm

who hire out kits with loads of diff types so you can try them all before you buy, think she offered me like 9 different styles to hire for 2 weeks, think it came to £19 (+ deposit which you get back)

really helpful in trying to decide!

Hi Hun,

We have some fab stickys on all the advice on whats available hun - its just buy nappy swap and sell etc :D

Thank you for this thread. Both me and DH have been reading through this part of the forum for ages!

Atleast we know now what were doing and cant wait to get started. Steve just suggested we pop out after lunch and buy some fluffys! :happydance:

Thank you all xxx :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->