Inlaws want me to be induced so they can be here for the birth

That is totally ridiculous. I can't even believe they would ask you to do that, for the sake of a cruise, no less. One of the most ridiculous in-law stories I've heard yet, and there are a lot of them on this forum.

I don't know much about induction, but I always want to let nature take its course unless something is actually medically wrong. I haven't done much research on it, but from what I understand induction can make the contractions more intense (and painful!) and sometimes lead to complications. I would research it fully before deciding, so at least you have some medical facts to give them, besides just telling them off. But I'd be sorely tempted to just tell them off!

I think the other ladies have summed it up nicely- to be honest I am furious for you and if it was me I would have told them where to shove it.
If the queen can wait for kate to have her baby naturally I'm sure your in-laws can too.

Id also let DH have it for supporting them!

Omg. Girl! U would not ever be wrong for saying no to that! In fact I think THEY are wrong to ask u to do such an invasive thing for THEIR selfish reasons.

If it were me that would be a big fat 'hell no!' I would
Be so offended they even asked TBH.
If they are so concerned about being there for the birth they postpone their cruise, after all they go on most days of every single year!

I would laugh it off out loud like the ridiculous request it is!

I would literally go, OH NO HAHA HAHA, Oh you cannot be seriously asking me to make a major medical decision based on your need for a vacation? Hahaha, good one.

And I would hope it embarrassed them. Because they should be. Selfish rude faces.

I think that is possibly the worst in law thread I've read on here and I've read a lot! You poor thing!

In UK there is NO WAY a doctor would agree to that. After being really ill with pre-e and hellp at my daughter's (overdue) birth I was told any future babies I would be induced a bit early to lower risks. But that was quoted as in week 39 - so not even a full week early and that's where there's a medical reason. If your doctor agreed to such a thing I'd find a new doctor!

I think that is possibly the worst in law thread I've read on here and I've read a lot! You poor thing!

Haha, I know, right? Outside of direct neglect, this is right up there with the craziest.

My inlaws are going to benefit from this in a funny way, because now if they ever do or say something that annoys me, I'm going to find myself thinking, "Oh well... at least they didn't expect me to induce my baby so they could get on with their big plans for kicking back at the seafood buffet and shuffleboard deck on a floating retirement home."

I am appalled and gobsmacked!!!! In the UK they wouldn't even give me sweep when I explained hubby was military and would be away, they don't induce even if the dads go on deployment. To interfere with Mother Nature because of a cruise is disgusting!!!! Inductions terrify me! Tell them and husband to stop being so selfish, this is a human life we're talking about not a FedEx delivery.

Glad I'm not the only one terrified of induction. I was shitting myself at the thought and all MIL could say was 'oh good I'll be a granny by Sunday' how to make you feel like a blinking cargo ship.

I had 2 sweeps plus a self poke about as I was crapping it over induction. I was even considering doing a runner if they wouldn't let me go another week.

If fingers cross I do get pregnant again I'll be adding a week or 2 to my official date to avoid too many questions and phone calls at the end.

Thanks ladies for all of your support. I really have a hard time with my in-laws and don't ever say much or really talk to them at all. They're planning a family vacation to disneyland when i'll be 32 weeks pregnant and i told them the doctor advised against me going in case of pre-term labor and they laughed at me like i was crazy. I talked to my mom about it the other day and she told me, "you're the one who is pregnant so you can decide whatever you want" Which is nice to know she will support me in any decision i make.

If it comes down to it and my husband asks the doctor because i won't, i'll just tell them it's not something im interested in and would rather go into labor on my own. If they want to induce me a week after my due date - go for it. But no way am i going to be induced early.

Im glad to hear of your moms support! I am sure that is very helpful.

I think you are being sensible. Def stick to your guns

And woah! :shock: I just noticed you are only 20 weeks...what in the world are your ILs thinking planning a trip right around your EDD?!? That is insane! surely they have known for a while now that you've been pregnant and surely they could have chosen a time far before your EDD or there after? ...wow the nerve...no wonder you dont talk to them much! :lol:

Im glad to hear of your moms support! I am sure that is very helpful.

I think you are being sensible. Def stick to your guns

And woah! :shock: I just noticed you are only 20 weeks...what in the world are your ILs thinking planning a trip right around your EDD?!? That is insane! surely they have known for a while now that you've been pregnant and surely they could have chosen a time far before your EDD or there after? ...wow the nerve...no wonder you dont talk to them much! :lol:

Oh they knew I was pregnant long before this even was thought of! They came to me saying we were thinking about a cruise in December and looking at going the first week- which is when you are due. Ridiculous!!! But it's really sad because them doing this sort of thing does not surprise me at all.

No way would I be booking a holiday for 12 weeks time when you are pregnant. I had SPD kick in at 22 weeks every step I took hurt. Yes I did have a holiday at about 26 week but it was a beach holiday. I concluded I was going to be in pain no matter what i did so I might as well be sat on a beach or at the side of a pool than at my desk.

No way would I book a holiday to Disneyland where you'll be walking about all day and not be able to go on half the rides. You just do not know how you are going to be feeling at 32 weeks. If they ask again I would give an out and out NO because you might not be fit to do Disneyland and would rather have a Babymoon with your husband.

Any further coments about being induced would seriously be met with "after you've had a poo surgically removed from your arsh hole"

I really do pity you with these people, if you are not careful they will walk all over you esp once baby is here. MIL's constant presure to FF is what kept spurring me on to BF to 14mths - I couldn't handle the thought of her giving my baby a bottle.

Holy cow!! What is wrong with people! This is the birth of your child, not like some small event! Why should you ruin (not the right word, hopefully you get my meaning) your son's bday and your Thanksgiving so that they aren't inconvenienced! I would certainly tell them off! I would not even consider it.

I am appalled and gobsmacked!!!! In the UK they wouldn't even give me sweep when I explained hubby was military and would be away, they don't induce even if the dads go on deployment. To interfere with Mother Nature because of a cruise is disgusting!!!! Inductions terrify me! Tell them and husband to stop being so selfish, this is a human life we're talking about not a FedEx delivery.

Love this!

:shock: What a ridiculous request. Don't , whatever you do , agree to anything - dont ever let them think they have a say in your life!

Just started reading this thread and WOW! They are being extremely selfish asking you to do this for them! Have they reached their final payment date yet? If not, they can cancel the cruise with no penalty and choose a time that would be more suitable. Which cruise line? (I work for a travel agency).

How would they react if they induced you just to please them and something went horribly wrong? From the sounds of it they wouldn't care much. I'm shocked your husband is pressuring you this way too! I'm at 33 weeks and I wouldn't even consider going anywhere too far from my home hospital in case I go into labour!

Same thing happened to me with DD1.My inlaws were up here for her birth.I was only two days over and feeling pressured by them I stupidly was induced.After I had her my OB told me I would have went naturally on my own the next day.I will never let someone talk me into it again unless they have a legit mesical reason.I still regret it even though DD1 is perfectly healthy.It's your choice.Do what is right for you and your baby

Just started reading this thread and WOW! They are being extremely selfish asking you to do this for them! Have they reached their final payment date yet? If not, they can cancel the cruise with no penalty and choose a time that would be more suitable. Which cruise line? (I work for a travel agency).

How would they react if they induced you just to please them and something went horribly wrong? From the sounds of it they wouldn't care much. I'm shocked your husband is pressuring you this way too! I'm at 33 weeks and I wouldn't even consider going anywhere too far from my home hospital in case I go into labour!

The cruise hasn't even been booked yet- that's how ridiculous it is!

Then I say too bad so sad! If they think a cruise is more important than the birth of their grandchild then they don't deserve to even be there! So sorry you're going through this girl!

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard on this forum!
This is your baby, a tiny human that is growing inside you, and it will come when it and you are both ready. Not to coincide with someone's holiday schedule. If I were you I would tell them where to go, induction is stressful on the mother and baby and should only be used as a last resort when mum and baby are in danger, not because they want it to fit in with their holidays.
It's insane. I can't believe anyone would ask you to do that. I would also be giving my OH a rocket up the ass for agreeing! I wouldnt even consider it myself. Your baby will come when it's good and ready and if they don't want to delay their holiday then I'm sure they will have plenty of time after they get back to see it, if if that's important for them to be there then they will have to delay their holiday!
Don't even think about upsetting them, your baby comes first and you shouldn't put unnecessary strain on either of you by choosing an induction for no good reason. I would also hope the hospital wouldn't even consider it for such a crazy reason!
Stay strong, you have to out your foot down with in-laws! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->