Ideas for getting more formula into 10mo old!

Brz04

Reaction score
So our little guy has been taking less and less formula the past month or so and we were struggling to get the ideal minimum (I think?) of 24oz per day. He used to wake in the morning STARVING and would suck down an 8oz bottle right away then have 3 bottles during the day of 5-6oz then another 8oz at bedtime. So total of about 32-36oz per day typically. Now we are having trouble getting even 20oz in him per day!!! Is this ok/normal for his age?? When do they start only having milk for meals and when needed like a toddler so I can stop stressing about how much formula he's getting per day???? Also I should add that he LOVES solids and has 3 meals a day (one container baby food fruit/veg for breakfast and lunch and 1.5-2 containers at dinner plus a snack (half of a mushed up banana and some gerber puffs in between meals as needed too) and also drinks some water from a cup throughout the day (just small sips). Anyone think this isn't enough milk or have suggestions on how to fit more in? How many oz does your 10mo old drink per day?

I thought the recommended amount up to one once established on solids was 500-600ml (16-20oz). At least that's what my hv told me. My LO is fully eating now and has been for a while and there's no way she'd drink the amount of milk your LO was drinking. She typically takes 5-7oz at breakfast, 4-6oz mid afternoon and 5-7oz at bedtime with yoghurt and custard etc throughout the day. That's typically around 18oz per day but lately she's drinking less of her afternoon bottle as she has really taken to eating meat and more finger foods (wolfed down steak pie for dinner).

I'm just going with what she wants now as she's a good weight, perfectly healthy, eats well and sleeps through the night. Was there any particular reason you were worrying! Is your LO an ok weight etc?xx

I'd cut out one bottle? If he's eating well I wouldn't worry.

LO is nearly 11 months but for a few weeks now he's had 14oz a day! 7 when he wakes up 7 at bedtime. He literally won't have anymore. He has cows milk on his weetabix in the morning and has 2/3 yogurts a day and has a lot of cheese, either on food or cheese sticks as a snack. I make sure he has plenty of fruit & veg and if I think he's not had enough one day I give him some vitamin drops. I had to see the dr the other day and while I was there I asked her about it and she said her boys were the same, just try to make sure he drinks enough & eats enough. I also give him a sippy with 10oz water in and he'll drink it all throughout the day. Hope this puts your mind at rest a little :) x

My DD is 9 months and despite my best efforts has about 12oz a day. I make up the rest by including in food and yogs and cheese. I got really obsessed with my son and it made bottles times horrible as I was so stressed so I have gone with the flow with my daughter. She is gaining weight well (too well!) so Im just going with it x

Thanks ladies that makes me feel so much better! To the pp that asked about weight gain it seems that he is gaining just fine and sttn so I guess I need to stop worrying about it...easier said than done lol! We go to the dr for a check up in a few weeks so I will ask her to be sure! Also he has CMPI and cannot have dairy (he is on nutramigen formula) so I think that's part of why I keep pushing milk and stressing about it so much bc he can't have any other sources of dairy like yogurt, cheeses, etc!

I am always a little intrigued by the oz with FF, with BF you trust babies to take what they need, why can't we do the same with ff babies? My LO is bf so I have no idea how much milk she is taking in (probably a lot as she still feeds through the night) but she also downs at least 2 sippy cups of water a day and eats 3 good meals. I'm sure your LO is taking what he needs - dairy goods aren't the only sources of calcium so maybe up his intake of other sources if you are worried? Or can you use formula in his porridge /weetabix / breakfast of choice?

I'm surprised he's drinking what he is then! My LO was briefly given nutramigen to try as she had suspected cmpa (turned out to be just bad reflux which she's now overcome :happydance:) but she wouldn't touch the stuff and I don't blame her...the stink of it was horrific!! :haha:

Anyway, I went onto a fb page all about weaning support for cmpa babies and they give lots of advice on dairy free alternatives for yoghurt, cheese, milks and even ice cream and they are all fortified with calcium. You can also get calcium from other foods such as fortified cereal, baked beans (low salt and sugar ones available), most green veg, fish (especially tinned salmon) etc. if he's still gaining well despite being cmpi then I'd say he's getting enough - well done mama! :) xx

Ds only had 14oz at 10m. He had 2 7oz bottles, one in the morning and one at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->