Interesting Psychology Article on CIO

I'm sorry, but when I was a preschool teacher, we would not leave children to sob and self settle if they were really upset, regardless of what a parent said. This was per the instruction of my head teacher.

I'm sorry, but when I was a preschool teacher, we would not leave children to sob and self settle if they were really upset, regardless of what a parent said. This was per the instruction of my head teacher.

Yeah I couldn't leave a child.. some nurseries though follow a more AP way and I think the parents are informed of this beforehand.

some parents would insist we didnt rock their child to sleep......even though the babies would scream and cry, literally cry themselves to sleep.

:cry::nope:

I know.....it was hard but we had to follow parents wishes.

I'm thinking of registering as a childminder and will not take babies because of this.

Also, because most ap babies who bedshare with the mother don't seem to self settle until they're at least 1.5, I'm not sure I beleive that all these babies did on their own. I think a lot of people outside of b&b do cc/cio much younger than 6 months. I even know people in real life who have.

I know some babies do self settle youngish on their own, but I think thats the exception. The AP boards where parents will not leave babies for more than a minute are filled with questions about when will they finally learn to self settle.

I've been trying to find a way to word my post so it sort of reflects what you said in the bolded bit. I do think self-settling is something that, if it was up the baby, would come much later on.

some parents would insist we didnt rock their child to sleep......even though the babies would scream and cry, literally cry themselves to sleep.

What were their reasons, do you know?

Yes, becuase its not what they did at home and didnt want them to get 'use' to being rocked or with someone with them whilst they went to sleep as they were not happy to do that with them at home.

i work in a pre-school now and we dont leave children crying but in nurseries there were some parents who's strict instructions were to leave their babies to go to sleep by themselves...... we would talk to the parent to ask if we could sit near their child or at least go in every few mins to calm them down some were happy for us to do that and some werent ........a nursery is a buisness and the parents are the customers.

Its one reason i would never go back to nursery work.

we had parents with strict rules to how much sleep their babies could have to.

the majority of babies i have looked after age 3 months plus self settled.... or had a dummy they didnt need an adult to get them to sleep.
One of my daughters self settled from 9 weeks old...i did not cc or cio...... This is my own experience............after a feed i would put her in her cot pop on mozart and she would fall asleep by herself without crying. some babies just do. x

^ but thats not self-settling. Mozart was settling her (OT but maybe she will become a musical genius...)

^ but thats not self-settling. Mozart was settling her (OT but maybe she will become a musical genius...)

hee hee.........she doesnt need the music to sleep though .........but saying that at 2 and a half she still listens to her classical music at bed time but can and will fall asleep without it and she is a bright spark x

O/T .............lightworker debates has been quiet ....any ideas for new topics? lol x

I'm thinking of registering as a childminder and will not take babies because of this.

Also, because most ap babies who bedshare with the mother don't seem to self settle until they're at least 1.5, I'm not sure I beleive that all these babies did on their own. I think a lot of people outside of b&b do cc/cio much younger than 6 months. I even know people in real life who have.

I know some babies do self settle youngish on their own, but I think thats the exception. The AP boards where parents will not leave babies for more than a minute are filled with questions about when will they finally learn to self settle.

I co-slept with my LO for 6 months, he has always self settled. He has never needed help to get to sleep ever. He has slept through the night since 5 months and very rarely wakes during the night and when he does it's very easy to get him back to sleep. Whether it's nature or nurture i will never know, but I followed AP (loosely) and I'm convinced that is the reason why I have such a fantastic sleeper and fiercely independent, confident toddler :thumbup:

O/T .............lightworker debates has been quiet ....any ideas for new topics? lol x

lol ... yeah totally..I always feel bad cuz I feel it is so quiet in here, but I don't have any new topics to discuss...I am useless haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->