Induction following waters breaking

Pielette

Mum to little men
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about induction. I don't know why, there's no reason why I should have to be induced exactly, but I feel like I need to be prepared for interventions the medical professionals may try to push on me.

I have already told my midwives that I will not consent to being induced if I go over my due date. But what about if my waters should break and contractions don't start quickly enough for their liking? What is the real risk of infection? Does anyone have any links to any studies or research?

I'm not sure but I've heard that the risk is lower than the NHS make out. I hope it doesn't happen to me either though!
You could always try natural induction methods I guess, if you HAD to. x

I did find a website about this as I had the same views on induction and my waters went early with my first. I had to have my daughter in hospital but luckily i wasn't induced and I was lucky enough to be in the birth centre as the labour ward was full. I'm not sure how true the website claims are is as i asked my midwife and she said she hadn't heard of no infection risk.. have a read and do some more research.. i was told it was rare for waters to break early but my SIL went through same as me at exactly same time and she was induced the day before I had my baby!

https://midwifethinking.com/2010/09/10/pre-labour-rupture-of-membranes-impatience-and-risk/

Had my second baby 5 weeks ago and he was born in his membrane! complete opposite. Had him at home :)

Thanks for that link Lillian, that's interesting :thumbup: I did think I'd heard that the risk is lower than they make out.

My hope is that this doesn't happen to me because I think it will be a lot easier to fight induction if I go overdue rather than this scenario.

I'd monitor my temp and not say anything until contractions started. I refuse to be held to the 24 hour rule. When I was examined at 8cm with my son he had no waters left but I have no recollection of them breaking. I imagine I had had a slow leak from my sweep 4 days previously as the mw joked 'ill need to bw careful not to break your waters as they're bulging'.

That's a good point Blah, I hadn't actually thought of the fact that I don't need to tell anyone :dohh: Monitoring my temp should do the trick, thank you.

My waters broke at 36 weeks with Tom. I was advised to go in to hospital due to it being per-term. When I go there they said that if my waters haven't broken within 24hrs then they will have to induce me due to infection. Luckily they started on their own about 4 hours later but I did feel like I was scare mongered in to a possible induction because he was early.

Now I know that it's the general rule after water's breaking (thank you :)) that they induce you after 24hrs, I will definately be holding out on telling them!..... Hoping of course that this LO doesn't come any earlier than Tom!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->