Info needed re thrush please :)

sunshine82

Reaction score
Hello :)

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of oral thrush in their little ones?
My ds is six weeks old and has a whitish coating on his tongue went to the doc today on advice of HV and she isn't convinced and if it is it is mild.
Anyway she has prescribed lo nystatn drops (sp?) and me some clotramazole (sp?!) cream to apply to nipples.
I read the leaflet and it said not to be swallowed?! How can I get around that when I am BF!? Really worried as don't want to use it and lo is affected? :( I've been told though both of us will need to treat or can pass back and forward!

Has anyone else had this cream? Would wiping it off before a feed be enough or would you not use it?

Waiting on call from doc.

Thanks ladies xxx

Do you have any thrush symptoms? If not I'd not medicate as I doubt it's thrush, it's hugely misdiagnosed. My little one had a white coating on his tongue until recently, it's due to the lack of saliva production at that age. X

I was prescribed this cream as well. Put it on right after you feed and then wash it off with some soap before you feed again. I usually use a baby wipe then a wash cloth after. It's a bother so I haven't been using it much, probably this I is why my babes thrush isn't clearing up. You can also put the nystatin on your nipples, but it stains things yellow so be careful what you are wearing. I was also told to wear disposable breast pads while being treated to minimize risk of reinfection. I can't believe your doctor didn't explain that to you :S

if it can not be washed off with a wash cloth it's likely thrush. and if mom isn't being treated as well it's notoriously hard to get rid of

Are there white patches on the inner cheeks/roof of mouth/back of throat? Most babies have white coatings on their tongues just from having a milk diet-- it just sticks to their tongue. If you can rub his tongue gently with a washcloth and the residue is removed/moved around without bleeding, it's not thrush. If it is thrush, I would actually look into gentian violet treatment-- it's more effective with fewer applications and you don't have to worry about removing it from your nipples to feed. It stains, but so does nystatin. Jack Newman's website has info on gv treatment if you wanted to have a look. Make sure you're sterilizing teethers, bottle nipples, toothbrushes, pump parts, etc each day of treatment. You can boil any cloth breast pads, too, or soak them in 10% rubbing alcohol, rinse, and then machine wash.

I had a cream when i was (misdiagnosed) with thrush, not sure what it was but didnt have to wipe off before feeding. I think white tongues are normal in babies from the milk doesnt nessessarily mean thrush:)

I was never able to scrapemthe white off my little boys tongue and it wasn't thrush, although I realise generally this isn't the case x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->