Induced

jadeybabe88

Reaction score
Been told being induced at 38 weeks so three weeks time never been induced whats it like and what do they do? X

I felt it was quite overwhelming with contractions and a lot of other people think that also.

They start by inserting something into the vagina and it helps start things off (usually) within so many hours. My waters broke after about 12 hours of having it in, and then contractions started almost straight away.

Sometimes it doesn't work and they have to try other things (which I don't know much about).

Once my contractions started they were close together and pretty strong, so just be aware you might not get the nice easy build up like you would if you naturally went into labour x

I was induced with DD1.
My contractions started on there own but wasn’t progressing so I had the gel which didn’t work .They then put me on a drip to see if that would work. Contractions started like PP said really fast and painful at first. Midwife thought I was dilating , but it was actually my DD1s waters pushing down , so when they did eventually break my waters I had hardly progressed. DD was getting distressed so ended up having forceps.

The worst part for me was being confined to the bed on the drip then obviously having the forceps .
I was 9 days over with DD1. I was in labour for 17 hours . Was so close to having an emergency c section apparently . I don’t remember much of it too much gas and air I think lol. I do remember DD1 actually being born and hearing her cry before they placed her on my chest . That’s the most special part ! I told her off for being naughty lol

I’d prepare yourself for a long labour (just in case ) hopefully it won’t go that way for you . Also try a birthing ball .

Hope things go well for you ! Soon have your little one here !

My induction, they inserted misoprostal. It's a pill they broke up into pieces and placed near/around cervix. The amount they use is based on your current cervix dilation/effacement. My first dose was at 11 pm, and they put in more every 4 hours. I contracted and got to 4 cm. At 8 am they popped my waters, and I was able to get to 6 cm. They started pitocin (lowest dose) at 12 pm, and upped it at 2 pm.

Contractions with pitocin are more intense than natural labor, imo, because natural labor progresses slowly where as you're kinda just thrown in it with induction. You can get an epidural to help the pain usually any time... I got gas & air (nitrous gas) since I'm scared of the needle in back. Went from 6cm to 10 by 4:30p and it was time to push. Born at 4:49.

I had a positive induction. You can sleep during the early stages, and I recommend it. I was exhausted by the next day!

With my induction with DS#2 at 37 weeks I was so stressed out that I was already contracting and at 5cm so they just let me go for about 12 hours and then when I stalled started pitocin. They punctured my waters and when I got to 7cm I tried to get an epidural but I progressed really fast when they turned up the pitocin and went from 7 to 10 in under 5 minutes.

If you can or plan to, get your epidural as soon as you can. The contractions added with the pitocin were horrible. I think I can manage natural with out it but if I have a 3rd and I am induced I will be getting the epidural. That was honestly the worst pain I have ever felt.

Your best bet it to ask your doctors/nurse/midwife what they are going to do, ask if you can sign the papers for the epidural right away (might save some time) and just have a plan in your head. I was induced with DS#1 too and didn't have these issues. My waters broke naturally but I wasn't contracting but it was a very very long labor even with pitocin. Complete opposite of my second.

I've had two inductions.

With both we arrived early morning, and after a few baby checks, and a check of my cervix (fun) they inserted a propes pessary into my cervix. Then I had regular monitoring every 3-4hours, just things like heart rate (baby) and things, nothing major. I was allowed to move about during that time, but not leave the hospital.

With no1, it did nothing. With no2, by about 6pm my contractions had started and he was born at 12.41am. They had to break my waters manually as they didn't break naturally, and to try and help things along.

With no1, because the propes didn't work, I stayed over night, and the next morning I was started on a drip (maybe pitocin?) at about 10am. That was in a delivery suite, and because I was attached to the drip I had to stay in the room the whole day, and was hooked up to monitors the whole time. That limited my movement quite dramatically. My contractions then started after about 4/5hours, again my waters were broken manually and my duaghter arrived just shy of 6pm.

Others have said the pitocin contractions were worst, but I found my second (just the pessary) birth much harder, maybe as he was back to back, though.

How it ends is so different for each person. My friend has had 3 inductions and 3 straightforward births. I've had 2, and had to have ventouse with no1 and forceps with no2.

Oh i dont want epidural ad that with my first two but ny last two just gas n air first time induction on this one x

I managed an induction with just gas and air so it is possible! It just feels incredibly overwhelming (my contractions were very close together, so I barely had a break). It got a bit too much for baby and they gave me something to slow them down to avoid a csection and it worked, and I felt a bit more in control then. By the time pushing came, I couldn't concentrate on using the gas and air and push.

You could always ask for pethadine I think it's called? Take the edge off the pain? My mom said it made her feel a bit queasy but everyones different. I did get offered it but they decided I needed more fluids instead so didn't end up with it on my drip! I'd be tempted to try it this time as I'm more scared of needles in my spine!

I wasinduced with my second baby and I found it a very positive experience. I wascontracting mildly within a couple of hours of having the pessary inserted and by the early hours of the next morning was in active labour. The pessary was inserted atabout 1:30pm and he was born at 3:15pm the following day. I had heard awful stories of two or three day induction processes so easvery grateful not to have gone through that x

I was so scared to be induced but honestly it worked out much better than I had ever hoped! I was induced with DS2 just over two weeks ago after he was 13 days overdue! It was much faster and intense than my labour and delivery with DS1 but that honestly wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

I was booked in for induction at 8pm. They ran some checks, sent DH home at 9pm and then a pessary was inserted at 9.30pm. I was having very small contractions from before the pessary but they genuinely felt like BH and I was also 1-2am dilated. I began to feel crampy almost immediately and by 10.30pm I was having contractions that were uncomfortable but entirely manageable every 5 minutes.

By 1.30am they had ramped up in their intensity and by 3.30 am I had asked for a stronger painkiller because I was finding the contractions much more painful. They were about 3 minutes apart and INTENSE. I dozed off for all of about 30 seconds and was woken up by a massive contraction that caught me so off guard that I cried out in pain and woke the poor woman next to me!

I then had my cervix checked and was 4-5cm dilated. I was told to call DH and tell him to get to the hospital immediately as I was going to the delivery suite. I was only in the delivery room 20 minutes before I was pushing. DS2 was born after 30 minutes of pushing on very limited gas and air only.

As I say it was super intense but only lasted just over 7 hours from the pessary being inserted to baby being born. Much quicker, and dare I say easier, than DS1 who was 2.5 days of latent (early) labour, 9 hours of active labour and 2 hours of pushing resulting in an assisted ventouse delivery and episiotomy! I didn't even need a stitch this time!

I was induced at 40+1 with dd.

I wasn’t massively favourable when induced and baby was back to back, but they didn’t really pay attention or notice that until much later.

I arrived at the hospital for 8am, waited a few hours for a room and had the pessary put in at about 10:30am. We were allowed to move around the hospital and grounds, but we secretly broke out and went to the retail park a few streets away!

I was in a lot of pain by the time the woman came round with my lunch, she went and got a midwife who told me it was just period pain as FTMs don’t respond that quick 🙄 - they gave me co-codamol which made me feel sick.

After lots of begging, around 2pm, they sent a student in, they discovered that I was over-contracting - 7 contractions in 10 minutes lasting between 30 seconds and two minutes, all of them moderate to strong. They removed the pessary and I got gas and air.

Then I started to be really sick because of the pain, co-codamol and gas and air. I had medication to stop me being sick. This was probably about 7pm. I was examined and I was 4cm so they broke my waters. I went on to progress to about 7cm really quickly.

Then, dds heart rate went wonky and I needed an emergency c-section. They gave me an injection to stop the contractions and more anti sickness medication so I had a little break while they were prepping surgery for me.

All in all, it sucked because I had a really intense labour and judging by how fast it all happened, I was probably close to the end, and I still had a c-section. So I had the exhaustion of labour plus the pain of the c section.

I've had 5 inductions with just gas and air. It's fine honestly. One they gave me two doses and I went too fast but just see how you go with your first dose.

I was induced with both of mine I have never experienced natural labour so I cannot compare but with both I had just the one pessary I was able to leave the hospital if I wanted too, bounce on a birthing ball etc they just needed to check me every now and then

DS - induced at 9.30am he was born 10.35pm same day
DD - induced at 11am she was born 7.30pm same day

Both just with Gas & Air - tbh I didn't think the contractions were that bad but then I haven't experienced normal labour to compare :shrug:

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->