Increased fussiness at 3 weeks?

KatieKoopa

Mama of 1, Pregs with 2!
Reaction score
I can't believe my LO is 3 weeks already!

I've noticed in the last few days she seems a lot more fussy. Usually its in the early morning, late evening and middle of the night (ugh!). Is this normal around 3 weeks? I feel like the last few days its been getting harder, not easier and I feel like such a horrible mum when I can't console her. :nope: Her sleep seems to be getting worse as well (from 3.5-4 hour blocks to 1.5 hour blocks).

Any tips or advice from seasoned mums? I'm feeling a bit like a failure today. :(

I had this about 4 weeks... i don't really have any advice but i did find it only lasted 2-3 days.

Good luck at persevering through it!

There is a major growth spurt around 3 weeks =). It might be that!!

Thanks ladies. Nights are so hard. I just feel so useless not being able to calm her down. :(

I had this earlier in the week but fingers crossed now it's easing off. She was feeding non stop and being really fussy.

I put it down to the growth spurt too. I think it usually lasts 2 or 3 days.

I've been experiencing the same thing. I've read in a couple different books that fussiness begins around week three and can get worse until about six weeks, where it begins to improve again. The best book on this is The Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Carp. He recommends the 5 S's: swaddle, sush (loud white noise), swing (or rocking, bouncing, jiggling), side or stomach position (NOT for sleeping just for comfort), and sucking. Try to do as many of these at once as you can. It helps. Good luck with calming your baby and getting some sleep.

If she is having a growth spurt is it worth upping her feed?

We definitely had this. I've got a 6 week old and in the 2nd/3rd week he was much more unsettled and I was freaking out about how I was going to cope with a toddler and a baby who was screaming if he wasn't being fed or asleep. But then after 3 weeks he just suddenly chilled out (to my relief!!). However the sleeps remained much much shorter. More like an hour. I think the sleepiness of the first few weeks doesn't last for long.

Unfortunately I think the constant sleeping of a newborn quickly fades away as they grow and they start to want to stay awake and explore and feed! My lo was a bit fussy around this time but has settled since and is now lovely and contented! It will (hopefully) pass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->