In and out in 6 hours!

NuKe

mummy to 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
So I had my first Parentcraft class last Thursday, and for half of it we could ask a midwife any questions we had. One of them was 'How long will I be in hospital?' and due to NHS debt etc, if everything goes smoothly (no forceps etc) I will be out in 6 hours! Unless I go in at like 10pm or something. I'm actually really pleased, I love the idea of a homebirth but don't know how I'm gonna cope as this is my first bubs. So going home that soon after the birth sounds fab to me! My mum was shocked though! When she had me, she stayed in hospital for a week!! My, how times have changed!

I'm glad. I'm hating the idea of going into hospital. I'd do a home birth but this is my first time, and we live in a 1 bed flat and we have wooden floors and only a shower so it wouldn't seem ideal. 6 hours! :) x

When i was in hospital with my first a lady came in on my second day in hospital and she was discharged after 6 hours.

I couldnt even believe she was that nuts!

I was so tired I just couldnt imagine going home that soon and being a first time mum wanted the experience and advice from the midwives and so tried to absorb as much from them as I could.

I asked her why she was leaving so soon and she said 'well its my third and im used to it' - all the more reason to stay in I thought, have a couple of days rest without having the rest of the family to run around after.

I know some people dont like hospitals and would rather a home birth (i have toyed with the idea) but I think for me, I need the option of those couple of days to just recover a bit - before all the cheek pinchers start hammering down the front door when you get home!!

They wont be getting rid of me in 6 hours lol but I had defintely had enough on my third night and couldnt wait to get home, I missed oh too much

x

yes when we went for our hospital tour on saturday they said 'if all goes fine we like you to stay for six hours' lol.

I am assuming I will be a c section followed by Nicu so havent even thought about if it all goes fine

Im aiming to be in 24 or less I hate the idea. of being on a ward for too long, I want my sofa and bed and cuddles from my hubby. I do think 6 is s bit short for first time mums though, st least with 24 lo has had all the checks.

6 hours??? wow that would be fantastic - I was told I should be out within 24 hours and I figured that was good!

i went in at 2pm and was out at 11pm = 0 )

i was out 4 hours after i gave birth when usually they like to wait the 6 hours.
i could of stayed but i wanted to go home!
x

My mom went home the same day with all three of her babies, and I would really like NOT to be in the hospital for forever but the doctors here routinely keep patients at least two days. :( I do think it could be a good time for me to learn from the nurses, etc and the rooms at my hospital are very homey and comfortable, so hopefully if I do have to stay it won't be too bad.

I was told the standard was 6 hours. If you wanted you could go straight from the labour suite after 2 hours!!

I've now worked out (after being admitted) that the docs do thier rounds at 10am every morning. One lady had given birth at 5pm the day before and was allowed home. Another had her baby at 6am the day before (but couldn't leave at 10am that day as was too soon) so she had to wait until 10am the following day.

I was listening to the docs and they want baby to have had a pooey nappy and a wet nappy, and to be feeding ok before they leave.

Personally (even tho it's my first) I want to be out of there ASAP. The wards were noisy, stressed me out and generally there wasn't room to swing a cat! I wanna be home in my own bed with my creature comforts while I recover!

I am having my 4th and am looking forward to some quiet time just me and baby for as long as I can. I am having c-section so that changes things, but even with my first wanted to stay as long as I could to know that if I needed help someone was just a button push away. I say each to their own, and I am amazed at 6 hours OMG, brave women.

wow, where I am in Cornwall, uk I have been told that if it is a straight forward birth, the average discharge time is 2 hours after the birth. I have been told by the smaller midwife led unit that they won't have time to establish breastfeeding at the acute hospital, but will usually do one feed with you. The midwife at the smaller mw led unit suggested that when I am discharged that I could always pop into the mw led unit and they will go through breastfeeding if I don't feel confident.

wow, where I am in Cornwall, uk I have been told that if it is a straight forward birth, the average discharge time is 2 hours after the birth. I have been told by the smaller midwife led unit that they won't have time to establish breastfeeding at the acute hospital, but will usually do one feed with you. The midwife at the smaller mw led unit suggested that when I am discharged that I could always pop into the mw led unit and they will go through breastfeeding if I don't feel confident.

waow! 2 hours! is it a big hospital?

I thought maybe the reason mine gets you home in 6 hours is because its the biggest hospital in northern ireland- theres about 80 beds in the ward. really interesting to hear how this differs even accross the uk!

My hospital has the 6 hour discharge and the midwife unit I am hoping to go to is just when you are ready as there is no ward or beds to stay in.

My community midwife said that is can actually confuse you being in hospital for a longer time, there is a huge number of staff and change overs and she said they often have different opinions on feeding etc. I have been very happy with my community midwife care so I am hoping to get out as soon as poss and be home with all my comforts around me!

I think my hospital is 48 hours for first time and 24 hours after that. I don't mind though since they're private delivery and recovery suites and really quite comfortable and being my first, I'd like as much help as I can get in the beginning before being sent home!

I'm looking forward to staying 1-2 days. But our hospital is really nice and they are private suite rooms, similar to a nice hotel room. I have 3 kids at home and really will want to recover a bit before going home to the crazy'ness! Plus with my last baby she seemed fine after birth but about 18 hours later she had trouble breathing and got sent to the NICU where she stayed for 2 weeks. So i'm glad we were there still.

I dunno what it is at my hospital but when i had charlie i was home 10 hours after giving birth and man did i have too beg them too let me go home!! 2 or 3 hours would have been perfect for me!!

I'm not sure what our is but I hope o. An go home qui k I'm añui ious about hospitals so the least time I'm in the better then I can be home with mum and oh! X

i had forcepts with my son but i was up and about taking showers, peeing straight after giving birth and trying to poo lol.... but i was made to stay 2 days. Theres was absolutely nothing wrong with me. Dunno what that was about. I was well enough to walk out that night, infact I almost did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->