I'm fuming

LucyLadyBug

Reaction score
Was just browsing on facebook when I noticed on my ex housemate's page (she's a mental health nurse) a post about the attacks on scientists researching the mental aspects on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

On the thread where a couple of posts to the tune that why would people criticise research into the illness (which is fair enough) then another one calling all people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrom (myself included) 'cry-babies'.

I find this incredibly offensive. I don't agree with the actions of these people in the slightest, but I also don't agree with the majority of focus paid to the mental side, and that if there is an objection outsiders just say we are being whiny and that we should suck it up. Because I totally don't 'suck it up' every day whether I feel healthy or not, even though it makes me more ill later on when I can afford to rest. or 'crash' as me and my OH call it, as I basically go into a coma for about 5 hours.

I didn't want to be accused to defending these people's actions though, or just wanting to be offensive, which I don't. So I almost decided not to leave a comment, but in the end I just couldn't not, so left this:

"I've only just seen this thread. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome may easily have psychological ties, but I don't think it's as simple as that. A friend of mine who also has CFS was *committed* to a mental ward for 8 months because doctors didn't know how to handle his diagnosis. I certainly don't believe that is correct unless he had displayed other physchological symptoms. Which he was not.

I honestly believe that CFS's causes are more genetically based. that some people are born with it or at least more prone to develop it. it explains the differences between when people get it and the physical or mental triggers for it. I know there isn't any definative science to prove this, but it's still a perfectly valid theory and would make a lot of sense

The reason these people are acting out like that is because of the stigma. Imagine for a second that you don't know what you can do. If you can go to school or work without falling asleep, if you can walk down a corridor without loosing vision and passing out. if you can get out of bed without chronic muscle pain. Then after years of not being diagnosed. Try being told it's all in your head.

No I do not condone their actions at all, in fact I am appalled. But I understand. Sorry for this rant but I needed to say it."

I'm now worried as to the response I'm going to get, especially from the person who said the cry baby comment, as he is one of those people with very strong opinions, and will comment on EVERYTHING EVER. and generally can be very annoying

Sorry for the length, just needed to vent, hope I'm not being annoying girls :)

How awful. I certainly wouldn't class people afflicted with this terrible condition as cry babies. I have a very good friend affected and she is basically disabled. No one would choose to live with this condition. Anyone who does in my eyes is extremely brave and fighting hard just to get through the day.

I think anyone saying such things are speaking with no real knowledge or understanding.

I know it's easy to say and hard to do but try not to let naive people upset you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->