If you are TTC, have you checked your Rubella status?

felix555

Reaction score
please have a read here:

https://www.patient.co.uk/health/Pregnancy-and-Rubella.htm

today there was some confusion regarding my status and for a minute the midwife thought i was not immune to this (actually in the end i was so phew)

i am 16 weeks and this is not something i thought of before TTC.

but I think it's worth checking this before you actually fall pregnant.

most people should be OK but just make sure.

Before you become pregnant
You should have a blood test before you become pregnant. The blood test checks for antibodies in your blood to show that you are immune to rubella.

Children in the UK are immunised against rubella as part of the routine childhood immunisation programme. However, in an extremely small number of children, the immunisation does not work well. In these children, when they become adults, their body does not have enough antibodies to protect against rubella.
The only way to check whether you are immune is to have the blood test.
This blood test may be offered in routine well woman checks given to younger women who have not yet become pregnant. If you have not had a test, your practice nurse can arrange for this to be done.
In particular, women who have come to the UK from overseas may not have been immunised and are then at risk of having a baby with congenital rubella syndrome.
If the blood test shows that you are not immune, you should be immunised (see separate leaflet called 'Rubella Immunisation').

I'm not immune. I've had the rubella injection a couple of times and it wore off within a few months.
But I couldn't get it because I was pregnant, I forgot by the time I had her and then found out again because I was pregnant again.

But I forgot again and I probably will forget about this post by tomorrow lol! I have an awful memory.

I wasn't immune after my childhood vaccination either. A doc ran a test to check in my mid twenties, and I got re-immunized. Haven't actually checked if it worked the 2nd time though. Thinking I maybe should now....

ladies, my rubella blood test came as positive. what does it mean? am I immune?

mayawantababy, thank you so much! I feel much better now

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->