if you werent preg, would you give up your seat for a preg women?

meli1981

D, me, and our crazy 3!
Reaction score
hi everyone! so today my family went to a kids expo. it was extremely crowded! we went to have a seat to see thomas the train and there was a lady at the end of the isle with an empty seat beside her. i asked her if i could sit down, but she said the seat was for her son, who was sitting on her lap. he was about two, and wasnt sitting in the seat, until i asked for it. i didnt know what to say, so turned around and she plunked him in the seat, im assuming so nobody else would ask for it. my sister made a comment saying i was preg and that was why i needed the seat, but the lady didnt care. im 30 weeks, so very obviouslt expecting. am i over reacting? i just felt so put off, nobody was sitting in the seat anyway!

I've always given my seat up for pregnant women...I've also given my place in a long queue as well so they don't stand around huffing and puffing lol I did this even when I was LTTTC and wasn't always in the right frame of mind when I came across a pregnant woman :blush:

how rude of her! She could have kept her LO in her lap and let you sit down,

I most certainly would and have given up a seat for a heavily pregnant woman. Same for the physically disabled, injured, elderly, men/women carrying a baby/toddler and even just people carrying multiple bags or things that look heavy. I'll even get up for someone who just plain looks tired and worn out.

As baffling as it seems though, I find that women generally are less likely to give up a seat for a pregnant woman than men are. Maybe because they've been there and dealt with others not being considerate towards them - though I'd think that would be even more reason to be kind. I wish more would remember that the end few weeks of a pregnancy can be so difficult for some and sometimes what seems like small gestures can be huge. A little courtesy goes an awful long way but some people just can't be bothered with anyone but themselves.

hi everyone! so today my family went to a kids expo. it was extremely crowded! we went to have a seat to see thomas the train and there was a lady at the end of the isle with an empty seat beside her. i asked her if i could sit down, but she said the seat was for her son, who was sitting on her lap. he was about two, and wasnt sitting in the seat, until i asked for it. i didnt know what to say, so turned around and she plunked him in the seat, im assuming so nobody else would ask for it. my sister made a comment saying i was preg and that was why i needed the seat, but the lady didnt care. im 30 weeks, so very obviouslt expecting. am i over reacting? i just felt so put off, nobody was sitting in the seat anyway!

:O that is absolutely shocking!! What a horrible woman!! I don't use public transport anymore but when I did I always gave my seat up for pregnant women and the elderly! Its like an unwritten rule in my opinion!

Wow how selfish. If I'm alone I will give up my seat for a pregnant woman. Now if I had my 2 year old with me probably not but in the situation she could have easily put her son in her lap and have you "his" seat.

Some people can be so rude.

If I was u I would have sat down before she put her toddler back on the seat....
Lol

But thats me being extremely angry pregnant at the moment lol

Rude cow imo...

My dad taught me something from day one ..

"Its nice to be important... but its important to be nice!"

I believe in what goes around comes around and next time she feels like poo or is pregnant someone wont give her a seat.

What a biotch! If her son was already sitting in her lap apparently he's capable of doing so. She should have let you sit down.

People are so rude and inconsiderate.. on my birthday me and OH went out to eat but there was a 30 minute wait. All of the seats in the waiting area were taken (there were a lot of them) and NOBODY offered me their seat. In fact people would look away when I looked in their direction so they could pretend like they just didn't see me. It made me so mad! I've given up my seats so many times for elderly or pregnant people, it just doesn't make sense that people don't have common courtesy.

What happened to manners?!?!

As a pregnant lady, I've tried to give up my seat to others (tried to give my seat up to an elderly gentleman on the bus and he looked horrified that I'd even SUGGEST such a thing). When I'm NOT pregnant I feel like I'm on high alert for people I should be giving my seat up to! That lady sounds super rude.

thanks ladies:) i would always give my seat up to anyone who needed it, i guess i naively thought everyone was like this! what gets me is i wouldnt ask if someone was sitting in it, but the seat was empty! i just think she didnt want anyone sitting next to her, but the place was packed! not fair to anyone really!

I was in my pharmacy the other day, waiting to have my medicine refilled. There were two waiting seats, both filled with other customers waiting. They were looking at my backside (I had my back to them), but when I turned around, it was like Moses parting the Red Sea. One of them SHOT up, and asked if I needed a spot to sit.

Ready for the shocker? The one who stood up was a TEENAGER. The middle aged, nicely dressed woman beside her stayed seated, noisily playing on her iPhone!

I think it's funny, being almost 23 myself, I remember MY teenage years, and would have and HAD done the same for a pregnant, new mom, elderly or disabled person!

It's amazing that it's usually the teenagers/young adults who get SUCH a bad rap, when truly, I've seen more middle aged adults behaving poorly!

The teenager (couldn't have been over 17) asked if I would like a drink or something (I had just thrown up and was quite pale). What did snooty pants do? Looked me up and down and resumed playing on her phone.

Nasty twat. LOL

I'm glad someone has a good story! I'm very impressed with that teenager!

I'm glad someone has a good story! I'm very impressed with that teenager!

You and me BOTH! I don't know if the woman next to her was her mom/related, but I was just blown away that the teenager had SO much respect for a pregnant woman, and that older lady didn't.

I think a previous poster nailed it on the head, that women who've been scorned in their pregnancies seem to be less caring and considerate toward other pregnant women. I think it's crap, because really, sometimes being pregnant TRULY SUCKS without having people, especially OTHER WOMEN being total douches about it! :growlmad:

I know! And like I've heard a million times, every woman and every pregnancy is different so I really don't understand that mentality!

I'd have just say down on it, what a rude woman!! If her son was happy to be on her lap before you asked then she should have just kept him there!

I was in my pharmacy the other day, waiting to have my medicine refilled. There were two waiting seats, both filled with other customers waiting. They were looking at my backside (I had my back to them), but when I turned around, it was like Moses parting the Red Sea. One of them SHOT up, and asked if I needed a spot to sit.

Ready for the shocker? The one who stood up was a TEENAGER. The middle aged, nicely dressed woman beside her stayed seated, noisily playing on her iPhone!

I think it's funny, being almost 23 myself, I remember MY teenage years, and would have and HAD done the same for a pregnant, new mom, elderly or disabled person!

It's amazing that it's usually the teenagers/young adults who get SUCH a bad rap, when truly, I've seen more middle aged adults behaving poorly!

The teenager (couldn't have been over 17) asked if I would like a drink or something (I had just thrown up and was quite pale). What did snooty pants do? Looked me up and down and resumed playing on her phone.

Nasty twat. LOL

I've always found that teenagers are more polite and considerate than older people! What's worse is that older people always comment on how rude younguns are and it's never the 'younguns' it's always the older ones!

I'm probs going to go abit against the grain here but oh we'll, if it was just me, I would of offered my seat...

But if I would of had my nearly two year old with me I wouldn't of gave someone her seat, just because she's on my lap for a few minutes doesn't mean she's going to want to sit there the whole way and she would just end up making a fuss ... As far a I'm concerned little kids shouldn't have to give up there seats for a pregnant women ...

That being said I'm 35 weeks pregnant and I wouldn't expect anyone to give up there seat for me

Thats shocking. I have a 4 yr old and a 3yr old and i would of kept one of the children on my lap if a pregnant lady or an elderly/disabled person needed a seat.
This happened with my 1st whilst travelling to work on a bus i was around 34 weeks pregnant the bus was crowded and i had to stand up the front of the bus as no one would offer their seat to me! This happened alot! I think its disgraceful tbh...

I was having this discussion with a friend yesterday, a woman got on the tube with a child of about 4 years old and demanded my friend get out if her seat so the child could sit down, which I do not agree with at all.

I always tried to avoid 'priority seats' on public transport because I know there were people that needed them (pregnant/elderly/disabled etc). I've witnessed people sitting in those seats on public transport and not offer them to a pregnant woman so many times, especially men.

I have rarely been offered a seat, but when I have it's normally been from a young girl, and I've seen other pregnant ladies be offered seats by teenagers too!

I have given up my seat on s train for a lady more pregnant than me because no one else would. I was 26w and she looked 32w+

She felt terrible when i stood up.. and others around looked away kn shame!

Ps : in my experience.. women are the worst offendrs. Usually men stand up.

Prior to pregnancy I always offered up my seat. Now that I am OBVIOUSLY pregnant I've only had someone give up a seat twice for me, and I ride the bus a minimum of 2x daily. I've also had people run to an empty seat when it came up before I could reach it. And again, it isn't as though they don't notice I am pregnant...Sometimes if I get a seat next to them when someone gets off, they ask about my baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->