Insight on first prenatal appt...

2Pups4Kids

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

My first prenatal appointment is scheduled for Dec 2nd and I'll be 10 weeks... when I initially set up the appointment, they just gave me a container for a urine sample to bring in the day of my appointment and told me I'd be seen by the clinic's obstetrician... and that was it! I haven't had anything else done yet--no blood work, nothing. Just a quick check up from my family doctor and that's about it.

Have any of you ladies experienced this? I'm from Canada (prov of Quebec) and don't know what the process is going to look like...:shrug:

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

They will usually do all that on the day of your appointment. Height, weight, bmi, blood pressure, urine sample, blood - a lot of it, 1 million questions etc

In saying this, I'm not from Canada but I think it's pretty much the same everywhere? I didn't even get a sample bottle before hand. Literally everything is done on the day. So you're ahead if anything, lol.

x

They will usually do all that on the day of your appointment. Height, weight, bmi, blood pressure, urine sample, blood - a lot of it, 1 million questions etc

In saying this, I'm not from Canada but I think it's pretty much the same everywhere? I didn't even get a sample bottle before hand. Literally everything is done on the day. So you're ahead if anything, lol.

x

No scan/ultrasound you think? Even at 10 weeks? :/

Probably not :(

It's annoying!! Once again it may be different in Canada but my experience is they are really reluctant to give early scans. I was 9+2 at my first appointment only 2 days ago, they concluded that I'm an extremely high risk pregnancy, I miscarried my first because of low progesterone, AND I'm borderline diabetic and with all 3 of those things against me, they STILL refused to scan me or even let me hear the heartbeat!

I have had 2 scans in the early pregnancy unit because of abdominal pain already otherwise I'd be so anxious :/

There's a good chance they may try and find the heartbeat though so you can listen, but they don't seem to like doing that either anymore as it can be so hard to find and then make you worry, which is why a lot of women are just buying at home dopplers. :shrug:

Because your 12 week scan won't be far, it's likely they'll wait until then. Are you positive of your LMP too? They're less likely to give scans if you know pretty much when you conceived. Early dating scans are usually given if you have no clue how far you are.

Sorry, essay! x

Well, I happen to know my exact date of lmp AND conception date, and both line up perfectly with due date predictors... maybe I should lie and say I have no idea... ;) Haha just kidding. I'm jealous because my sister-in-law (who is also expecting) had a scan at 6 weeks or so already... she's now 11 weeks along. So lucky! Ah well. :p

Haha, I know! My 12 week scan is on the 21st and if I'd not had those 2 early scans I'd be ripping my hair out.

You may get lucky though!

When i was pregnant with my first LO i was so nervous, plus it was my first. I told my doctor i needed to see the scan that something was there and i had my scan at 7 weeks, i wouldn't do that now unless i suspected something bad. They had to do internal scan, very intrusive and i hated the experience. This time around i will wait for the 12 week dating scan.

I would be very surprised if they did not give you a scan at 10 weeks. Usually the first appointment is booked between 8-12 weeks specifically for this purpose. For me, they also took about 5 vials of blood and urine.

Guess I'll have to wait and see! I've since found out that they have an ultrasound machine at the clinic and there's only one obstetrician at the clinic who takes care of all the pregnant ladies in my town...so it's either everything happens that day or I'll have to wait and book the scan when I go in, hoping it's not too long of a wait... thanks for the insight!

Well.. had some brown spotting yesterday evening/last night with mild cramping.. calles info sante (quebec health hotline thing) who recommended I go see a doctor today.. so here I am, waiting to see that all is alright... this isn't really the way I wanted to be seen early (and I'm sure/hoping it's nothing).

I'm 12.4 weeks I have yet to give urine or blood in annoyed. I think bc of my recent history of miscarriage they don't want to jump to ahead they haven't even giving me paper work about dos and fonts what meds are safe. It's frustrating me I have had 5 on office scans and 1 er scan and nothing yet! For first time this is normal even if this isn't your first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->