Ideas for playing in the garden rather than the park

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
We're very outdoorsy in our household and like to make the most of the sunshine. We have a VERY small garden (we're in the UK, remember, and even by British standards our garden is tiny), but we do grow some veggies from seed (which the boys help with) and the boys have got a wheelbarrow and some kids' gardening tools, and we have a couple of water toys. Other than that, the boys just seem to get bored really quickly out in the garden, so we tend to go to the park or woods or hills rather than ever just chilling in the garden.

I would love to just play out in the garden sometimes, rather than always having to make a big trip. Does anybody have some ideas on making the garden a more fun place to be? Our boys are nearly 2 and nearly 5, and generally they enjoy each others' company.

My LO is only 16 months, but his favorites outside now are his sand box and bubbles. I bought just a clear plastic storage tub and filled it with sand and toys and cover it if needed. It can be moved around or put in the house since space is an issue. Sorry if that's an obvious suggestion, you probably thought of it, or they are too old.

a couple of things I have done with lo
1. Create a water run like this https://www.sunhatsandwellieboots.com/2011/04/water-play-construction-area.html
2. cut a bin bag open stick paint on, cover with cling film and seal with masking tape- can then run around and crawl on it to mix colours
3. Take a big plastic cheap table and let paint out side
4. Haven't done myself but no people who let the children have small area just for digging
5. This one I want to try this summer- the water blob https://www.clumsycrafter.com/2012/05/water-blob-tutorial/
6. Take her farm animals/ zoo animals out and create a farm/zoo
7. Mini beast hunt (get a magnify glass, paper, some books on mini beasts and maybe camera to take photos)
8. pretend to go on a bear hunt, read book and then create a trail around the garden with paw prints made of paper to follow (doesent matter if small it can just be about hopping from paw print to paw print which can go through house to)
9. Make a scavenger hunt (list things they need to find like a stone, sticks etc)
10. Create a treasure hunt and get them to follow clues to find a prize

oh and of course bubbles and one they all seem to love is water with paint brushes to paint walls, ground etc with

The in laws have a small sand pit, ds likes playing ball or just playing with some of his indoor toys outside xx

we have sandpit as well, lo also has a small water table which takes up barely any room which you can use as a table as well

We have a kiddie pool, kids gardening toys, and some ride on toys, but my DS gets bored in the yard and asks to go to the park too...

Some great ideas above. Huge hits in our house include... minibeast hunts, digging, setting up a carwash with all his ride ons. I also made a beach.... 2 paddleing pools filled one with sand and one with water, bubbles and chalk will keep him happy for ages. We look for rocks, wash them and then he paints them. Throwing water balloons at the wall. Or drawing on the floor with water and a brush or a water gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->