Implanon.

RoyalPython

Reaction score
Anyone reccomend this? Im considering getting it this Wed. I dont like the idea of putting lots of horemones into my body, and this had a lower dosage then my pill. Plus my pill failed me not that long ago.

I had two friends on this. One managed with it for 2 years - but found her periods very irregular. The other only managed to bear it for three months as the side effects were so bad for her. Its a very personal thing - for myself, I hate the idea of it being in my arm and being able to feel it through the skin. Thats enough to put me off!

I have this. Ive had it in a month and a half so far and NO PERIODS YET wahey! lol bit at first my skin went a bit mental but its starting to improve. The only major downside it has as far as im concerned is the lack of babies hehe. I think it effects everyone differently as does the pill, i tried a couple of different pill brands and none of them suited me. Fingers crossed it stays a positive experiance! x

Hey, mixed reviews from me. I had it for almost 3 years, no problems at all...not one period, lost weight, it was fab...but i got pregnant whilst on it! I had it removed although i sadly miscarried. After i had Poppy (so 2 years later) i had it put back in and it was a nightmare! Honestly, i can't explain how awful i felt. I had nausea, constant bleeding (not just spotting) then heavy bleeding every 28 days along with awful period pains, i put weight on and got awful headaches and spots (never had them before), the worst though was the mood swings, they were unbearable for me but worse for hubby!

Not sure what help that has been as its quite mixed. Only thing i would advise is that my gp told me they like to put people on it as its roughly half the cost of the pill so they really pressure you into giving it time to settle, although my gp said it very rarely changes after its been in for 9 weeks so after this if you're still not happy demand it be removed or you'll suffer unecessarily as i did when the family planning clinic all but refused to remove it! I can't use any bc, pill makes me sick, implant and mini pill have the above effect and they can't put the coil in because of how my cervix is (not sure what thats all about!) and they no longer offer depo.

Good luck and let us know how you go with it xxx

Hi RoyalPython, I had it put in a few years ago. As far as I can remember, I didn't have a period for a good few months while I was on it, but I had spotting. Then I started having regular periods. For the last year of having it in I had spotting for weeks at a time, until I got so sick of it I had it removed after about 2 and a half years. I'm normal weight, so it wasnt the hormones fading or anything.

Weight-wise, I put on a teensy bit of weight, but that was most likely due to me getting lazy and eating more, not the implant :blush:

Mood-wise I can't really comment, cos I had a rough time with anxiety, was on a few anti-depressants, and had to go to an out-patient program at a psychiatric hospital to treat it, so I was pretty up and down from that!!

It didn't bother me being able to feel it through my skin, it facinated me, I kept poking it! Getting it out was fine too, didn't feel a thing and it was very quick.

Its interesting that its lower hormones than the pill, cos when I got it out I went on the pill, and in the third cycle I got breakthrough bleeding for a week and the nurse told me it might be because the hormones from the implant were wearing off :wacko:

Good luck :thumbup:

THANKYOU EVERYONE!!!
Very helpful. Im scared of the anesthetic, never had anything like that apart from teeth taken out :|I heard its a "local operation" to get it out as well.

From all your reviews I see its probably not the best choice, but the minipill is too risky (already forget my pill LONGER then the 12 H period, but im just lazy so I cba to take it, secretely TTC?) and with the pill im on (microgynon) I had a chemical preg and I just CANT stand how painful its made my periods (had NO pains before).

Armywife- Im sorry for your loss but wow at getting pregnant on it, From what iv been told its SO effective!!! Must be fertile :) xx

I know you have decided aganist it now but I will say this. It will KILL your sex drive. LOL Booooooooo... I have it and really want it out but am waiting as I will just get my tubes tided when 3 years are up.

I heard its a "local operation" to get it out as well.

Armywife- Im sorry for your loss but wow at getting pregnant on it, From what iv been told its SO effective!!! Must be fertile :) xx

Its hardly an op at all! They use a scalpel to make a tiny incision then pull it out, it does depend on how well it was inserted though - my first one was put in too deeply and it took nearly an hour to remove it! Sometimes you have to be referred to hospital for minor surgery to remove it apparently.

Hubby and i have never had a problem getting pregnant, its the staying pregnant we struggle with. We managed it with my darling girl though so i have hope for the future too :cloud9:

Perhaps you should ask about the coil? I know they aren't keen on giving it if you haven't had a baby but you never know..you may end up in my situation, charting, withdrawal and condoms every now and then! :dohh: Good luck honey :flower:

i have no experience with it whatso ever, and im not on any type of BC but maybe you could try the nuva ring?
https://www.nuvaring.com/Consumer/index.asp

you leave it in for 3 weeks and then take it out for 1 week, i believe you can take it out for less than 3 hours a day (maybe for sex, but your partner should not be able to feel it i think) and you can reinsert it and it'll still protect against pregnancy.

I think if i'd ever go on BC again I'd try the nuva ring!

I had the Implanon from April 2006 until October 2007, it was fine for the first six months or so but then i started bleeding all the time and eventually had it removed. It's a shame my body diddn't take to it.

The really good thing is my boobs were huge while i had it in:happydance::thumbup:

I had this, the ops we're hardly anything to have it, I really wouldnt worry about that!

I found it killed my sex drive to and also I bled so irregularly but I do on every pill Ive tried as well so im probably just an odd bod!

It was fantastic not having to worry about taking pills or anything else though I wish I had got on with it, I truely think its worth a go.

I've had my implanon since September 2007, and I have to say that it's been brilliant. Getting it put in was no problem, tiny incision and a really small tube (about as long as a hair grip and really thin) is pushed in. It was slightly sore for about 2 days but that was it. I'm getting it taken out on tuesday - so I can report on how that goes as well!

I had one period after it was put in (really light) and then they disappeared until I had a random breakthough bleeding (like 2 periods back to back) for about 10 days in January this year. Nothing since then.

I've had no side effects, no loss of sex drive, no headaches, bleeding, cramps etc. I think that it is something that is very dependant upon the individual though, and you can't anticipate how your body will react to it. It's also nice to know that you are protected regardless of things like vomiting, antibiotics, etc.

I'll admit i've gained a lot of weight, but then again I also eat a lot of junk and do no exercise, so I don't think I can blame it on the implant!

I'd recommend it as the best form of contraception to anyone wanting something easy and reliable. (Although having read ArmyWife's comments, perhaps not as reliable as I previously thought!)

I'd recommend it as the best form of contraception to anyone wanting something easy and reliable. (Although having read ArmyWife's comments, perhaps not as reliable as I previously thought!)

I put it down to the fact that he's away so much so is...ahem...saving up and we always have lots of time to make up for when he gets home! :haha: xxx

I know you have decided aganist it now but I will say this. It will KILL your sex drive. LOL Booooooooo... I have it and really want it out but am waiting as I will just get my tubes tided when 3 years are up.

Oh noooo, mines already so low. Poor OH :(

I've had my implanon since September 2007, and I have to say that it's been brilliant. Getting it put in was no problem, tiny incision and a really small tube (about as long as a hair grip and really thin) is pushed in. It was slightly sore for about 2 days but that was it. I'm getting it taken out on tuesday - so I can report on how that goes as well!

I had one period after it was put in (really light) and then they disappeared until I had a random breakthough bleeding (like 2 periods back to back) for about 10 days in January this year. Nothing since then.

I've had no side effects, no loss of sex drive, no headaches, bleeding, cramps etc. I think that it is something that is very dependant upon the individual though, and you can't anticipate how your body will react to it. It's also nice to know that you are protected regardless of things like vomiting, antibiotics, etc.

I'll admit i've gained a lot of weight, but then again I also eat a lot of junk and do no exercise, so I don't think I can blame it on the implant!

Let me know how the removal goes please :)

Its hardly an op at all! They use a scalpel to make a tiny incision then pull it out, it does depend on how well it was inserted though - my first one was put in too deeply and it took nearly an hour to remove it! Sometimes you have to be referred to hospital for minor surgery to remove it apparently.

Hubby and i have never had a problem getting pregnant, its the staying pregnant we struggle with. We managed it with my darling girl though so i have hope for the future too :cloud9:

Perhaps you should ask about the coil? I know they aren't keen on giving it if you haven't had a baby but you never know..you may end up in my situation, charting, withdrawal and condoms every now and then! :dohh: Good luck honey :flower:

Eeek, thats scary!! Hopefully the sex clinic do it right!

And sorry for your losses, but lots of luck in the future :D

I was considering that actually. :shrug:Maybe they will consider it without a baby, my friend was put on it (shes 16) and was a virgin when they done it!!!

Hi,

I would like to share my good experience of Implanon - They're not all bad!

I had my first one for 3 years, it's full lifespan. I was terrible on the pill and tried so many of them, I thought I would give this a go and am pleased I did.

I found that I bled very little at all but it wasn't regular, this was my ONLY issue with it as I would never know when I was going to have a period but to be honest this really didn't matter to me. I found my weight was fine, my moods were great and generally it worked very well. So much so that I got the first taken out and replaced with another, which I had for about 18 months before taking out to TTC!

The putting in and taking out is not bad at all. It's a local anaesthetic and if you're like me and don't like needles you just look away!

The only weird part was feeling this tiny tube in my arm which was often fascinating for others!! I found it quite amusing.

I hope that whatever decision you make is right for you. I just thought I would share my better experience with you.

Jen x

I forgot to say - I fell pregnant within 3 months of having it removed. Was led to believe by others that it would take a year for fertility to return but the nurse who took it out said it's instant and I fell quite quickly after the removal

I forgot to say - I fell pregnant within 3 months of having it removed. Was led to believe by others that it would take a year for fertility to return but the nurse who took it out said it's instant and I fell quite quickly after the removal

Jen_0709 - Thank you so much for sharing that - i've been majorly stressing out worrying about how long it might take for my periods to come back, and whether i've screwed up my fertility by having the implant (mostly cos i've had pretty much no periods whilst on it)

You've made me feel so much better about it - thanks.

RoyalPython - I didn't get it taken out today - stupid NHS screwed up their appointments so I couldn't get it taken out today. I've got another appointment for Thursday, so hopefully i'll get it taken out then! I'll let you know how it goes.

hi there, i had implanon in for 6 years (one taken out and another put in) i had no problems really, NO periods at all, no mood swings although i have gained a little weight (about a stone) and i did loose my sex drive in the last year of having it in. i had it removed on the 26th april and had my first period on the 29th may as we are ttc. The removal was quick and left no bruising and i would recomend it to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->