Information overload?

Interesting Thelilbump! I actually went through it all!

I am really interested in it,I don't do child linguistics but I do child and basic psychology.

Anyway,I was told to introduce French to her simulatunously when she learns the basics of English.Or to have one person speak to her in French while the other only in English.
As for the Croatian,I read and was told that she will be able to pick it up bit by bit at the smae time.

Now,I know children must see this as a reaction.When a child hears the language,the rection will be speaking the same language in return.Almost like a reflex at a young stage.
It will only later in life become more distinctive and will start to divide them and see them as three different languages...

I'd say go for it. Imagine her CV when she's 18 - fluent in 3 languages!!! Not many people can say that they are actually FLUENT in more than 2!!!

I was concerned about this too (we're going to have 4 languages, 3 at home + one in the society around) so I contacted a panel of professional linguist. They all agreed that babies are very good at handling multiple languages. Ideally, pick one language per person plus the third one shared. And start them all from the very beginning. But even if you all speak all three languages, the baby has an amazing capability to learn to separate the languages. So no worries!!

Just be prepared to the fact that multilingual babies can start speaking later than monolingual ones. This is nothing to worry about, but good to know in advance.

I think it's a brilliant gift to your child :)

I'd go for it Rae! :)
And the baby signing,my mum took my lil sis.And it is amazing how they communicate with signs so early on! It's fun to,lots of mums go.I shall be going, ;)
And as for the language's,I can't speak none other than English, boo! :(

Interesting Thelilbump! I actually went through it all!

I am really interested in it,I don't do child linguistics but I do child and basic psychology.

Anyway,I was told to introduce French to her simulatunously when she learns the basics of English.Or to have one person speak to her in French while the other only in English.
As for the Croatian,I read and was told that she will be able to pick it up bit by bit at the smae time.

Now,I know children must see this as a reaction.When a child hears the language,the rection will be speaking the same language in return.Almost like a reflex at a young stage.
It will only later in life become more distinctive and will start to divide them and see them as three different languages...

language acqusition was 1 of my modules, it was sooo hard!! I hope that previous post made sense, i was worried i mighta made it too simple coz its really complex. I deffo think children should learn more than 1 langauage because it be a great advantage and then they'd probably learn a third at school. its when to introduce the different languages. I think if it was me personally i'd wait until basic english is grasped but try hard to introduce a new language before they're 3. Guess it depend on the complexity of the langauge aswell.

And to sign and talk is at the same time is the best way to introduce sign language in my opinion because they're actually learning both the languages at the same time. They can hear the phonemes and see the symbols at the same time so in theory the brain will interpret both.

Haha i made this way too technical ain't i :blush:

language acqusition was 1 of my modules, it was sooo hard!! I hope that previous post made sense, i was worried i mighta made it too simple coz its really complex. I deffo think children should learn more than 1 langauage because it be a great advantage and then they'd probably learn a third at school. its when to introduce the different languages. I think if it was me personally i'd wait until basic english is grasped but try hard to introduce a new language before they're 3. Guess it depend on the complexity of the langauge aswell.

And to sign and talk is at the same time is the best way to introduce sign language in my opinion because they're actually learning both the languages at the same time. They can hear the phonemes and see the symbols at the same time so in theory the brain will interpret both.

Haha i made this way too technical ain't i :blush:

:rofl: No,I love it!

Go as technical as you want! It's part of my profession too....so it's good to hear it!

I also think that it's great for a child to be bilingual(or more) from a young age.
I think that French is probably the most complex of the languages I want to teach her.Croatian and English are pretty simple.
A person can start speaking English within a year from the the beginning of learning.

Sign language,unfortunantly,I don't know.I would love to though.
Rae is the brainy on in this!:D

I actually found sign language easier than french, and I grew up in French school haha. It only took a few weeks to pick it up.

Edited: BUT...I did learn this when I was really young with my sister because for some reason she was learning it when she was in grade 2 or something. I think there was a deaf child in their class and their teacher started teaching them to sign. So of course, being in grade 4, I wanted to learn it too haha.

Lol well in French i can't say anymore than hello, whats your name, and what my name is! After that i'm stuck didn't do it in school. My OH is good at languages so i'm hopin he'll teach LO. As for BSL i'd love LO to learn, may look into these baby groups previously mentioned.

I think its a great idea to teach your children other languages from an early age, when they can pick it up much easier. I can speak French, but only at an intermidiate level. The nursery school which I have chosen (for when I return to work) teaches the children basic French, and I think it's a really great idea.
I'm also definitely going to look into some baby signing classes, as I've heard several people talk about these, and they sound great.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->