I'm making a Teepee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyHill

Mum & Wife <3
Reaction score
:happydance:

My husband thinks I'm crazy since my to-do list is already miles long (well my I-want-to-do list) but I think my son may *need* a teepee and I can't really justify £150+ when you add in the extras soooo...

I'm making one! :haha:

Is anyone else interested in making one and we can post pics of the final outcome? I've found this tutorial I love and a floor cushion for inside (I'll need to tweek the pattern as I only intend to have 4 sides/poles for the floor cushion to fit). I've priced up some cute material from eBay and think I could do it for £35-40 depending on the price of the poles!

https://dobleufa.blogspot.com.ar/2012/10/quilted-floor-cushion-tutorial-english.html - floor cushion

https://www.strawberryswingandthings.com/2013/07/sew-fun-diy-teepee-tutorial.html - teepee

Am I crazy?

Nope! I wish I was as handy at sewing as you and then I'd be making one too! :)

I don't think your crazy at all! If I was decent at sewing things and had the room for one I'd totally make one too. :D

I'm by no means an expert I'm self taught... I love my sewing machine but she seems to hate me at times so we'll see what the finished product looks like first :haha:

I think I'll have to pay you to make me one!! I'm desperate for one of these for LO :cloud9:

I love it. Would love to make one just have no idea where we'd put it when I did. I'd be really interested to find out how you get on though and how easy you find sewing with such big pieces of fabric (I always find it really awkward!!). Where are you going to get the fabric from? Ikea do some plain cotton fabrics for about £4-6m which I've used for quilt covers and curtains and the like which might good and keep the costs low for the bulk of the fabric.

And no, your not mad. I regularly take ideas off pinterest/etsy and have a go at making them - some work, some don't but I have lots of fun trying!!

I think it looks pretty straight forward, aside from pretty much having to redo the pattern of the teepee to fit the cushion. I'm used to refashioning clothes and made a tonne of maxi dresses from vest tops, elastic and material so I'm hoping its not that different sewing wise. I've not used that many sewing patterns as I usually pin and sew as I go so that may be an advantage. Its definitely a little out of my comfort zone being so big though.

Ikea is almost an hour from us so think I'm going to order the fabric on ebay, I've seen some lovely striped, pirate and starry ones that I can't choose between.

Gotta love pinterest! :)

Well I've started the teepee - keep in mind its very much a work in progress and its mostly pinned so I can tighten up the bottom a bit too.

I decided to do it as I go but its not bad so far! I do think its a little big but folds up so can't really argue that.

Ps thats the fabric hubby came home with after I asked him to go get me blue striped! So wasn't my first choice :haha:

Attachments

• 20140925_112139.jpg
    20140925_112139.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20140925_113225.jpg
    20140925_113225.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 30
  • 20140925_113409.jpg
    20140925_113409.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 25
I don't think you're crazy, what a fab project to take on!

Thanks ladies :flower:

You think? When I first saw it I was like 'What. Is. That?!' But it seems to be growing on me. The only thing is the poles are 7ft long so its pretty big. They didn't look that big when I bought them. I'm really happy with it so far though, my son got a glimpse of it on my phone and was so excited saying its his house so its possible I'll break and give it to him early :haha:

If I had the room I'd do this! Although we're converting part of our shed (20x8ft) into a play house for DD so will have to see what OH says.

Its that big you probably could live in it :haha:

Thanks for the encouragement, I need it tonight I've got two sides with three legs fully sewn and sorted and the third is being an a$$. I've pricked myself that much I'm actually bleeding and it keeps falling on my head :growlmad:

Very much a labour of love just now.

bargain!

i'll swap you for a 5 year old who has the
attitude of a teenager?

she slams doors and everything

:thumbup:

took a my little pony duvet set after 4 years
of co sleeping to make that happen

:haha:

she's fine at night it's the day time you
have to worry about

:rofl: