Internal Stitches - OUCH!

VGibs

NTNP=#4 on the way
Reaction score
HELLO!

I had my baby girl almost 2 weeks ago and I had some internal stitches. The midwife wouldnt tell me how many. I had virtually no advice as to keep care of them and kind of googled what to do. I am finding that where the stitches are is very itchy and kind of sore. Is this normal for 2 weeks after birth? My mother said the stitches themselves would have dissolved by now but I am worried that they dissolved and came undone. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this normal??

I had internal stitches and found it itchy after about two weeks. I was scared they were infected or something, but the itching stopped after a few days or so. How long have they been itching? I think itching is a sign of healing...I'm not sure if internal stitches take longer to heal or not, but I found mine didn't feel "healed" until probably three weeks or so. If you are really worried, or the itching persists, I would get it checked.:flower:

Itchy is good. I had a big episiotomy due to forceps birth, so it took quite a while to heal. I'd say at least 6 weeks...for me it was longer.

They have been itchy for the past 2 days...after I added epsom salts to my sits bath :S

I had them too, i don't know how many but it took them about 1hour to do them.. i was having discomfort for around 3-4 weeks, especially when walking/sitting x

I had internal stitches and mostly didn't feel them. I wasn't told anything about how to look after them, apart from definitely no sex before 6 weeks and to take daily baths, so I assume you don't really have to do anything special. I was told that I would feel itchy when the stitches dissolved though, and did feel a tickly sensation 2/3 weeks after.

I had some internal stitches too - they did dissolve by themselves, and probably took between 2-3 weeks. I also had some itching but after about 3wks-ish I felt like I was starting to get back to normal. This might sound weird - but have you had a look?? If it is red and inflamed then maybe get them looked at, but I think it sounds like they are just healing. There is no real aftercare for internal stitches, other than being careful not to irritate them with soaps etc and keeping the area clean - which goes without saying really!
Congratulations on your little girl! x

I had them too - all I was told was to take daily baths with warm water and a few drops of both tea tree oil and lavender oil. Didn't notice much discomfort and no itchiness.

Did your midwife (the home visiting one) not check them? Mine had a look a couple of days after I got out of the hospital and a few more days after that. She said one stitch was gaping a bit but that was all.

No I have not had them looked at yet because there was a mix up with the midwives...I go in on Tuesday though to the office so they can have a look then

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->