If I'm sad during my pregnancy will my baby be a sad baby?

Sb86

Reaction score
I stopped all my medication when I found out I was pregnant two months ago.
I have been on my medication for almost 10 years - anti depressants, anti psychotics, sleeping pills and a relaxant.

I've found it very difficult, luckily I'm finally over my withdrawal from sleepers and my sleep is ok. But my general mood is not.

I know we are emotional when pregnant, but this is horrendous.
I'm not just emtional, I'm terribly sad. I don't have baby's father around and 90% of my friends have disappeared so I don't have many people to talk to about this. Sometimes I think I don't want to be around anymore. I'm not willing to go back on my meds for fear of doing harm to the baby, but what I'm asking is this -
If we are depressed during pregnancy, do we risk our baby being born and growing up sad and anxious?
I've read about stress in pregnancy causing stress to baby, so what about depression?

Im a big beliver in YES it does. Your behaviour your mood reflects baby :-(
My first was from day one in a rough disruptive relationship me and hes father and he wasent a good baby and hes still very difficult now. My second from day one i was never unhappy best father best pregnancy and shes an angel sleeps eats is a pleasure xxxx try to stay happy pregnancy is such a blessing x

No. How you feel in pregnancy will not lead your baby to feel the same. If your depression has a hereditary component to it, then baby could inherit that I suppose. When I got pregnant with daughter I had also been on anti depressants, anti psychotics (seroquel 600 mg which was awful coming off of). I was a stressed out mess a lot of the time. I cried a lot. My daughter is almost 2 and she is the happiest child I"ve ever seen. Seriously. She is also really social, which i am definitely not. I think we all have our on personalities and she is just a happy kid. My psychiatrist told me that their disposition as infants/toddlers is basically the way they'll be (I had been telling him I was worried she'd be depressed like me), and just bc I was depressed didn't mean she would be.

Yes i too am a firm believer ever since i went to this conference called Riding the Waves of Social Emotional Development. It talks about how babies brain development is huge in pre birth and infancy and why certain kids behave the way they do. Mothers who had very stressful pregnancies, gave birth to babies who were very hard to soothe and had bahaviour problems etc and were always on high energy and didnt know how to self regulate themselves. So in a very sad pregnancy, a baby could have bonding issues and be easily saddened etc.

Most people think you have to stop all meds and cant take any in pregnancy. Back in the day yes, but now there are sooo many safe meds you can take that wont harm baby. I would talk to your dr about how you still feel very depressed and how hard its been. There are meds you can take.

Btw i work in childcare and have looked into this type of thing many of times. They dont end up feeling the same way you do, but their brain development is changed based on the pregnancy and how interactions go in infancy. Its called the social and emotional modules. If you search up social and emotional development, you will get more of an idea of it. Its been done by a lot of professionals and our local child development centre provided the workshop that i mentioned. So that way you dont think its some hokey thing.

Sadness and depression in the mother don't have any impact on a baby in the womb. Actually, serotonin (and maybe dopamine too) is created by the placenta- those chemicals can't cross the blood barrier between mother and child. So you don't need to worry that low serotonin levels in you (possible cause for depression) will cause low serotonin levels in your baby.
https://www.npr.org/2011/04/20/135569520/babies-developing-brains-fed-by-placenta-not-mom

Orionfox is right about stress though. Stress can cause things like low birth weight, premature delivery, a weakened immune system, and infant anxiety because your "fight or flight response" hormones can get to your baby. So relax- everything will be fine. Science says your sadness can't be transmitted, but anxiety can be. :hugs:

They've linked babies in in utero having less depression when grown during the summer why? Because mom gets more vitamin Din the summer which effects the fetus while she's pregnant:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22879429
Vitamin D is a natural anti-depressant and funny enough more than 80% of North Americans are deficient in it. It will help boost your mood and protect your unborn child from a lifetime of depression too.

There are no bad effects on exceeding the upper limits on vit D during pregnancy, actually quite the contrary, there are less negative outcomes. If you haven't got it in your pantry, get some good quality vit D and take it everyday. Don't bother with pills, they don't absorb the same as liquid vit D.

The other 2 happy vits are iron and B12. Both will ensure you have energy and low iron is linked to ADHD and learning disabilities (study). Iron is never taken with calcium, no milk products, just citrus like orange juice and in LIQUID form or you'll just get super constipated. To get the required min dose of iron you'd have to eat 28 heaping plates of spinach. Not doing that everyday? Don't wish to struggle with a future child with ADHD? Try a little liquid iron, it prevents post partum depression too. There are upper limits on 99% of vitamins especially iron. But it's more likely we're low in iron, D & B12 than adequate levels on it.:winkwink:

B12 will give you energy to get off the couch and boost your mood. If you're still not feeling well talk to your doctor. You may need to go back on anti-depressants. Hang in there!

Hi. If you're worried about this and very down I'd talk to your midwife. Some antidepressants are safer than others for pregnancy and if you are feeling very bad you may want to weigh up the relative risks with a professional. I too have suffered from severe depression in the past but I was lucky in that pregnancy and early motherhood turned me the other way. It's hard though and I was lucky to have support. Please seek help if you're worried.

I agree with the other ladies who say you should see your doc and weigh up the relative risks of taking medication during pregnancy. 9 months is a long time to suffer with the kind of feeling you are having. Although, I found my mood and general hormonal feelings improved significantly once I got into 2nd trimester. I guess you might want to see if you feel any better in the coming couple of weeks. I would definitely contact your midwife straight away however as she should be able to lend a sympathetic ear at the very least.

No, I was very stressed and upset during my last pregnancy but have a very chilled out and happy baby.

Wow there are a lot of different opinions on this one.

I would agree with everyone who suggests talking to your doctor. Even if you do not want to take the medications that you have been on, your doctor may be able to prescribe a different type of drug, or even just refer you for counseling that could help you to talk out some of your problems and worries. Especially if you are feeling that you have no one to talk to, this could be good for you.

First and foremost, you must care for yourself. Without a healthy and happy mother, your baby will not be in a very good spot. I would go as far as to say taking the medications that help you stay healthy would be worth it even if they have potential negative effects on the child (within reason). If you can't make it through the pregnancy then staying off the drugs does no good to the child.

Thanks for all your replies.

Saw my doctor yesterday, he's referred me to the mental health team who work with pregnant women in my area and ive decided once I've had my 12 week scan next Wednesday im going to go back on my anti depressants. I've been signed off work for a week so at least I don't have to think about that hell hole for now.

At least I came off all the medication for a while.. Better than nothing, I suppose.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->