Impact of flu on early pregnancy?

icegurl470

Reaction score
Got my bfp today after trying for the first time for #2. This day did not go as planned though. Came down with a TERRIBLE flu last night. Was coming out of both ends all night long and by morning I was severely dehydrated. My hubs took me to the dr. I told them I may be pregnant and was able to squeeze out a trickle of pee for the test, and it was positive.. Was put on IV fluids for 2+ hrs. I seem to be on the mend now. I probably puked like 20 times last night though, and it was really violent strenuous heaving.

I'm worried whether this will have an effect on the fetus. I know flu in late pregnancy can be dangerous, is there any affect on (very) early pregnancy though?

Thanks,

Im sorry to hear you are so ill :( I have a condition called hyperemesis gravidarum which basically made it where I couldnt keep down any fluids or food from 6wks to 10wks. I was admitted to the hospital for a week after losing 15lbs and becoming severely dehydrated with ketones in my urine. Finally, they ended up giving me a PICC line so I can recieve IV fluids and medications at home. It has gotten better than it was but I still vomit on a daily basis.

I was terribly worried about the effect it would have on my bub but I had sonos at 6wks and 10wks that show a perfectly healthy baby! The doctors say that your body instinctually knows what to do and will basically take whatever it needs from you from wherever it can take it to give it to the baby- basically the baby's needs come first. Don't worry hun, baby will be just fine xx :hugs: I hope you feel better soon.

Congrats. I had the same situation. I got my BFP on a Tuesday. That same Saturday I got the flu. Was coming out both ends as well. I was super nervous. Was going to go to the ER but my mo suggested I call the on call doctor with my doc. They said it was ok. People get sick. Just try to drink lots of fluids when you can. You went to the hospital and get rehydrated so I am sure you will be ok. The doc said the baby will take what it needs. Took me a few days before I could eat and drink agian. Finally am now but now I have a deep chest cough. Waiting to feel better. I hope you feel better.

I didn't have the flu but I did have bronchitis when I got my bfp. Felt horrible and could not shake the fever...took days and I was popping tylenol like no one's business. Those little suckers are pretty tough and as long as you can stay hydrated in some way, you should be fine!

I think you will be just fine. Although, when I went for my first doctor's appointment at 8 weeks the doctors recommended I get a flu shot. They said that if you do get the flu while pregnant it can have negative effects on the baby. I'm not sure what those are, but I feel like that early on it should be fine. I think its more of a later on thing where it has the problems. When you go to the doctor talk about getting a flu shot just to get you through the rest of the flu season!

Thanks ladies. My biggest fear was an early miscarriage, but a few days have gone by and things are still going good, so I'm a little at ease.

I did get a flu shot this yr too.. but my doc said it could have been a less common strain or the dreaded nuero virus.

When I was pregnant with my first I was told to get my flu shot and I was warned that getting the flu at my gestation, which was about 26 wks at the time, could cause premature labor. There's been some studies that show the flu can slightly increase risk of autism or other issues with the baby? But it's not clear whether that's from the flu itself or the fever.

Either way worrying about it isn't going to help. I'll be pregnant in the summer this time so the flu wont be as much of a worry anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->