If you could recommend one nappy to start with...

ellers

Mum to Louie!
Reaction score
Hiya,
Completely new to cloth nappies but would love to use them (if only to quash the critics who smile smugly and say 'yeah, we'll see how long that lasts'), save money and do my bit!
I've got myself a bit lost with all the different types, so if you could see if I've got the following correct and then add your suggestion, it'd be much appreciated!
First decision we need to make - do we want AIO or separates wraps?
Second decision we need to make - do we want different sizes or birth to potty?
Third decision we need to make - what to go for!
From what I can see, if we decide to go for separates, Little Lamb have a nice starter kit with 10 cotton and 5 wraps. Might be good to get us going? But AIOs, a lot of you like the bumgenius ones, so a kit of those instead. Or maybe one of each? EEK! This is where I get lost :cry:
We're planning on using the HIP grant to get our starter kits as although it makes more sense to try a kit out on him once he's actually born, surely I'll then end up using disposables while waiting for delivery of the ones that work the best?
Any advice on what to start with than you can pass down?

Hiya hun. First off, congrats on your little bubs!

Secondly, it sounds like you have done loads of research on nappies/types etc so you know there is a looooot of choice out there!

I would recommend that you get a couple of trial packs of different nappies and try them on your little man when he is born. The first couple of weeks you don't really want to be using cloth, their poo is icky and will stain your cloth, and you will need the sleep!! Also, tiny newborn babies don't tend to fit very well into the BTP nappies because they are quite bulky on teency little bums :haha: so you might be better waiting a couple of weeks until he has chunked out a bit!

I really rate this as a starter pack for various kinds of nappies: https://www.fill-your-pants.com/product/55/108/mixed-nappy-trial-pack That would give you a start at least!

Any more questions, ask away!

I agree with babyshambles, getting a few trial packs will give you a good idea on which work best for you, every baby is different when it comes to nappies and there are loads to choose from.
Mothercare do a smart nappy trial pack for 9.99 and everyone i have spoken to love the smart nappies so perhaps one of them on your list would be a good idea.
Let us know how you get on and which you choose. xx

Yeah I agree, and that trial pack looks good. You don't really know what you want 'til you try it on your own baby, as they are all different shapes and sizes. :D

Oooh yeh...Donna is right about the smart nappy kit! They are great...well worth a look. xx

I too would say its best to get a few. All mummies and all babies are different. I thought i would use 2 parters, but as it turned out i only use them at night. I prefer much slimmer day nappies and therefore most of mine are sized (BTP tend to be bulkier) altho my BG AIO are BTP and super slim :)

If you are ok with pre-loved (ie second-hand - and I have had nothing but good experiences with them, some have been so well taken care of they could have been new and I'd not have known), you could try out a few different kinds without spending a lot and then buy more of the ones you like. I use the Little Lambs and thought about buying one of the kits but in the end bought some pre-loved in each of the different fabrics. From that I decided that microfibre is lovely and soft and almost dry straight from the wash, but needs changing every hour practically because it leaks easily, cotton dries quite quick and is ok but not that soft unless it's tumbled, and bamboo is gorgeous and soft, very absorbant but takes significantly longer to dry. I'm glad I found all that out before I invested in 10 or 20 or more brand new.

Not all nappies are that easy to get hold of second-hand, though. I got most of mine from the Used Nappy Company auction site, and from some sellers on Cloth Nappy Tree forum. If you decided to buy a few of one type new, I'd recommend you only pre-wash and use one, to see what it's like and if you like it, because then if you don't like it you can sell the rest as new and unused and get full price back.

Thanks ladies, this is very helpful info! I didn't realise that maybe we shouldn't launch right in with reusables, so that's good to know. We've got a couple of packs of newborn pampers (which we had to buy to get free stuff!!) so will use those while we sort out which ones to get.
Thanks for the link to the trial pack too, can't wait to start researching them, but having a little bum to put them on!!

i used huggies for the first 6 weeks, worked out well she was pooing in every nappy and they were explosive lol, so she was out of that phase when i started cloth

i used the council incentive which was a nappy laundry service who provided terry squares and wraps at first but i found the to be bulky and i was already drooling over other nappies lol
i bought a few tots bots, some kushies and some wraps and stuck with tots bots some bamboozles and some organic cotton, love them, havent touched the kushies.

thats my experiance lol, go on cloth nappy tree or natural mamas they sell on there so you can get a bargain :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->