inapproriate gift for toddler

Scout

Reaction score
What do you do when someone gifts your toddler something you'd rather them not have? Especially when the person giving it is someone you're close with and who visits frequently just to play with your child?

The gift is a tabletop billiards table with accessories, which means it has 15 small hard balls (think marbles). And my daughter is 2 and a half, so she doesn't even know how to play billiards. She wanted to sleep with the balls last night bc she's obsessed with balls. So now I have this little pool table that will just sit somewhere, 2 pool sticks, the rack, and these 15 little balls that will end up all over the place, hopefully not ever in daughter's mouth (she's still putting stuff in her mouth). I'm not sure what to do with it. I mean, if it was given by someone I rarely see, I'd just put it up or give it to my 18 yr old niece who really wanted it, but my aunt is here at my house several times a week and I don't want to hurt her feelings.

I'd put it away and just be honest. Say something like, Lo realy liked it but is still putting things in her mouth so for her safety you have put it aside till she grows out of that phase.

I just put inappropriate toys up and away. My daughter received makeup and nail varnish ftom a friend at her 4th birthday. I feel it's inappropriate at her age so I just put it up in her Waldrobe. It'll either be re gifted to someone much older or ill let her have it when he is about 7-8. If you see the person often, and they mention where it is just say I've had to put it away as she was putting the balls in her mouth

I'd just put it away and say she loved playing with it but kept putting the balls in her mouth so you are putting it away for a few months until she grows out of it or you only ley her have it down when you can fully supervise (we have to do that with playdoh).

I would just put it up tell she is old enough to play.. And than I would explain to the friend that the gift is just a little bit to advanced for your child at this point but once she gets a bit older and can appreciate the toy and play with it properly than you will bring the toy out.. :flower:

Thanks ladies. I did decide to just be honest and I'm sure she'll understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->